Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206477 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks
« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »

If worlds in DF actually are a painting of mineable earth applied to the surface of a flat slade slab of variable size, the slade only needs to be 117 km thick to provide earth standard gravity, due to the high slade density. Compare this to the earth's radius of 6378 km (diameter 12756 km).

The world can't be a round ball of solid slade because the radius would be about 175 km (smaller than the moon), and the curvature would be noticeable. It would have to be a hollow shell instead. An earth-sized planet would have a slade shell thickness of 58 km. This is comparable to the thickness of the earth's crust, except that it would have nothing underneath it.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »

and i'd guess that slade does have nothing underneath it, in the game. I will accept your theory, but only if the slade disc rests on the back of four elephants standing on a turtle flying through space.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:12 pm »

and i'd guess that slade does have nothing underneath it, in the game. I will accept your theory, but only if the slade disc rests on the back of four elephants standing on a turtle flying through space.
Fool, clearly it is Armok holding it in his hand, spinning it like a frisbee
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2012, 07:56:11 pm »

So if it is a hollow sphere, what would happen when you jump down one of those eerie pits? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »

Well...I'd imagine that, without anything else, you'd fly as far as your momentum allowed, given the gravitational attraction of the shell, and then land on the inside of the slade shell. And then you'd get murderized by off-duty demons before you could jump to the other side.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »

So if it is a hollow sphere, what would happen when you jump down one of those eerie pits?

Let's say that there has to be air down there, so it isn't a vacuum. That would actually increase the mass of the world and therefore the gravity (by a small amount), but let's neglect that for now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law_for_gravity#Spherically_symmetric_mass_distribution
A hollow world has no gravity inside, so you would probably be slowed down by air friction and just float there forever rather than reaching the far side. Over time, a cloud or ball of junk would form down there, held together by weak gravity or electrostatic forces.

Of course, it could be different if magic becomes involved.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:11 pm »

Huh, that's not what I would have thought would happen. Apparently it does. Point is, you'd never escape.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2012, 09:28:36 pm »

I'd like a theoretical.
What if there was a force of magical Anti gravity at the very core?
Like, it pushes things away, not pulls them close?
If it was strong enough to balance out the gravity of the air, and even more so to make things stick to the inside of the shell, would it have any other effects?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 01, 2012, 09:32:41 pm »

Slade, collapses? well, that doesn't actually surprise.

So, if Clowns created slade, why would they make it so that they can be killed by their own stuff?

I dont think anyone making the worlds thought to prevent slade from being able to kill demons, as there should not be a circumstance where that question should arise. We have proven their folly.. We haved weaponized the actual foundations of hell . This is a great day for
!!SCIENCE!!

Bay12. Fear the weaponization.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »

I'd like a theoretical.
What if there was a force of magical Anti gravity at the very core?
Like, it pushes things away, not pulls them close?
If it was strong enough to balance out the gravity of the air, and even more so to make things stick to the inside of the shell, would it have any other effects?
I'm no physicist. heck, I'm a sleep deprived teenager listening to surprisingly upbeat but sad songs. not sure what that last bit has to do with anything. however;
1) I'm not sure, from either a practical or narrative standpoint, why that would be there. but, since for the sake of argument it is;
2) judging from the people above me, it would push objects inside to the very edge, but only gradually. If the force was strong enough for there to be normal gravity inside the sphere, it wouldn't bode well for things on the outer surface, or even the structural stability of the sphere itself, but that all depends on the relative strength of the field.
3)well, I can't go any farther with my limited knowledge of physics, and for that matter, the nature of the force itself. If you gave the strengh of the field relative to the mass of the sphere, i'm sure someone could crunch some numbers and see exactly what would happen.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:58 pm »

My prediction is simultaneous [REDACTED] followed by collapse of universal constants such as 1+1=2 leading to a XK class [REDACTED] [EXPUNGED]. Then the cats will start arming themselves and march on the [REDACTED]. [/SCP references]
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »

My prediction is simultaneous [REDACTED] followed by collapse of universal constants such as 1+1=2 leading to a XK class [REDACTED] [EXPUNGED]. Then the cats will start arming themselves and march on the [REDACTED]. [/SCP references]
I dont know why the last redacted was there. Clearly either the Bay12 mountains home for revenge.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »

... I always liked to think that slade is actually what dwarf beards are made of. 
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »

You must be an O3 to know that.

And I like to think that Dwarven beards are sentient, living organisms who are symbiotes with the Dwarves. The beards have exceptional sensory apparatus, which is how a dwarf never gets lost in the labrynthian tunnels of a fortress.
He's fucking with us.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2012, 02:24:25 am »

Hmm.

On Adamant -

Come to think of it, suppose the non wafer ore state is basically disordered adamantine molecules that forms a fractal pattern turning into crystals.

Dwarves use - god knows what - to order the crystals. Sort of like using a magnet to magnetize hard iron.

This causes the adamantine to break up into strands. which can be disordered back into wafers.

Perhaps adamantine also acts sort of like graphite, which iirc basically forms large sheets which are linked to each other (my grade school geo is really bad).

So this way you can get away from having to use extreme heat to turn the metal into different states.

Also with regards to weighted weapons - With adamantine,  you really just need the leading edge to be capped by a perfectly rigid monoatomic strip of addy. So you could ideally have a baton with little wedges of addy attached to it at regular intervals. If you spin it - it shreds whatever it touches. If  you swing it, it will crush straight through.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36