Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire mayor.  (Read 7246 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Vampire mayor.
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:31:05 pm »

Well, I've had this vampire in a walled off room, hoping to avoid any trouble. Just sitting there, but even without anyone's contact, she somehow became mayor. Probably because of her high social skills. Anyway, so I got this dwarf in a corner, and this election brought my attention to the situation. I need someone's opinion. Should I toss her in the magma composter I use to remove bodies (embarked near Tower) Or is this ample time for !!science!!?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Vampire mayor.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:53 pm »

Just replace the vampire with someone you like better for mayor.  That's what I did.  It worked fine, and my choice only had a fetish for barrels which was easy to satisfy.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »

If she has good tastes that make for easy mandates, keep her.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:39:17 pm »

ooh, just figured out that I accidentally composted the old expedition leader. That may lead to problems.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:57:42 pm »

Why would you give up on a vampire mayor or replace them? Vampires are significantly easier to keep happy.  Hell, I'd make mine the baron.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »

Don't vampires vile longer as well?
In that case, you got a mayor for life eternity!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »

Due to all those bugs with the body discovering i'd be more tempted to use a room full of steel spikes than magma, but otherwise just that.
Magma is overrated.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12:04 pm »

Why would you give up on a vampire mayor or replace them? Vampires are significantly easier to keep happy.  Hell, I'd make mine the baron.

If it's locked up, you may get problems with diplomats leaving unhappy- if you care.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »

Heh, I made mine the baron.  And then was too lazy to make him a nice set of rooms.  He went stark raving mad inside the inner circle of my catacombs, locked away.  So now I've had a completely insane vampire stuck in my tombs for a few years.  I'm sure all the dwarf parents tell their annoying useless kids scary stories about him all the time to keep them in line.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 06:38:35 am »

Heh, I made mine the baron.  And then was too lazy to make him a nice set of rooms.  He went stark raving mad inside the inner circle of my catacombs, locked away.  So now I've had a completely insane vampire stuck in my tombs for a few years.  I'm sure all the dwarf parents tell their annoying useless kids scary stories about him all the time to keep them in line.

You need to train it. Give it a danger room, and occasionally drop goblins and hostile wildlife in there. And then make sure the lever which unlocks his chamber is conveniently located in a high traffic area to maximise your chance of an insane/tantruming dwarf flipping it.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 07:08:10 am »

If you assign a vampire to a burrow it will never leave it. He can conduct meetings, and since he's usually a good broker you can make a burrow for the trade depot too, making him a jobless guy who does everything you need from a normal dwarf but you don't need to wait on.

Not sure why people wall up the vampire, too much work for me.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:44 am »

If you assign a vampire to a burrow it will never leave it.

I´m pretty sure I read that vampires will leave their burrows to feed.

But yeah... why all the complaints? Lock them away behind something building destroyers can´t reach, walls or a drawbridge. Drop a pick into the room (and whatever you else find useful), that way you can kickstart your civilization after the worst sieges.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:07 am »

If you assign a vampire to a burrow it will never leave it. He can conduct meetings, and since he's usually a good broker you can make a burrow for the trade depot too, making him a jobless guy who does everything you need from a normal dwarf but you don't need to wait on.

Not sure why people wall up the vampire, too much work for me.

IIRC a feeding vampire will leave burrows if it gets hungry enough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:03 am »

holy crap, I just realized this. Insane dwarves usually die from starvation or dehydration (or suicide).  Insane vampires will never die unless they are killed or jump off a ledge.

This is really awesome!
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 04:02:26 pm »

Lock them away behind something building destroyers can´t reach,

Alternatively, lock them away behind something building destroyers can break, but at the far end of your fortress so nothing can get to it without fighting their way through the entire fortress.

That way, a rampaging horde that wipes out the fortress will eventually reach a mysterious locked door, break it down to find out what treasure is stashed inside, and unleash its own doom.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: [1] 2