Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Hurray for bugfixes!  (Read 12401 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurray for bugfixes!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:17 am »

Don't mind if take long time, me can wait till Toady fix Cloth Bug.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »

At last! Toady has gone on a great blazing rampage across the Plains of buggyness, smacking down the wicked bugs now cowering in the holy light of their creator!
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:19 am »

I could have sworn that Toady said he already fixed the bug with soap, lye and buckets, but I've read others are still having the problem.  If it still exists, I'm pretty confident it will get fixed since it's been around forever too.

I can confirm this - in my latest fort (genned in 34.02, currently running under 34.05) my dwarves make soap by taking lye directly from the buckets, no more waiting for someone to dump the lye into a barrel. All I need to do is have enough free buckets (it seems they dump water-filled buckets properly as well, as I haven't needed to use DFHack's drybuckets command for a long time now).

Dark Like Snipes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »

Somewhat related to all this, are we still in the rapid bugfix releases that usually follow a major release phase, or is 34.05 it until the next major version?

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

Somewhat related to all this, are we still in the rapid bugfix releases that usually follow a major release phase, or is 34.05 it until the next major version?

With the simple but major bugfixes toady has been working on since the 05 release, I would be very surprised if there wasn't another bugfix release within the next month, at the most.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »

Yup, we're still in the "rapid bugfix releases" stage, with upcoming changes such as the ones listed in the first post in this thread.

See here for Toady's latest efforts.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 11:18:32 pm »

I hope he stays with all the bug fixes for a bit longer than usual...I am OCD about bugs and DF is worth looking past them all...but to have some of the more irritating/common ones gone is an amazing prospect.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 12:10:20 am »

Well, DF development is always a bit unpredictable, even for Toady himself. He could easily go too deep into some "new feature to replace bugged system" and proceed with another several months long development cycle.

Kelvron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:28 am »

I'm a huge fan of checking my RSS feed every day for a post from Toady describing the various and sundry bugs he's slain that day. I can't wait to make a clothing industry worthwhile, or to train new and amazing creatures. Bugfixes FTW!

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16:49 am »

Okay so now it's the dungeon master, nekked dwarves and good/evil plant life. Any guesses for the next long standing bug to be squished?

Maybe a minor new feature like metal mechanisms?

I'm definitely looking forward to this new version, I wonder how long it'll be before someone makes a post about how they neglected to maintain the training on the dragon chained in their main dining room...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:44 am »

Next version is gonna be awesome !

Hopefully toady will fix the animal caretaker problem.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »

Okay so now it's the dungeon master, nekked dwarves and good/evil plant life. Any guesses for the next long standing bug to be squished?

Maybe a minor new feature like metal mechanisms?

I'm definitely looking forward to this new version, I wonder how long it'll be before someone makes a post about how they neglected to maintain the training on the dragon chained in their main dining room...

People have noticed it seems to track pretty heavily with this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.0

Basically, Toady starts doing bugfixes when the pressure to do them starts really mounting up, and that thread apparently gave him the best idea for priorities on bug fixing he would do to release some of that pressure. 

Or, in other words, that thread was a complete success, and should probably be a model for how we get Toady to bugfix in the future...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »

I agree especially since he doesn't and wont fix all the bugs there are any time soon. But making it known from the community side would really help him get rid of the specific ones dragging the most people down which will help everyone in the end.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »

Gosh, this'll be the most spotless release since 40d, which I wasn't around for, so in other words, it'll be the most spotless release I've ever seen.

And it does look like the bug poll was a great success. I dunno how much FPS this'll give me...how long does it take for a dorf's clothes to wear out?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »

Gosh, this'll be the most spotless release since 40d, which I wasn't around for, so in other words, it'll be the most spotless release I've ever seen.

And it does look like the bug poll was a great success. I dunno how much FPS this'll give me...how long does it take for a dorf's clothes to wear out?

It takes several years, but those fortresses that have modded out clothing have reported jumps in FPS from around 20 to 100... so it's a pretty huge deal.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5