Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Friendly" NPC Migrants  (Read 3182 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Friendly" NPC Migrants
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »

My latest fort is having some weird stuff go down with regards to migrations. There are three things from the outset that make this fort different from my others:
1) I played this world in adventurer mode for a while before making a fortress
2) I'm modded to play as humans
3) My fort is settled on an ex-bandit camp that my adventurer cleared out.

So, now to the weird: About half of my migrants are, for lack of a better word, NPCs. They're listed as "friendly" in the unit list, I can't assign them labours, and their descriptions are like merchants' or enemies (ie, just the physical description, nothing about thoughts or anything). They also come carrying tools (like, boning knives and stuff) and pouches full of coins -- exactly like NPCs in adventurer mode. Upon migration, they just loiter about on the edge of the map, with no need to eat or drink. As they're all armed (many of them are in heavy armour, as well, with up to three mail shirts, swords, pikes, you name it) they've been making themselves useful catching and killing goblin thieves. Migration waves aren't exclusively normal migrants or NPC migrants, each has a mix of both. Some of the NPCs are children. One was a were-monkey, which transformed, ignored all the other NPCs, and attacked my real populace. The NPCs aren't included in my fortress population.

Also, slightly less weird but equally as cool: my regular migrants are badass. Every single one has multiple elf kills (and only elf, the civs were at war -- castles are full of elf slaves), high weapon skills, and elf hair/bone/nail trophies. This is hands-down my favourite fort because of all of this.

So, has anyone else noticed anything like this before? I know that migrants can be historical figures, which explains all the backstory elf-killing, but NPC migrants is weird (but cool).

And, whether you've seen it before or not, any suggestions on what to do with the expendable, lightly armed force I have building up outside? There must be forty or fifty of them out there by now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: "Friendly" NPC Migrants
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:48 pm »

NPC's?

In DF?

HURHUHUHUUH

Oh and this is a bug btw. What version are you playing in?

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:51:23 pm »

The NPC issue almost sounds like it may be because you've modded humans in as playable. Though I can't imagine why it would cause it. Just a guess, seeing as I have hardly any knowledge on modding.

You should see if they need to eat/drink/sleep. If they don't, they can replace your watch dogs! (Which is what I do with most vampires I get...)
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »

Oh and this is a bug btw. What version are you playing in?

The latest, 34.05. Also: Bug? ...Or Feature?

The NPC issue almost sounds like it may be because you've modded humans in as playable. Though I can't imagine why it would cause it. Just a guess, seeing as I have hardly any knowledge on modding.

You should see if they need to eat/drink/sleep. If they don't, they can replace your watch dogs! (Which is what I do with most vampires I get...)
No, I frequently mod humans as playable and this has never happened before. I think it's because I'm on a bandit camp (I did it for the free loot at the start). They don't eat, sleep, drink, get upset, worry, or anything. They're like the best expendable guards ever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:28:14 pm »

This bug has happened with Dwarfs as well. So it's not that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:59 pm »

This bug has happened with Dwarfs as well. So it's not that.

Yep. And it is still current as of .34.05. Though honestly, it is rather nice having ambush-detectors chilling out near the edges of the map.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »

Yep. And it is still current as of .34.05. Though honestly, it is rather nice having ambush-detectors chilling out near the edges of the map.

Or perhaps test subjects. :D
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »

I got the king. He's a hundred-storey tall monitor lizard man clown that shoots webs, and has forty THOUSAND elf kills.
I love this fortress!
I can't draft him (not human) but I can make him the hammerer. Maybe he'll grab a maul or something? Time to find out! Now that megabeast webs work, everyone's gonna be wearing some, ah, regal silk clothes as soon as I set up this Clown Silk Farm.

EDIT: Anyone that gets beaten by him is going to explode in the first hit, probably. Best. Autocrat. Ever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:24 pm »

The King is a clown?

dbay, you must destroy your fort. Ensure none escape, it's for the good of the world.

I got the king. He's a hundred-storey tall monitor lizard man clown that shoots webs, and has forty THOUSAND elf kills.

dbay, you must destroy the world. Ensure none survive, it's for the good of the fortress.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »

dbay, you must destroy the world. Ensure none survive, it's for the good of the fortress.

No way. He's a clown, but he's my clown. I can't vamp him because he doesn't eat or drink, unfortunately. (or make mandates!)
If he died in world gen, would he be buried in a tomb as a mummy? That would freak me out to discover.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:27:13 pm »

I've experienced this bug with my Corrosion mod as well. I believe the cause was a modded interaction that added OPPOSED_TO_LIFE. Once I removed this I haven't seen them since.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:34:21 am »

I have had this bug (loitering NPCs) on absolutely vanilla DF (version 34.02 or 34.03... do not remember) after I reduced site cap and unrevealed history in an advanced world generation. It has nothing to do with modding at all.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:37 pm »

Has everyone who encountered this bug played an adventurer on the world first?  It sounds like adventure mode NPC's arent being correctly converted into dwarf mode people. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Leo and the Hairy Midgets

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm not the brightest spoon in the shed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »

Sounds like free protection to me. I mean, I would complain if they were raping and pillaging my fort, but if they're just standing there like turkeys then they're fine to me. Unless they're ugly and an eyesore. You could just, sort of, look the other way. Turn your back to them. Create an apocalypse.

Congratulations on the blood-thirsty elf killers and genetically superior lizard.
I had a drink the other day. Opinions were like kittens I was giving them away, and I had a drink the other day. I had a lot to say.