Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 204367 times)

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:22 am »

It also occurred to me, that if adamantine has atoms that size and a density of that ratio, would that make it porous enough to be watertight?  Or airtight?

Given that it's about as dense as cork, but sinks in water, it seems to not be watertight.  That would indicate a lack of airtightness, too.  On the plus side, addy clothes should breathe well.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2012, 08:46:13 am »

All this talk about quantum mechanics and other technoblabber made me think about some sort of Urist McSchrödinger's Cat -test, where you place a female cat into a slade box. Would I really need a reason?

And don't get me started on the hacks he's come up with based on the "ready an action" rule...

Peasant railguns.

And lastly...

I love you guys. Just wanted you to know that.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:42 am »

plus a sufficiently large line of horses

Best supposition for a theory I've heard yet.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:47 am »

Adamantium doesnt exist, it is the exact opposite of matter, Adamantine strands are voids in the universe left over after the Great Creation. Admantine cannot be destroyed because it isnt there to be destroyed, it is merely the presense of 'nothing', which is why such skill is needed to extract, contain and use it. It glows blue due to the void accellerating photons to faster than the speed of light as they pass through it and causing blueshifting and Cherenkov radiation upron re-entering the universe. It can actually be held because very heavy elements such as platinum gathered around the voids while molten due to the negative pressure (but do not leave the universe because they have mass and there is nowhere to go).

Slade, of course, is the opposite, slade is the flesh of the gods and indestructibe because it is the very (and literal) foundations of the ( flat :) ) universe - only the meta-physical demonic forces have learnt how to warp and meld the fabric of the universe, to change the unchangeable.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:25 am »

A different theory based on Hjd's, Adamantine could be a portal to a fourth dimension or an alternate universe, and anything that touches it with any force is moved to the void that the blade is a portal to.

Adamantine doesn't cut, it just moves things.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2012, 09:49:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I simply did not want people to spam false arguments. I love science and math, especially on the extreme levels. When smart and reasonable people discuss this, the result ends up as threads as epic as this one.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2012, 10:13:59 am »

Best thing to realise about Quantum Mechanics.... "Its all just a bit fuzzy"

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:30 am »

A different theory based on Hjd's, Adamantine could be a portal to a fourth dimension or an alternate universe, and anything that touches it with any force is moved to the void that the blade is a portal to.

Adamantine doesn't cut, it just moves things.

Actually, is it possible that adamantine is simply the 3-dimensional projection of a 4-dimensional object, existing as a "shadow" cast on our 3-dimensional world? In that situation, I'd imagine that the mass would realistically be incalculable, but that to us it would seem impossibly light, yet impossibly strong. Although, in that case, the fact that dwarves could harvest it would be much less believable, or far more impressive.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:21 am »

I find this entire discussion utterly hilarious, because we're now trying to apply highly advanced, theoretical physics to a game where one can pump water over a waterwheel to power said pump, and end up with ten times the power one started with.

So, more stuff about adamantine:
An obsidian blade is the sharpest in existence, with a cutting edge of one molecule. The American Medical Association has reported that that is five hundred times sharper than the best steel scalpel. Obsidian scalpels are being used in surgery today. The thin edge cuts tissue cells which are torn by the best of scalpels made of steel.
I'm going to treat this as meaning that the best steel blade has an edge 500 molecules thick.

From the raws:
Steel's MAX_EDGE is 10000
Obsidian's is 20000
Adamantine's is 100000

I don't know how DF calculates MAX_EDGE, but I'm going to treat it as a relative measure, so that a MAX_EDGE of 10 is 500 times as thick as a MAX_EDGE of 5.
Based on all this, I propose that adamantine can be honed to an edge thickness of less than one quadrillionth of a meter (I'm not very good with logarithms, so someone else can work it out more precisely).  This is well below the radius of a single proton.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:56 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So it exerts an energy field around itself which sharpens it to subatomic levels? I do not even know...
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:16 am »

MAGIC

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:31 am »

MAGIC
No, it is the holy power of Armok! Which means it is powered by the blood of the fallen...

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:28 am »

MAGIC
No, it is the holy power of Armok! Which means it is powered by the blood of the fallen...
The more blood an adamantine blade spills, the stronger it gets!
Which begs the question of what would happen if you killed a vampire with one...
Is it like goblin-made swords from the Potterverse, where it only takes in that which makes it stronger?  I mean, if we've already decided on magic...
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2012, 11:29:05 am »

MAGIC
The more blood an adamantine blade spills, the stronger it gets!
Which begs the question of what would happen if you killed a vampire with one...
Is it like goblin-made swords from the Potterverse, where it only takes in that which makes it stronger?  I mean, if we've already decided on magic...
The vampire would be purified from vampirism post mortem, due to the thirst imposed by Armok wishing to eliminate the competition.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2012, 11:50:02 am »

Awesome thread.  My two-penneth worth...

If it turns out that antimatter does not interact gravitationally with normal matter (currently the subject of some testing at CERN) then could slade and adamantine be two different strange stable configurations of a mixture of matter and antimatter?

Of course 'stable configuration of matter and antimatter' has its own problems...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36