Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206454 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks
« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:29 am »

Hmm.

On Adamant -

Come to think of it, suppose the non wafer ore state is basically disordered adamantine molecules that forms a fractal pattern turning into crystals.

Dwarves use - god knows what - to order the crystals. Sort of like using a magnet to magnetize hard iron.

This causes the adamantine to break up into strands. which can be disordered back into wafers.

Perhaps adamantine also acts sort of like graphite, which iirc basically forms large sheets which are linked to each other (my grade school geo is really bad).

So this way you can get away from having to use extreme heat to turn the metal into different states.

Also with regards to weighted weapons - With adamantine,  you really just need the leading edge to be capped by a perfectly rigid monoatomic strip of addy. So you could ideally have a baton with little wedges of addy attached to it at regular intervals. If you spin it - it shreds whatever it touches. If  you swing it, it will crush straight through.

I always pictured adamantine as a weave sort of like carbon fiber. They take the strands and weave them into sheets called wafers which are then heated to 'set' them into hardened plates and used in armor/weaponry. For clothing they simply forgo the heat setting process and it is more like a worn kevlar weave.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 02, 2012, 06:59:33 am »

You must be an O3 to know that.

And I like to think that Dwarven beards are sentient, living organisms who are symbiotes with the Dwarves. The beards have exceptional sensory apparatus, which is how a dwarf never gets lost in the labrynthian tunnels of a fortress.

Hell, just put the warfen beard down as a new scp.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2012, 10:20:17 am »

The DF world could certainly be a hollow sphere with a crust of slade on the inside.  You wouldn't need an antigravity source at the center if the world were rotating.  Centrifugal force (I know it's not really a force, but it's much less complicated to treat it as one) would keep everything on the inside of the sphere.  There could even be a sort of "mirror surface" on the inside, with stone and soil layers, and maybe even vegetation.  An entirely separate world could exist inside the planet, and the only way to travel from one to the other would be to go through the eerie glowing pits (the fact that they glow might imply that there's something at the center giving off illumination, like a miniature sun floating at the center of the planet).
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:52 am »

So DF worlds are mini dyson shields?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 02, 2012, 11:50:56 am »

So DF worlds are mini dyson shields?

This explains the number of dwarf fortress worlds we generate as dyson spheres are massive...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2012, 11:59:14 am »

Okay, but what about the smaller worlds? They obviously wouldn't be large enough to account for a sphere, and sayimng that they cover only part of a sphere would lead to troube as it would therefore be possible to jump off the edge of the world and land on the slade.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »

Okay, but what about the smaller worlds? They obviously wouldn't be large enough to account for a sphere, and sayimng that they cover only part of a sphere would lead to troube as it would therefore be possible to jump off the edge of the world and land on the slade.
Not necessarily, if a pocket world is a tiny island or a region of a larger continent then there can still be a huge area outside it but without any contact with the pocket world. 
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2012, 01:44:06 pm »

As quietust often points out, you gen a region/island[/], not an entire world.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 02, 2012, 01:48:14 pm »

As quietust often points out, you gen a region/island, not an entire world.

^This.  You could, in theory, generate an entire world (just make the size of the "region" absolutely massive), but the strain on your computer would be immense.  Also, the edges wouldn't wrap around like you'd expect them to.  Maybe in a later version of DF.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2012, 02:04:36 pm »

Maybe it is like minecraft in that regard. The generated land just stacks onto the sides forever (small regions) with different worlds created from time to time (large maps).
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 02, 2012, 02:22:51 pm »

You must be an O3 to know that.

And I like to think that Dwarven beards are sentient, living organisms who are symbiotes with the Dwarves. The beards have exceptional sensory apparatus, which is how a dwarf never gets lost in the labrynthian tunnels of a fortress.

Hell, just put the warfen beard down as a new scp.

i'll get on that, as soon as i get the joke SCP thatis definitely NOT a pony.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 02, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »

I really like the idea of the DF world being a hollow sphere with a mysterious mirror-world on the inside. That has a super high fantasy feel to it. Makes one wonder what could lurk on the other side...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 02, 2012, 02:38:58 pm »

I really like the idea of the DF world being a hollow sphere with a mysterious mirror-world on the inside. That has a super high fantasy feel to it. Makes one wonder what could lurk on the other side...
Kobold Kamp.  ;D
[DWARFINEERING]

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 02, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

That is what the demons are protecting us from.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »

no, the demons protect the things on the inside. let's face it, whatever lurks down there probably wouldn't cope well with a civilization that weaponizes everything, including weaponization itself.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36