Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206485 times)

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2012, 01:07:19 pm »

I've pictured adamantine as a kind of cross between hydrogen and carbon nanotubes, with a bit of obsidian thrown in for good measure.

Stronger than all hell, sharp enough to quite easily dismember anything not armoured, and incredibly light.

Assuming the dwarves made a regular battle axe shaped battle axe out of adamantine, it could still do quite a bit of damage. The blades of battle axes are not very thick, and something that is both substantially harder than steel and capable of holding an edge down to an atomic level will not even be slowed when the edge hit the armour. So, while the armour will need to be deformed by an inch or so to completely cleave someone in two, even if the dwarf didn't have the strength to bend the armour the enemy would still have a rather nasty cut in their body. Another strike or two in the same area (where the armour is weakened) and it would be easy to cut someone in half.

Now, if they made their adamantine axes as the incredibly thin discs discussed earlier... might as well be using a laser.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2012, 01:44:43 pm »

So what happens when an atomic edged adamantine axe strikes an adamantine shield? Does it bounce off, or slice through?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »

Am I reading this right? The thread has gone back to the original topic?

What is this..?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »

Am I reading this right? The thread has gone back to the original topic?

What is this..?

The thread was derailed so much that it got re-railed.

What have we done?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

The circle of life.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »

So what happens when an atomic edged adamantine axe strikes an adamantine shield? Does it bounce off, or slice through?

hmm....

With my somewhat rusty understanding of physics, I *think* it would cut through. Probably not as easily as the axe would cut through a steel shield, but it should make some dents.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2012, 02:52:43 pm »

hmm....

With my somewhat rusty understanding of physics, I *think* it would cut through. Probably not as easily as the axe would cut through a steel shield, but it should make some dents.

It wouldn't dent, because adamantine has no give whatsoever (when it breaks, it shatters).  I'm not actually sure what would happen, though.  I don't think it would bounce (at least, it wouldn't bounce much), because that implies there's some elasticity, which adamantine doesn't have.  It might cut through, if the conditions were just right, but I think the most likely outcome would be the axe simply being deflected and skating off.  Alternatively, one or both of them could break, but that would require a great deal of force.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »

In a nonyielding material like adamantine, the fracture point will occur instead of cutting.

This means that one of 4 things will happen.

1) the axe doesn't have enough kinetic energy to fracture either itself or the shield. The blow bounces off harmlessly.

2) the axe has sufficient kinetic energy to reach adamantine's fracture point. The axe is thinner on the blade than the shield is thick. Stress yield in the blade edge exceeds the fracture point, and it ceushes and spalls like glass struck with a hammer. (More correct, a glass axe hitting a granite boulder.) Chips of the axeblade will flake off at the best, or the blade will shatter spectacularly (see, gimli's axe when swung at the one ring scene from the peter jackson movie.)

3) the axeblade is very thick, with a low beveled angle. (Perhaps 89deg on each side) the edge is still finely honed, but is made thick this way to distribute the fracture load. It strikes a shield of lesser thickness.  The adamantine shield splits in half from the focused fracture force, and large flakes pop off at the impact site.  The finely focused edge of the blade crushes into powder, but doesn't shatter the whole axeblade because of the increased thickness.

4) the blade and the shield are equal matches, and both chip and spall from the impacts.

(Exotic option, reserved for highly exotic matter)

5) the axe blade fuses to the shield like a weld.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2012, 04:27:30 pm »

Given the low maximum kinetic energy of the axe, and the high strength of adamantine, I'd say you'd get case 1 most of the time.

Also, I doubt the last one is possible given that if the energy is great enough to melt adamantine, the momentum is probably great enough to shatter it.

Also...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:39:36 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:03 pm »

He said "like" a weld.  There's the option that the adamantine axe will slice partway through the adamantine shield, but because of the freakish properties it won't actually slice much of it.

Imagine if you invented a teleporter, and jumped into solid stone.  It sort of, occupies the same space...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:49 pm »

That's an interesting angle, but not what I was going for.

I was approaching from the "room temperature" bose-einstein condensate held together by "OMGWTFKITTENS!" (The physics of this phase of matter only happen a few kelvin above absolute zero. Higher temperatures make the phase unstable.)

A bose-einstein condensate could be imagined as a "superparticle".  The constituent particles inside an atom become so resonant that they literally collapse into a unified quata.

If adamantine is such a substance, then hitting it with more of the same substance with sufficient energy would result in the two quanta merging.

(There *is* an experimentally observed limit as to how many atoms can fuse into a condensate before the energy density results in a micro big-bang like explosion however.)

Further reading:

Bose-einstein condensate

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »

Actual weapons testing will show you that adamantine battle axes bounce off adamantine armor.

Engineers, ruining lovely theoretical physics since forever!
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »

Given the high temperatures of the BEC, it would take "a jolly good slam" to get the fusion effect.

This might explain how they turn "adamantine wafers" into "adamantine platemail".

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 20, 2012, 10:13:57 am »

ever swang a baseball bat at something hard.  Remember how hard that thing vibrated, wouldn't it vibrate atleast?  or does that too imply give and elasticity and not happen.  If it wouldn't vibrate, could you find it's resonant frequency and vibrate it apart if you took some really big speakers and such?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:36 am »

I'm going to post this. A combination from what I got from my Freshman Geo 101 course, and DF.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36