Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46

Author Topic: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 27 - It is not over until it is over  (Read 73407 times)

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 1 - Adventure!
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:25 am »

Ktimbi, heeding the gesture of his companion, began crushing a middleeastern opium poppy and straining it into flask of cloudy white liquid. He hands the container over to Falion and nods his head toward the interrogated peasant.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 11:23:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:20:36 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 02:04:41 pm »

Falion leaned back slightly to whisper to Davie. "It won't hurt trying. Bandits are a motley group, I've heard."
"And... who's saying these people are bandits?" Davie asked, staring at Falion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »

Falion turned to his brother-in-arms while holding the bag Kthimbi gave in one hand, "Huh, good point. But surely there must be some refugees from the ransacked villages here that may understand English. Not saying those right here are bandits, but a bit of interrogation won't hurt." He made sure to whisper back as Adrienne took the front.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:11:14 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 03:35:39 pm »

Arcane Steel - Combat

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>>>Since there is one person who hasn't posted yet and it may take some more time for them to do so, I'll use the time to make an interlude about combat. Also, because of that, I am thinking about establishing a three-day time limit for posting. If the player doesn't post until then, their character will just stand still.

>>>I am considering using various types of dice to represent different damage outputs (less GM based, probably bloodier and simpler to assign damage), or simply using a proportion system to make everything fit in the d6 model, but, aside from that, there is one thing I am certainly doing, which is scaling the damage for different weapons according to size and damage type (blunt, slashing, piercing).
Let's say we have a common light footman:

Weapon: Very Generic Longsword (d6);
Armor: Very Generic Light Armor (+1 def);
Shield: Very Generic Face;
Dodge: d4;
Skill level: Weaponized peasant.

>>>The main problem about edged weapons around that time was an ingenious technique called surface hardening. It basically made blunt weapons to be considered better over edged, as their impact could still be transferred through the armor. Our "main characters" are from nobility, and their armor is at least ☼this☼ good, thus their armor, even if light, has a very nicely done surface strenghtening and overall structure. Due to this advantage, even their light armor will be better than the enemies'. Now let me try to elaborate:

Falion Arvîndell
Weapon: ☼Glaive☼ (d7+2 for the horse charge);
Armor: ☼Dragoon Plate☼ (taking the "plate" as medium. +3);
Shield: ☼Heater☼ (Chance of blocking something. Dunno. Trying to figure the shielding system)
Dodge: d6;
Skill level: *Dragoon noble*.
((Ignore the DF-like quality rating.))

I may try to illustrate:
Falion: [3] vs [1] (our footman friend is not quite the agile fella, is he?); [6 (placement, head)]; [6+2]-[2 (center of the chest and helm get an extra point)]. Well. There goes the combat description.

"Ileid initiates a short charge, galloping quickly as the knight atop the steed clutches the glaive in his hand. [3]vs[1] The enemy footman is either taken by surprise or does not have time to dodge at all as Falion runs him through. [6] The glaive drives a straight path to his head [6+2-2] and through his brain, running through its length, pushing pieces of steel forward and stopping at the opposite side of the light metal helmet. The masterfully designed glaive's ornate head breaks free with a yank, now covered in blood and brain matter which drip and fall as the plate-wearing dragoon prepares for another charge."

Reverse would go:
"The Very Generic Light Footman rushes towards Falion and [5-1]vs[1] attempts a horizontal slash against the [1] dragoon's breastplate's side [5(wow)-3], but the lack of power of the longsword conspires against him, as the blade is diverted by the steel armor; the knight feels some of the impact, but is unharmed, while his breastplate is slightly damaged."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And I guess battle will take place that way. Melee attacks by cavalry are bound to be devastating against ground troops. Which means that if you lose your horse you have high chances of being severely screwed. Wizards/mages will get the same bonus dodge as Adrienne, for example, who dons a light armor. It is also advised they try to avoid being focused.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:49:43 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Interlude - Combat
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »

Now our only fear (as knights), are spears and pikes.  :P The terrain (if included) would be a dampener, like muddy soil.

Archers are scary. Thanks for the battle info Caellath!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »

Arcane Steel - Turn 2 - Uh oh.

The birds started to fly lower, announcing the incoming rain while the small amount of cattle nearby started to be herded towards the recently-built barns. And breaking the villagers' everyday routine our merry bunch decided to get information from the locals, wisely judging it would be too dangerous to search for the mercenaries without prior information. They just should have gagged the frank knight.

Davie went ahead and asked first, using his prussian nobility flair to help him win the hearts of his people:
Ask the people about the bandits.
"Meine Landsleute, ich habe gehört, dass Sie Probleme mit Banditen haben. Ist es wahr?"
[2+1=3] The closest peasant seemed a little frightened by the mention of the bandits, but got closer and told Davie those were southwards, and although the settlement inhabitants did not know exactly where, the people here was already preparing to leave.

Right as Maximilian tried to gather more information, Adrienne gave a sour taste of why the elders had tried to prevent any youngster from having too much contact with their biased families:
Adrienne stayed quiet for one whole second.

"Prussiennes chiens hors la loi! Nous allons vous montrer une petite mesure de la miséricorde, si tu veux nous conduire à vos amis criminels!

Suivez mes ordres, vous les paysans sans Dieu!!"
she bellowed, in heavily accented French.

Action: Arrogantly insist the entire village is made of criminals, and we will show them mercy if they tell us everything about the local bandit problem.
[4-2=2] She was lucky there was no living soul in that village able to speak her language, although a few were able to discern some of the words, among them "mercy" and "criminals". There is no need to say they got the overall idea and rustling could be heard as pistols, crossbows, pitchforks, short swords and all kind of minor weapon was taken by prussians hiding inside the wooden buildings. They seemed only to be waiting, though. Probably the only thing that saved the frank from getting attacked from all sides at that very moment was the presence of prussian nobility, and not even that would hold for too long.

Falion, on his side, also tried to get some information:
"In the name of [God], we are knights of the realm and seek out those bandits that terrorize your fellowmen, speak now of their whereabouts and we shall deal with them justly!" He knew the Code would keep him from harming any innocent, pertaining to those peasants in front of him, but he'd bet they didn't know of the Code.

Aid in interrogation for the knowledge of said bandits until we know their location!
[2] ...To no avail. The nearest adult man just stood still and kept staring at him. This seemed like a good time to learn their language... ((You failed. You can input an action in the next turn, but before that Falion will still have to be dragged off by his mates if they decide to leave as he keeps trying to get some information.))

The gunslinger girl just decided to follow Davie:
April rolled her eyes. "You guys are being too mean to them and you're probably not going to do much! Davie should probably ask about the bandits because he knows how to speak German, and he's probably known around here, see look they're smiling at him!" April absentmindedly stroked Candy, and followed Davie.
[5] She followed him so skillfully she could have been mistaken as his shadow! If Davie's shadow had breasts, that is. While following her wizard, April also found a small pouch full of gold pieces on the ground. +1 stuffed pouch.

The african shaman is a fast-thinker and quickly concocts some kind of potion!
Ktimbi, heeding the gesture of his companion, began crushing a middleeastern opium poppy and straining it into flask of cloudy white liquid. He hands the container over to Falion and nods his head toward the interrogated peasant.
[1+1=2] The peasant must be suicidal, as he took the container (thinking it was a gift?) from Falion's hand and drank from it. Unfortunately, the man gets as high as the Everest and walks away like a drunkard. It seems he is pretty sensitive to that stuff.

Wilhelmina just followed the group absently-minded.
[5] Her absent-mindedness worked in her favor, as she tasted the humid air and had some "magic" ideas. She now has a better chance of succeeding on weather magic (which is awfully difficult).

>The angry stares now focus on half of the party. Things may get pretty ugly during the next turn. Remember they are common folks. It is highly unadvisable to slaughter them all at all. Also, quite a lot of 2's you got there.

The Players

Dwarmin: Knight

Tiruin: Knight

Powder Miner: Knight

NUKE9.13: Wizard

agentorangesoda: Wizard

Tarran: Wizard
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »

Use hand gestures to articulate my questioning, not involving physical contact.

'I will get answers!'

"Did they say anything useful, Sire Davie?"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:28:00 pm by Tiruin »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 2 - Uh oh.
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2012, 12:46:30 pm »

"The bandits are south, and the people here are also preparing to leave.

And I also believe the people here are ready to take blood. Madam Adrienne, I suggest you never try to convince a village in a foreign language ever again." Davie said, angrily pointing at Adrienne in a looking-down way.

Try to calm down the villagers.

"Beruhige dich, sie ist nur ein Dummkopf Französisch. Und wenn du ihr weh tun müssen, lassen Sie sie mindestens die Hälfte am Leben."
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »

Since Ktimbi has no idea what is being said he dismounts and drags the drugged up peasant back to be interrogated.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:40 pm »

April hastened to stop Ktimbi. "No, no, no, don't be dragging away people! They might attack us..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2012, 07:10:45 am »

Adrienne had a sweet little smile on her face. To all appearances, she seemed to act properly upbraided by Davie.

Secretly though, she leaned over in her horse, and whispered to him.

"...Are we almost done with this little song and dance yet? I have no love for peasants, but I'd not dull my blade hacking through the press, either."

Action: Adrienne acts properly contrite. Or pretends to.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 01:32:15 pm »

"No, we are not done. Sit your knightly arsch down and shut up or go on alone."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »

Adrienne raised one eyebrow, her smile turning into a smirk.

"Hah!

I like you, Sir Davie-you speak like a soldier. And, I like a man who speaks to me like that."

At that, she punched him in the shoulder chummily, laughing.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46