Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206478 times)

LeonL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2012, 08:20:59 pm »

As the posted above you pointed out: watered steel (Damascus steel) has shown the formation of nanotubes. Nanotubes do NOT need to be formed with carbon. As the Wikipedia article on inorganic nanotubes shows, they've even been found naturally occurring. (I also linked the disambiguation page because I figured it'd be easier as three of the four articles potentially relate.) Also, it's the only thing that explains the fibrous nature of adamtine strands that I can think of (short of just saying "magic" and invoking mythology, which is easily done and isn't science).

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »

As the posted above you pointed out: watered steel (Damascus steel) has shown the formation of nanotubes. Nanotubes do NOT need to be formed with carbon. As the Wikipedia article on inorganic nanotubes shows, they've even been found naturally occurring. (I also linked the disambiguation page because I figured it'd be easier as three of the four articles potentially relate.) Also, it's the only thing that explains the fibrous nature of adamtine strands that I can think of (short of just saying "magic" and invoking mythology, which is easily done and isn't science).

Or it could naturally form very thin threads in metal.

If it formed nanotubes, you wouldn't be able to extract it let alone use it, or forge it. Nanotubes simple don't make adamantine make sense.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2012, 04:30:37 pm »

could candy (I use "candy" as an abbreviation of adamantine, not to censor it) possibly crystalize in a way that forms microscopic chains? (as discussed earlier, a little) but only in certain conditions, which is why weapons and plate armor don't asplode in a mess of strands.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2012, 04:55:47 pm »

could candy (I use "candy" as an abbreviation of adamantine, not to censor it) possibly crystalize in a way that forms microscopic chains? (as discussed earlier, a little) but only in certain conditions, which is why weapons and plate armor don't asplode in a mess of strands.
As in only in conditions of high pressure and acidity, such as dwarven facesmelting?

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2012, 10:31:13 pm »

To be technical, all natural (solid) matter tends to form via crystallisation. If we're assuming that Adam is natural matter, then the only explanations would be artificial creation or the chain crystallisation you suggest. Adamantine is almost certainly not natural matter, though. For all we know, it could coagulate onto rocks as snot from hyperdimensional teddy bears.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 28, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »

Maxmurder gestures!

The thread shudders and begins to move!

Here is a thought experement (or an actual experiment if you wanted to do the !!SCIENCE!!)

Two masterwork adamantine mincarts are are placed on opposite ends of a mincart track with 100z downward slopes between them. Both carts are filled to capacity with slade blocks. The carts are pushed (or ridden for extra !!FUN!!) down the slopes towards eachother. What happens when they meet?
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »

Maxmurder gestures!

The thread shudders and begins to move!

Here is a thought experement (or an actual experiment if you wanted to do the !!SCIENCE!!)

Two masterwork adamantine mincarts are are placed on opposite ends of a mincart track with 100z downward slopes between them. Both carts are filled to capacity with slade blocks. The carts are pushed (or ridden for extra !!FUN!!) down the slopes towards eachother. What happens when they meet?
Nuclear fusion.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »

Ooh, epic necro.

I'd guess that both minecarts would shatter.  Adamantine isn't indestructible, and it's very brittle.  Without knowing the crystal structure, we can't say how it will break with any certainty, but it's probably safe to assume there would be sharp edges.  These shards of adamantine would embed themselves in anything nearby, and anyone standing nearby would be ripped to shreds.  In short, it would be a ludicrously expensive, yet effective, shrapnel bomb.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »

That would be epic. Must try.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 28, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »

While reading and marveling at this resurrected thread, I came upon a thought, and then, another one. This is a rare occurence and I'd like to share.
1:

but earnestly trying to fit any of those into real physics would drive most people insane.
[/quote]   

That's very much the point, though. Insanity is like a fine wine, in that its fermentation will lead to great happiness in the form of addled brains.
[/quote]
I reccomend we take all of the more likely theories( i.e. ones that use actual science, even if wildly theoretical and/or insane) and compose them into a single document containg the current and best theories of adamantine, send to a scientific journal for publication, and hopefully get a response and/or drive several scientists stark raving mad.
Or the nobel prize for !!SCIENCE!!. DS, Sphalerite, Girlinhat..Aussie. We will let you know when we accept you as part of our all knowing overlords. ALL HAIL THE !!SCIENTISTS!!
We do need a award for !!SCIENCE!!, Seriously, and
The nobel prize stays in sweden. The McUrist is awarded for ultimate dwarfdom.
The Urist is a great name. Seriously, someone make this.I wont even claim credit. Categories could be, uh, i dont know. At least three given out yearly. I demand this be a thing. Someone make a thread.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:55 am »

I just attempted to smash two Slade filled Adamantine carts.

The result?

the game crashed before they touched.

And... I'm going to have to do it all over again.

Sigh.
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:53 am »

The RNG has warned you once already. But !!SCIENCE!! MUST BE DONE!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:25 am »

It thinks it has defeated you but you're doing SCIENCE and you're still alive!

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 29, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »

The result?

:o

My theory: The collision would have released enough energy that even the potential for it to happen would destroy the universe, causing the crash. Kind of like the odd artifact that is so baddass or wacky that it literally cannot exist and will crash the game if you come within 100 tiles of it...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »

The result?

:o

My theory: The collision would have released enough energy that even the potential for it to happen would destroy the universe, causing the crash. Kind of like the odd artifact that is so baddass or wacky that it literally cannot exist and will crash the game if you come within 100 tiles of it...
I have a similar theory. Allowing it to happen would cause a paradox, so to resolve it, the game shut down. Taunt not powers of which ye little understand, mortal.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36