Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46

Author Topic: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 27 - It is not over until it is over  (Read 73338 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 17 - Searing Bolts
« Reply #435 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:29 am »

Arcane Steel - Turn 18 - Armor-piercing Hollowpoint

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Having experimented the cleansing power of fire, one of the bandits has been taken down, but even then the remaining filth runs as fast as they can, uncaring about their fallen companion and desperately trying to disappear out of the squad's line of sight to avoid being destroyed by fire, arrow or blade. The odds are against the pursuers as the protection provided by the trees only grows the more the longbowmen scamper into their territory...But Lady Luck smiles upon the criminals no more.

Adrienne tugs on Lernea's reins as she takes out her seldomly-used crossbow and takes aim, noticing the thick canopy of the trees will make it almost impossible for a bolt to hit its mark from such a distance. By her side, Ilyria also carefully prepares her shot. Both women do not utter a word, and the silence is only broken by the sound of strings propelling the bolts forward. They pierce the air with prodigious speed, flying with the same grace of the shooters. [6-3]v[1](4,5-1-1);[6-3]v[1](6,5-1-2) Both bolts avoid hitting wood, leaves or ground, and both only stop after losing some of its speed due to the long range, finding an obstacle clad in armor. The last of the three runners falls forward after one of the bolts hits the mark and carves its way through his right arm's armor, causing a minor bleeding as the tip of the metal subtly sinks into his skin, while the other pierces through the man's helmet and gets stuck milimeters away from his scalpel. Dellus watches the backs of the running archers and concentrates. [2] Energy flows through his body, causing his grimoire to emit a light aura as he points two of his right hand's fingers towards the longbowmen, focusing the light energy in a series of flashes to disorient them. [3+1-2] The distance and the moving targets take a toll on the mage's abilities. The flashes are released, but they gleam and crackle on the western side of the forest, away from both the bandits and, thankfully, his allies. Ilyria looks at the sun and decides it is time to leave. "It was an honor to meet you, madam, and I hope we can be together again soon." The last part being directed towards Dellus. She waves both Adrienne and Dellus goodbye and pulls the reins, causing her horse to turn backwards and gallop to the town.

Diego is angered when his arrow fails to hit anyone and urges his horse forward and almost into the trees as he readies himself for a small show. [6+1] He uses his arms to lift all of his weight, standing on his hands on top of the saddle and bending his body until the tips of his feet touch the extreme front of the saddle's leather protection. He pushes the surface and stands majestically with both feet on top of a very small metal decoration near the horse's neck, shifting his weight and facing the quarters of the horse, proceeding to adjust his bow and aiming with his back towards the last of the two runners while ignoring the swaying motion of the horse's movement. [5] The long arrow acquires a powerful force energy coating which gleams with visible strength as it causes odd reflections and small shockwaves around the metal tip. [6+1-2]v[3] Diego lets go of the string and launches the arrow as an almost indiscernible blur assisted by the force magic, causing a loud noise as it tears its way to the nearest fleeing bandit, hitting with traumatic force. (5,6+2-1) Traumatic force is a misnomer: the scene seems to play in slow motion as the shockwave of force magic throws any bandit still standing to the ground and finds purchase on the man's back, drilling its way through leather and metal like they were butter, allowing the arrow inside and leaving a depression the size of a golfball and an entrance orifice on the back of the archer's breastplate. A darker scene unfolds in front of the man, as the force magic finally explodes outwards and leaves a hole the size of a basketball on the man's right pectoral area, sending various pieces of lungs, assorted innards and shattered bones meters away from the origin. The nearby trees and the ground are painted red as the man is flung forward and lands on his face, a terrified look on his face. He died almost instantly, but the pain was excruciating nonetheless.

Davie dismounts his horse and runs to find a nearby water source to put off the fire on his arms. [6] His nervousness manages to weaken the magic energy around the fire and makes it more responsive to external changes (a.k.a. now water can put it off) and consequently susceptible to being extinguished inside the puddle of water Davie finds and dips his arms in. The fire mage's arms are totally perfect, but the sudden cooling got them temporarily unresponsive to fire magic (acc -1 for one turn).

Thelfin calmly adjusts his sight, holds his breath and pulls the trigger. [3]v[1-1] The longbowmen who are still able to get back up are in a very disadvantageous position and the large bolt makes a short trip thanks to the violent power of the knight's Heavy Crossbow. (1,6-1) The sharp piece of metal pierces the right flank of the only criminal that was still unharmed, destroying the armor in its wake and stopping after getting stuck on the other side of the man's torso protection. Blood flows freely from under the armor and soaks his clothes. [4] The man drops to the ground once more and screams in pain while clutching the side of his body.

April hears a deafening sound and what seems a bolt of destruction passes by her, knocking branches and making leaves swirl around, shortly followed by what looks like a small lance being flung with enormous speed. She keeps running to find one one unsconscious man with fire spreading all over his body and coming from what used to be his left arm. A little ahead, a man is laying face-down, blood and pieces of flesh strewn everywhere while another screeches in pain with what seems the aforementioned small lance stuck in his body. The remaining archer is absolutely terrified and cries like a small boy while starting a mad dash for his life, asking for mercy during the sprint: "<P-PLEASE LEAVE ME BE, I SWEAR I'LL DO ANYTHING!!>"
Candy tries to grab April's chainmail once more. [1] She fails miserably, hitting her muzzle against a nearby root, and is left far behind by her owner.

Ktimbi and Falion, mounted on Airgead, decide to be silent and sneak into the enemy camp. [5+1] No living soul sees or hears them moving stealthily towards the center of the woods. They do, however, hear the sound of what seems a thunder close by.

Enemies encountered - Close and running
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Distance - Close/Running:
Melee: Main group - One turn.
Ranged: Main group - Same turn, impaired by trees (-1 acc).

>Oh wow. Those rolls. Special note for SeriousConcentrate/Diego, who rolled the largest cluster of natural fives and sixes I have ever seen.

The Players:

Dwarmin: Knight
Tiruin: Knight
Powder Miner: Knight
Praefectum Screptum: Knight

NUKE9.13: Wizard - Temporarily out
agentorangesoda: Wizard
Tarran: Wizard
SeriousConcentrate: Wizard
Grunhill: Wizard
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:57:32 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 18 - Armor-piercing Hollowpoint
« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2012, 12:55:06 am »

"Whew."

Get back on my horse and go survey the damage, staying away from the burning trees. Grab a shield off one of the dudes.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 11, 2012, 01:01:24 am »

Judging that the remaining runner was no longer a threat, April turns back and grabs Candy before asking her teammates WHAT WAS THAT?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 11, 2012, 01:08:18 am »

"¡SÍ! Esa es la forma de hacer magia, señores y señoras! Yo soy el mejor que existe!" Diego cheered, dropping back into a riding position and putting his weapon away. "Ricardo, I thank you. You are ever my muse, hermano." He urged Aquila into a swift trot toward the bandits to observe the effect of his spells... and also checked behind him to see if Adrienne looked impressed. On the way up, he ran into April, who was wide-eyed and curious. ""Mi señora, that was a spell of mine. Very powerful, no?" He chuckled to himself. "We of the Alvarez line, we are skilled. At everything." He waggled his eyebrows at her.

Diego idly hits on April (not expecting an actual roll for that since it's up to Powder and there's a 99.9% chance he'll shut me down) and continues to advance to the bandit camp. He also uses an illusion spell to cloak himself, Ricardo, and anyone else who wants it in the guise of the bandits that were just killed.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 11, 2012, 06:38:34 am »

((Diego is naturally lucky. Like his card-game.

Also, Candy! No!))

Begin Phase One of the plan, contacting our other allies. For Falion: the bandits. Tell them of our attack plan. We shall not harm them if they evacuate into our position.

"Ktimbi, Airgead will watch over both of us. He can go with you if you wish. I do not want to see you harmed while we are this deep in outlaw territory."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:15:35 pm by Tiruin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2012, 07:07:57 am »

Adrienne rode up alongside Diego.

"Ah, mon magnifique Diego, as powerful as a cannonball...and just about as subtle." She said, nodding her head and smiling.

She took a grim look at the damage.

"...That was interesting-you almost blew him into a quartet. A bit of an overkill, if there is such a thing. I approve!

Also, I'm still angry for you snubbing me last night, Diego. You still owe me the dance when we get back to town-and a bit more besides."

Action: Advance toward the camp with the rest of the party.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2012, 07:12:57 am »

"Mi señora, it is not my fault if, as I hear, you decided to go around picking fights instead of coming to the inn to join the festivities," Diego said, turning it around on Adrienne. "But I will gladly give you a dance - and a bit more, if you wish. Perhaps a lot more, yes?" He laughed to himself. Subtlety was indeed not the mage's strong suit, as his most recent spell suggested... even though he knew and used illusion magic. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 11, 2012, 07:25:09 am »

Action: Accept Diego's illusion spell and advance towards the camp with the rest of the party
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2012, 07:27:55 am »

Adrienne made a tsk tsk noise.

"But that was part of our dance as well.

I know your game-the cunning man rebuffs the forward woman, so they are both more hungry for companionship when the time comes. The woman plays the part of the wounded maiden, feigning umbrage.

The next phase, the Woman accepts his token gratitude, and can choose to play court, or fold her hand and cleave to him...gratification, if delayed, increases the pressure on both parties, proportionally increasing the pleasure achieved...

Romance. Tis' the sweetest science, no?"
She finished, smiling quixotically.

@SC: Well, I don't think any of your illusion spells have actually worked yet. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2012, 07:36:58 am »

(True. There's a reason it's his 'I also know' instead of his main school of magic. ^^^)

"If you say so, mi señora." Diego shrugged, slightly perplexed by her reasoning. He didn't think it was THAT complicated. On the other hand he acted like one of the shallowest men alive, so it probably wasn't unexpected that it would go completely over his head.

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2012, 06:02:36 pm »

Ktimbi takes his battle brother's wolf and searches for a weapons stockpile to disable the bandits

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:18 pm »

Keep moving crouched to look for a new position to snipe.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:47 pm »

((Taking some (ok, a lot) more time because I'm sick. It did not hamper my RtD posts, but my mind is a mess at the moment. Trying to run the turn now.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 13, 2012, 12:07:50 am »

Arcane Steel - Turn 19 - Strike while the Iron... Part One

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The group aggressively closes into the enemy territory. The clatter of weapons, shield and armor is heard around the marauders' tents. The time of the showdown between the sheer numbers and mass-produced equipment of the criminals against the crushing blows of the superior weapons and powers of the nobles approaches...And the young squad may still have to deal with unforeseen enemies.

April checks the nearby enemies, or what is left of them, and judges the last runner is no longer a threat.  She picks Candy up on her way back to the rest of the group and asks what has just happened, meeting most of the group on the way, but Diego before all the rest.
-
Diego moves back to a riding position, putting his longbow away while commemorating his sublime show. Realmente muy hermoso. The spaniard moves into the forest, dismounts (horses are basically impossible to maneuver inside the woods) and idly hits on April after explaining most part of the noise and destruction was his doing (no roll for you, she is not a NPC :D), is promptly ignored and flirts with Adrienne. After assessing the damage, (bits of organs everywhere, one of the bandits is still alive and whining where the byzantine's knight bolt hit him) he proceeds to offer the assistance of an illusion spell to anyone willing to be a test subject. Diego has spent a reasonable amount of his magical and physical energy on the last move.
-
Adrienne follows Diego into the woods while talking and flirting with the young spanish wizard. Her silence is taken as consent due to her previous acceptance and she'll be part of Diego's renewed attempt at illusion magic.
-
Dellus follows the squad into the narrow dirt trail and accepts Diego's generous offer, hauling his enormous grimoire and newly-acquired weapons to follow after the group.
-
Davie goes back to riding his horse for a short distance before once more having to jump off the animal to enter the cramped passage under the canopy of the trees. He carefully avoids the burning ones and grabs a Round Shield of one of the dead bandits. Examining the situation, he sees that one of them is dead with most of his torax destroyed by Diego's arrow. Another is burning while unconscious (his doing) and the last is crying while clinging to the wound caused by a large crossbow bolt which could more aptly be described as a steel pike designed for midgets. Davie gauges the amount of magical energy remaining on him now that he has time to do so and concludes a reasonable amount of energy was spent on his last attack.
-
Thelfin keeps creeping ahead of the formation, advancing in a crouched stance and prepared to take a firing position as soon as it was necessary. [5] Even among the miriad of trees, he is able to divise voices in the distance and locate a small hill which will serve his purpose perfectly. The knight pulls the string of his crossbow and loads another elephant-killing steel bolt into his weapon while moving forward.

Diego nods to himself in confidence and concentrates. He can feel the raw energy flowing through his body and he remembers the feeling of using illusion on one target...He tries to expand the range of the cloaking magic and... [6] It is an astounding success. It is very difficult to see even the outlines of his body; it is as if he was really invisible as the magic slightly bends light, but mostly acts directly on the minds of all those who watch the affected from a certain distance. Adrienne and Dellus also are under the same spell, with the same results.
As the spaniard tries to walk away, he discovers the trick may have been too well executed. It is difficult even for the cloaked ones to identify the position of their bodies, and they spend some time making noise while bumping into each other and tripping over exposed roots until (kinda) getting the hang of it (Stealth rolls: +3; Dexterity rolls: -1).

The group members who decided to get it moving sneak as one (not really) through the woods, paying attention to each and every suspicious movement as they traverse the thick folliage to find the bandits' camp.

[1+3] [1-1] Adrienne, Diego and Dellus cause a reasonable amount of noise as they crash their way through the trail. Every rock, thick root or thing that may cause pain seems to be homing on their most unprotected parts, hitting their face, feet, butt, etc. Adrienne is the least affected thanks to her armor, but Mother Nature still conspires against the female knight and she still gets hit on places the plate armor was not devised to protect, meaning she may need some ointment. Thankfully, Diego's magic prevented them from being seen from the occasional curious pair of eyes and dirty faces who peeked from a safe distance. They are now right by the enemy camp, but their body is hurting really badly, which may temporarily take their focus.

[5-1] Thelfin moves like a heavily armored ninja once again and manages to take position on the hill he saw beforehand. The place grants him a good vision of the nearby trails used by the bandits and he can also see their tents from here. The midget-pike launcher is ready as he crouches and takes aim for some sniping action.
He notices they seem to be forming ranks for an organized circle-formation defense, with melee fighters on the outward circle and ranged positioned inside the protective ring.

Enemies visible so far (Only by Thelfin) - Very Close
Spoiler: Longswordmen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Longbowmen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arquebusmen (click to show/hide)

Ktimbi is followed by Airgead due to Falion's order while the dragoon searches for his bandit allies.

[1+1] Ktimbi  not only fails to find a weapons stockpile, he is also seen by a nearby longbowman, [4] who is flung against a tree by the giant wolf as the beast dashes towards him before he has the time to even notch an arrow. The bandit faints. [4] Airgead sniffs the air and moves towards a weapons stockpile nearby. The african notices it has two large arquebuses.

[5] Fallion searches for his ruffian friends and finds all of them quietly huddled together waiting for him not too far from the camp. It seems they heard the noise and knew it could be him.
[1] They tell the dragoon reinforcements came while he was away and probably many more are coming this way. Many.

>April status now shows her amount of flintlock pistols and how many of them are loaded. She should stick to her guns :P
>I can do the same for the other people who use flintlock pistols and consequently have to carry belts of them to shoot in rapid succession.
>Reasonable amount of energy usually means "You can do it two, three or four more of this move in same day before fainting." Magical energy can be obtained from resting and external sources, which include the knights who have unused magical energy flowing inside them. Extraction of energy using this method is tricky, though.
>Yeah, I keep changing the post's layout while searching for something better.

The Players:

Dwarmin: Knight
Tiruin: Knight
Powder Miner: Knight
Praefectum Screptum: Knight

NUKE9.13: Wizard - Temporarily out
agentorangesoda: Wizard
Tarran: Wizard
SeriousConcentrate: Wizard
Grunhill: Wizard
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:09:35 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

April sneaks through the woods following the others, attempting to go with her short sword if spotted by a single person or two people, ripping out six of her guns and firing them at once if spotted by a large group.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46