Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: NEO Scavenger - Post-Apocalyptic turn-based survival  (Read 27390 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEO Scavenger - Post-Apocalyptic turn-based survival
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 02:19:42 pm »

This game is pretty interesting but I am not loving the controls. There's an awful lot of clicking, especially if you want to experiment with skills and crafting stuff

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:25 pm »

Stick or fist vs crowbar = death. Actually, I was already mortally wounded and not able to heal. Just getting injured seems like a death sentence.

It almost feels to me like the game was balanced around the player getting the nanomachine medkit at the very start, since (as far as I can tell, anyway) your choices are either:
1) heal with nanomachines, almost instantly.
or
2) never heal at all.

Unless there's some easy way to make yourself some rudimentary medical supplies (there might be, I haven't explored crafting very deeply) that manage to come at least somewhat close to nanomachines, it seems like getting injured is a death sentence.

Which it would be, if you were some schmo in a hospital gown that ran into a dude with a crowbar and/or a dogman, but which doesn't really (IMO) make for a good game. As-is, it seems like you've either got to take medic as a perk or play it really super safe, and just try to avoid everything and everyone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:12:12 pm by AlStar »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 04:20:12 pm »

It's not enough fun yet. Needs way more work.

Tommers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:00 am »

If people are interested, I recently did a 2 part interview with Daniel Fedor, who is the guy developing this.

You can see

Part 1 here http://bit.ly/KVg6EY

Part 2 here http://bit.ly/IA9Ykb

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »

I don't know what people think of necroing a thread here, but I remember the etiquette is if the post is pointless to the topic, if I'm wrong I apologize.

As of Aug 22nd, the demo has been updated for those who've only played the demo so far so people can try out even more features of the game. I've had the beta for a while now so I can't exactly say what's new for the demo as I only play the Beta. But for those who enjoyed the game's demo before, try out the new demo with the additional features.

However, though, it seems that the creator only limits the player to the southwest portion of the map, so exploring towards the Glow might not be possible in the demo anymore, might want to keep that in mind.

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/670

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »

Since I'm now looking into this game for the first time because of this thread, I think it's legit. Thanks for the link and the update, Azure!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:13 am »

Just played for the first time (thank you about that thread) :
I like it !

Combat is not that nice (statuses don't include light wounds and such, so there is nothing to tell you the standard length of a combat).
The bag system is sometime boring (having to wear pants to get what is in its pockets,...), but quite nice.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »

Just found this advertised on steam greenlight, and am now playing the demo. Lots of fun, albeit clunky interface. If you've played SS13, you'll get it pretty quickly.

My first day, picked up a bunch of water bottles, threatened another hobo with a meat cleaver and stole his crackers. !! FUN !!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 06:50:41 pm »

I may have to try this out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 07:49:20 pm »

If this is your first character, you should pick Melee, Medic, and Tough skills. They make the initial learning curve a little less, steep, especially medic. Make sure to search the initial room for medical supplies.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »

Games pretty damn fun, I must say. I wish I could afford the beta. :(

Decided to be different when I made my character, avoided the suggested newbie builds and went with athlete, hiding, tracking, botany and insomnia. Everything was going pretty well for awhile, hiding, covering my tracks and such to avoid confrontation and the inevitable life ending wounds of combat but I got greedy. I dug too deep, guys, and a bandit won out. Should have just snuck off...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:13:10 pm by Infuriated »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 09:42:23 am »

Games pretty damn fun, I must say. I wish I could afford the beta. :(

Slight necro, but as another thread pointed out, this is currently in a $1 dollar bundle for the next 10 days:
http://groupees.com/bm5

(Requires a Desura account.)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »

Been playing this ( got it for $1 ) I'm finding it fun but its frustrating when you did at the start 10 times and when you finally get to the glow and get a wrist band a dog an mauls you >,>. But I hope he is still updating this it's rather fun.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2013, 12:18:32 pm »

bumping for good measure since it went on steam a couple of weeks ago

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 10:28:29 pm »

So, Rock Pooper Shotgun posted a thing today.

I'm not really one for the brutal survival sim vibe ala Day-Z or Rust that's been going around... but this seems more like a classic roguelike in essence.  Still brutal, yes, but the turn-based rhythm makes for a game of risk-management and moral ambiguity instead of paranoid twitch.

I hadn't seen this thread before I read the RPS article and searched, but I'm definitely putting this game on my watch list.  Might even get to the demo before summer!  >_>
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5