Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46

Author Topic: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 27 - It is not over until it is over  (Read 73358 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 7 - Setting Sun
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2012, 05:09:13 am »

"No offense, but I don't trust you enough to get under an illusion spell by you. I'll need to see your work a little more before I'm willing to give you a shot. Mistakes when using magic on yourself... don't turn out well from what I have seen."
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2012, 05:13:34 am »

"Really, Davie-this coming from you, a Pyromancer? My studies say illusion is probably the safest of schools to use on another person. At worst, he makes you glow bright orange and everyone sees you for miles, right?"

Adrienne turned to Diego.

"So, Illusion...try one on me, wizardling.

I suppose you can make my armor the color of grass, trees, shadow and dirt, hmm?

If I'm going to be a rat, I may as well look the part."
She said offhandedly.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2012, 08:07:41 am »

In a gesture of thanks, Ktimbi crushes the looted eyes inside of his fist and rubs the blood and aqueous humor across Falion's forehead.  The eyes are the window to the soul. Unlocking the power of the human eye is a simple process; one eye is no different than placing a blind over the window. Two eyes are akin to leaving the window open, but cleverly decorating the room inside.  This would affect all those who had been connected to the dead man's soul. Falion would now resemble the recently deceased in the eyes of all those who had been connected to him in life, so long as both eyes remained on his body; If only one was removed, he would appear as little more than a blur to the bandit's kin.

"Go with them," a gravelly voice muttered, almost whispered, as a bony finger pointed toward the captives. This was the easiest way for him to realize what gift had been given him.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:18 am »

"Yeah, an illusion would help. I'll take the illusion." April would follow the others to sneak in.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:00 am »

Falion looked at the hand as it painted his forehead. Deep inside, he felt like something bigger than him was acting and he silently thanked his brother for his act.

"Sneaking in it is then."

Head the sneaking attack! In accordance with my last action, if possible.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2012, 10:12:23 am »

"If it's the decision, I'll help as best I can. But I will strike only if things go badly, you know, the magic light does not help much in a sneak attack at NIGHT" said Dellus
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

"I accept the idea of using surprise to our advantage, but I do not want to have a spell cast upon me."
Thelfin said before pulling his warhorse by the reins.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »

"Really, Davie-this coming from you, a Pyromancer? My studies say illusion is probably the safest of schools to use on another person. At worst, he makes you glow bright orange and everyone sees you for miles, right?"
"Most of the time, that's the worst. Sometimes though, if someone really botches it, you might get blasted by raw magic or something to that extent. Raw magic tends not to be even nearly as kind as a little glowing."
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2012, 10:36:45 pm »

Arcane Steel - Turn 8 - Night Snakes

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sun finally laid to rest as the squad picked the safest way to deal with the nearest bandit camp. A stealth attack, making use of the criminals' schedule. Even though most of the members of the group had no experience in sneaking, Diego offered to cast an illusion spell upon those willing to accept his help. Some were confident in his skills, others were reticent. All that was certain was the fact that failure could result in unnecessary bloodshed and even the possibility of losing the hoodlum's track if these managed to escape. There was no room for errors, and time was of essence.

Falion proposes a plan of action based on using the prisoners as a distraction and attacking the enemy camp with the element of surprise on the group's side and afterwards, he (finally) cleans Ktimbi's feet, to which the african shaman responds by using his knowledge to imbue the dragoon's exterior with a different appearance, intending to allow the knight to follow alongside the captives. [3+1] The magic works beautifully, and even if not perfect, the disguise was excellent for the present purpose (+2 to stealth), allowing him to be almost unrecognizable. Davie decides to go with the stealth idea, but does not accept having Diego cast an illusion spell on him, nor does Thelfin. Both Adrienne and April are willing to undergo Diego's illusion process, and Dellus is considered a volunteer for not saying anything on the matter, and so it is. Diego focus his mind on bending the light around him and his allies in such a way as to twist their visible shapes and make them nigh-invisible, [2+1] but the raw magical energy used to warp the lighting wavers and flickers, indicating failures in the camouflage maintenance and resulting in only Davie being affected by the incomplete spell (+2 stealth), probably due to lack of training on casting said type of magic on multiple targets. Candy purrs as she is caressed. The horses are a different matter no one seems to have a plan about. Because of the lack of a better strategy, they follow Thelfin's example and pull their horses by the reins instead of riding them, probably hoping the grass and the trees by the side of the road will muffle most sounds. Ileid follows behind the rest of them.

And so their short travel begins as they move under the half-full glare of the white, clear moon. Large clouds slowly drift across the sky, temporarily obscuring the Earth beneath as they occasionally block the moonlight. The party makes the most of such moments, moving across shortcuts indicated by the bandits, whose only uncoscious member woke up, Falion being the only one walking with them, disguised by Ktimbi's ancient magic.

The moment comes when the second shift patrol appears in the distance, coming closer until they look directly towards the prisoners. [4+2] Falion is mistaken for one of them, [2] but they take notice of the lack of some of the men from the last shift. [3] The explanations of the captives that the other members were asleep and they did not want to disturb the lazy slackers are not very convincing, and the sentinels ask for the specifics. [5] "<They got very, very drunk on some of that beer we took and we could not wake them up even after some kicking.>" The new guards accept the excuse and start a brief conversation.

A little far from the road, [3+1] Ktimbi sneaks past with his inherent ability of being quiet, and even quieter when he wants to be. The guards do not hear any sound from him; [6] Davie smoothly follows but he accidentally steps on a ≡stick≡, snapping it in half. [6] The guards do not hear it, but Maximilian steps on a ☼stick☼ right after the last one, making some noise, but without breaking it. [4] The maurauders stay oblivious to it. For some reason, Davie has a dark-colored bandana tied around his head; [5-1] Thelfin packs a pleasant surprise as he moves with enough skill (or luck) to avoid frictioning his armor's plates and compensating the soft whirring sound of his kinetic armor; [1] Adrienne proceeds to make enough noise to get a drunk elephant to feel ashamed of his incompetence in causing ruckus. The guards are alerted, but [5] one of the captives diverts their attention; [2-1] April also shows similar natural skills by making roughly the same amount of noise as Adrienne, while Candy is glued to her owner's chainmail. [6] The guards are once again fooled by one of the captives, who pretends it was him who caused the loud noises by throwing rocks at the trees, but the men get wary (-1 to further rolls); [3+2-1] Diego sneaks past the bunch without much problems and without making any loud sounds; [3-1] It falls to Dellus the honor of screwing any further chances of stealth as one of the guards finally decides to take a look at what is causing all that noise "<Well, there are a lot of wild wolves around here.>" he says before unsheathing his sword and walking carefully towards the trees, shield raised.

The guard moves closer. The squad has to pick their approach; starting a fight with the next patrol so close to their camp will probably get the other maurauders alerted (If they escape, you will probably have to fight a larger force in the future=not good). Silent takedowns or quiet kills would not alarm the camp, but there is a third option. Cunning may be employed and any use of force whatsoever may be avoided.

Enemies encountered:
Spoiler: Bandits: (click to show/hide)

>Ktimbi's feet are now clean! ...Also, hard luck. I thought the ones to screw you over would be Thelfin and April (she rolled for the -2 and avoided it, though) plus someone else, but I was only two thirds right. Your prisoners were helpful, but even they have their limits. I was kind of cheering for your success, because now my next post will probably have to be a short one, just to get you from this spot to the camp, which could be done in this turn had you succeeded...Yey...Also, the more turns you take to deal with the enemies, the more likely for their companions to hear the struggle.
By now you also have realized the enemies' chart is less complete. That is because you have to check their combat stance, attacks and such to get more detailed info.

The Players:

Dwarmin: Knight
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiruin: Knight

Powder Miner: Knight

Praefectum Screptum: Knight

NUKE9.13: Wizard - Temporarily out

agentorangesoda: Wizard

Tarran: Wizard

SeriousConcentrate: Wizard

Grunhill: Wizard
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:19:00 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Covenant of Arcane Steel - Turn 8 - Night Snakes - Waitlist Empty!
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »

Waitlist me please :)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »

Oh wow, that turn. The mental image.

We all fail so hard no matter how hard we try.

"Oh snap, what should we do?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »

Diego, without even waiting for a consensus, notched an arrow and loosed it at the bandit. As it flew, he used a force spell to propel it to almost unheard of speeds and with extra kinetic energy in it.

(I'm hoping this will work out like the throwing spears in Fallout and not only rip his head off, but carry it with the arrow until it hits something. :D)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:48 am »

((*Snap* . . .*Snap!*

"What was that?"

"It was...me! I tripped!"

"While walking on flat ground?"

"...yes."

and they were silenced.))

Falion, in his disguise, walked up to the man with the unsheathed blade.

Persuade him to return to camp. Wolves travel in packs and we are too outnumbered to face them.

Tl,dr: Divert attention so the everyone else can get through.

OR Divert attention so that...the bandits can die.

DEFEND THE SUBJUGATED ALLIES.

He tried remembering how some of the local serfs spoke when partly drunk, having been their guardian for some time. He decided against speaking like a loose tongued lout. "You know, wolves travel in much numbers I've heard. I remember my old days, back in the farmlands, even with spears and bows we couldn't fend off a pack of ravenous wolves. Also, it is night. I don't think we'll have much chance alone if you go looking for em. Let's just stick together until we reach the safety of camp, eh?"

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:26 am »

Character made!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:52:40 pm by borno »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:01 am »

Adrienne nodded, watching Diego nock an arrow. Stealth attacks would rule the day, mayhaps, and she was fine allowing him to do it. She stood aside, waiting to see how things played out...

Action: Stand guard over Diego-keep a look out for more enemies.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46