Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 800434 times)

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1380 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »

I also considered collecting all the secrets, which is more doable (no Nil&Dishmab to kill) and kind of more fun too.

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:43 pm »

I'd like to sign up for a turn. :)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 09, 2014, 05:09:34 pm »

Killing all the necro-philliacs?!  We have people who are romantically attracted to dead bodies in our world?!! (OK, that would totally put a different spin on why necromancers raise so many freaking undead, but YUCK!)

On a side note, to kill every necromancer in the world, you'd need to somehow get rid of or hide every slab and book that gives those powers as well.  Perhaps set up a specific fort with a surface chute that leads all the way down to the Magma Sea or something...

Not to mention killing necromancer heroes will be tough

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:41 pm »

Tough would be an understatement. You're gonna be praying for some mad rolls if you intend to kill all those adventurers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 09, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »

Kite them to a place outside the Museum, embark there, use an FB trap baited with a kitten or something to kill 'em - done.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

koter

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Write Post: taken by mood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:23 am »

My two cents: I replicated Nil Swifttoast in the Arena and tried putting him up against basically everything.
Forget dozens of dragons, scores of adamantine-laden bronze colossi and hundreds of vampire melee warriors backed up with as many crossbowmen. Not even a horde of his replicas minus one level of skill (since you can only assign grand master skills to new units) can best him. He is, as Kesperan put it, indestructible. The only option I see is the atom smasher.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:04 am »

...... Wow......
Would he die from falling off a cliff?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »

I'd like to sign up for a turn. :)

I've added you to the list

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »

The only way to kill Nil Swifttoast is to behead him.

Since he is also a swordmaster necromancer and is clad in full Adamantine armour, that is very hard.

Having said that, the eight dwarf strong militia from Ironhelm were all insanely tough. They were all legendary 100+ fighters with 50-100 kills each with named masterwork adamantine weapons and shields. They minced everything they came across. Half of them then migrated to Goodbrews and kicked more ass there. They would be able to take on a necro adventurer.

Since my character Dishmab seems to be an enemy of the Omon Woge human civilisation and perversely his own civilisation The Rough Labor (no doubt due to his habit of butchering adventurers), I am intending to steer clear of Ironhelm and Goodbrews, unless I decide to "suicide" him by challenging the Black Baron - the Baron of Ironhelm Stukos Stirflag, who in Legends Viewer is in the "top 5 still living" notable kill list behind Ushat Parchgear, Nil Swifttoast and yours truly...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:56 pm »

Yeah, I'll just gather all the secrets and swim to Channeledpower..

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 10, 2014, 07:57:10 pm »

Ah - my FB trap involves a 3 x 3 x 1 block of stone held up by a support in a 3 x 3 room only accessible by a single-use drawbridge.  The drawbridge is crossed, it permanently raises, "locking" the FB into the room with the support in the center.  The support can be destroyed by the FB (splat! FB problem solved) or activated by a lever (splat! FB problem solved).  The block prevents anything from flying out and the bridge prevents anything from exiting that way either.  It's pretty much foolproof.  Best part is, a new room can be excavated one level below the sprung trap with a minimum of fuss - the bridge is moved down by one and a new support placed before the roof is channeled free once more from the exterior walls.  After awhile you end up with a 5 x 5 pit sinking several z-levels, which is a good place for unwanted prisoners.  Welcome to the oubliette!

XXXXX         [===]
X      X       []__I__[]
X      X
X      X
XXXXX

I imagine I'll need to smooth the walls of the pit level by level once climbing is implemented, but other than that small measure, the trap/oubliette will still be quite viable.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:13:30 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:27 pm »

So... I am about 40% through my turn. I have ticked a few things off the list. Hopefully have some amusing tales and screenshots to share.

The forts I have explored so far have not provided much treasure or challenge, so I may have to head to Ironhelm after all. This is mainly because I lost all my masterwork adamantine weapons and shields after an encounter with an evil syndrome cloud... and I know where to get some replacements, that is if the militia who hate my guts don't dismember me!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:36 pm »

@Proto: swim over to Australia and sell the secrets to the elves.  Who knows where they'd put 'em after that?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 11, 2014, 05:22:38 am »

The slabs will be a pain..

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:06 am »

Inspired by all this talk about Nil Swifttoast being indestructible, I decided to redo the fight between him and Dishmab to see how well Dishmab, one of the most powerful adventurers alive, would have fared had Nil not been controlled by the AI. The result?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's clear who the more powerful character is.

Whilst Nil generally couldn't pierce Dishmab's full-body adamantine armour with his steel sword at most places, there were a couple of weak points that could be exploited, such as the upper body, which could be stabbed at to damage vital organs. Since Dishmab was not (entirely) undead, he had the usual weaknesses related to living organic creatures: blood loss, requiring to breathe and feeling pain. Ultimately, these were the factors that lead to his demise.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 162