Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 800447 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #810 on: April 26, 2013, 09:54:54 am »

I just returned from being away for a week.

What do you mean with "everyone died" is that -everybody- in the adventurer home?

I guess you should upload a save, so we can continue. If you remember anything about the battle or the rest of your adventures then posts on those subjects would be greatly appreciated, some of the people here posted that they were okay with a bloodbath at the adventurer home if it was extensively documented. It would be useful to know which adventurers survived. I guess others could use the combat log to reconstruct events but it is hard to understand; adventurers are not indicated with their names and there are dozens of combatants and reanimated body parts and cats involved.

So I went to retire and realized I wouldn't know where to find kaslun.

For future reference: I think legends mode tells you in what town the character currently lives. you would still need to search that town, but it is doable. I found all the adventurers in Dinnerwandered by starting a few large test embarks, and browsing through the unit lists.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:31:29 am by Bralbaard »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:27 am »

The Gods of Olympus play their games with the mortals of the world, each with their chosen champion...

Zeus: "Aha! I'll have mine bring a dragon's egg to the appointed place!"

Ares: "Mine shall slay hundreds of vampires and bring back carts of their blood!"

Apollo: "Mine shall travel far and wide, bringing back a masterfully sharpened stone!"

Hades: "Mine will travel to Hell itself and bring back a Sword of Doom!"

Kromgar: "Mine will... eh, he's somewhere, and by the way everybody's dead..."

Everyone else: "Whaaaat?!!!"

---

That's pretty much what popped into my head when I read this.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:07 pm »

Kromgar: "Mine will... eh, he's somewhere, and by the way everybody's dead..."

Kromgar however did submit the book collection and a titan corpse, the books shaped this world history more than anything else did so far. His last adventure may have ended in tragedy, but since we already dragged the pantheon into this, isn't that how most classical mythological stories end?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, Dwarf Fortress is almost tailor-made to tell Greek Comedies and Tragedies.  If I can find a map of Greece done in Perfect World, I may set up an adventurer/fort game where adventurers do great deeds and retire on Mt. Olympus, if judged worthy by the Players/Gods who have taken the roles of the various Greek and Roman gods.  Heck, there could even be a weekly poll determining what the next Great Task to be accomplished should be, simulating the Council of the Gods.  Could be a lot of fun.

The only problem I see is the lack of boats.  Helen of Troy would have to have "The beard that launched a thousand carts", for instance and Odysseus' journey might be swimming up a big river instead.  Otherwise it would be interesting to set up forts to be the various cities/lairs of Greek mythology.  The minotaur at Minos, the golden apples of the Hesperides guarded by the fire breathing cattle.  The city of Troy and Sparta... All that great stuff.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, Dwarf Fortress is almost tailor-made to tell Greek Comedies and Tragedies.  If I can find a map of Greece done in Perfect World, I may set up an adventurer/fort game where adventurers do great deeds and retire on Mt. Olympus, if judged worthy by the Players/Gods who have taken the roles of the various Greek and Roman gods.  Heck, there could even be a weekly poll determining what the next Great Task to be accomplished should be, simulating the Council of the Gods.  Could be a lot of fun.

The only problem I see is the lack of boats.  Helen of Troy would have to have "The beard that launched a thousand carts", for instance and Odysseus' journey might be swimming up a big river instead.  Otherwise it would be interesting to set up forts to be the various cities/lairs of Greek mythology.  The minotaur at Minos, the golden apples of the Hesperides guarded by the fire breathing cattle.  The city of Troy and Sparta... All that great stuff.

I think I know what to expect for similar adventure mode succession worlds once the next version comes out and is mostly bug-free.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 27, 2013, 09:39:23 am »

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, Dwarf Fortress is almost tailor-made to tell Greek Comedies and Tragedies.  If I can find a map of Greece done in Perfect World, I may set up an adventurer/fort game where adventurers do great deeds and retire on Mt. Olympus, if judged worthy by the Players/Gods who have taken the roles of the various Greek and Roman gods.

Why stop at Greece?  You could include the westernmost portions of Persia, and northermost Egypt in order to, after the cities are set up, simulate Alexander the Great's conquering of the eastern Mediterranean sea, the city of Alexandria, an actual assault on Troy, etc.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 27, 2013, 12:29:08 pm »

Remove me from a queue, please. Again. Don't feel like df and don't think I'd be able of putting up any decent story any time soon and just want to get rid of a feeling of being obliged.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 27, 2013, 08:35:11 pm »

let me tell you about sailing minecarts across oceans.

it's like skipping rocks across the lake, only your riding the rock and there's no seatbelts.

it's quite fun once you hit the right speed.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 27, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »

let me tell you about sailing minecarts across oceans.

it's like skipping rocks across the lake, only your riding the rock and there's no seatbelts.

it's quite fun once you hit the right speed.

At random I decided to create a Greece-like PerfectWorldDF file that could be used for the world.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 27, 2013, 08:53:39 pm »

Now THAT is a capitol idea!  Is there another violation of real world physics at work here, or does the mine-cart eventually stop skipping and sink?  If the mine-cart does not sink, is there any reliable way to "catch" it on the other side or are the passengers doomed to explode upon contact with land once again?

I'd be very interested in seeing a "how to" post for setting up the device that would skip mine-carts.  Can you imagine the series of island embarks adventurers could only access by using a series of such devices?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 27, 2013, 08:59:33 pm »

If only object density factored into whether or not an item would float on water. We could literally just float across in oak minecarts if it were possible for things to float.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2013, 09:00:26 pm »

I'm going to set up a separate subject post for the Ancient Greece game and stop derailing the Museum stuff (which I'm still working up a Dinnerwandered street and sewer map for, even though RL has gotten a little busy.  What can I say?  The community here ROCKS.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »

I'm going to set up a separate subject post for the Ancient Greece game and stop derailing the Museum stuff (which I'm still working up a Dinnerwandered street and sewer map for, even though RL has gotten a little busy.  What can I say?  The community here ROCKS.)

By the way, here are the parameters I made for various sized world of Greece (almost, I don't think it is entirely correct geographically, though):
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7607

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 27, 2013, 09:30:26 pm »

Now THAT is a capitol idea!  Is there another violation of real world physics at work here, or does the mine-cart eventually stop skipping and sink?  If the mine-cart does not sink, is there any reliable way to "catch" it on the other side or are the passengers doomed to explode upon contact with land once again?

I'd be very interested in seeing a "how to" post for setting up the device that would skip mine-carts.  Can you imagine the series of island embarks adventurers could only access by using a series of such devices?
it sinks after the force that push it ends. though I kinda have a ollie function for karts... sadly the ability to jump is only useful at [0:speed] fastdwarf 1 since syncing up the timing for jumps is near insane also adventure mode isn't that open in the air. but the fun of launching onto the air in slowmo makes up for it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 28, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »

Ok so I just went to mediafire where I uploaded the save... It isn't there and I deleted the zip file I had made. So should I just go and redo it with the battle royale where everyone dies and Kaslun just gets retired in some town never to be seen again?

I dont know what happened. Maybe the upload failed and I never noticed but the .rar of the save is gone

I am so sorry.

(Unless anyone knows if Winrar does backups of a archive that I can find in some folder)

(I could always submit Kaslun to whatever lives in Dinnerwandered the place is wrecked and it appeared there was blood everywhere I think Kaslun will die if I find what caused this.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:28:06 pm by Kromgar »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 162