Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necro tower embark- SCIENCE  (Read 2690 times)

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necro tower embark- SCIENCE
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:01:36 am »

I used Just Embark to situate myself over a tower I'd cleared out in Adv mode.

• Zombies respawn whether there are any necromancers there or not. (Same as adventure mode.)
  • First try, 100 zombies streamed out and slaughtered everything because the door was stuck open.
  • Savescum, second try, cleared the body parts from the doors with my adventurer, then retired/embarked, locked the door and quickly built a wall in front of it with blocks. However, the zombies didn't even try to break them down, even though they were made of oak. They did kill a miner and an animal who had embarked inside the tower, though.
  • SO... zombies spawning in a tower appear to respect locked doors, or at least don't use BUILDING_DESTROYER on their own door?  In retrospect, I should have built some of my own furniture outside their door to test. I haven't looked at the raws, either, spawning corpses like this that aren't part of a siege may not even be building destroyers, or have different AI.  You know, purely adventure-mode zombies, but appearing in fortress mode.
  • Built a moat around the tower with a spillway leading from the door.  Planned to flush the zombies out into the moat with water pumped in through a hole in the top of the tower. Considered either leaving them in the moat and dealing with the job cancelations, or just flushing them down into the caves, which are only 6 z-lvls down.
  • Before bothering with the water, though, I tried luring them down into the moat, first with a puppy, then a camel.  Unlocked the doors, nothing. They didn't move, as if they had grown used to my presence. Perhaps we can learn to live in peace, after all?  Actually, maybe the locked door set a glitched flag on their pathfinding.
  • So, tried the water trick, filled the tower, and forgot I was in a freezing biome. The bottom of the tower got filled, along with a bit of the second level, and BAM!... winter hits.  The inside of the tower didn't keep the water from freezing, even though it's set Inside-Above Ground.  All the zombies on the first floor were killed, naturally.  One of them had wandered outside (and still NOT going after the animals, mind you) and left the door open, maybe it let a draft in.

In short, necro towers are weird, weird places.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Necro tower embark- SCIENCE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:53:07 am »

...The inside of the tower didn't keep the water from freezing, even though it's set Inside-Above Ground.  All the zombies on the first floor were killed, naturally.  One of them had wandered outside (and still NOT going after the animals, mind you) and left the door open, maybe it let a draft in...

This is the expected result. Only underground locations don't have freezing water. The temperature underground is fixed to 10015 U (8 C or 47 F).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:55:03 am by Urist Da Vinci »

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »

This is the expected result. Only underground locations don't have freezing water. The temperature underground is fixed to 10015 U (8 C or 47 F).

Ahhhh.... I am a bad scientist.  It's a temperate forest, but almost taiga really, frozen at least half the year. Since I can't flush them without killing them, and they evidently won't go after bait animals or furniture, I guess I can't keep them.  :'(

Something else came to mind; no stockpile for books? I can move the slab, I'm sure, but I may not have a may of moving the books around where I want them.  Maybe dumping/refuse pile.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:09:02 pm »

Books may go into finished goods.

Also, turn temperature off during summer, water won't freeze.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:31 pm »

Quick thing to note, anything built with (b) (c) (w) cannot be destroyed, regardless of what it's made out of.