Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shotting thru the ground  (Read 2709 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shotting thru the ground
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »

If what you want is a way for your marksdwarves to fire outside of your pyramid, while remaining protected from relatively unskilled goblins, how about:
Code: [Select]

...........:W
.........fW..
......ffWFFFF
....GW......

Here, you've replaced the outside floors (above the second level) with grates or bars, and you've built a level of fortifications on the inside second level of your pyramid.  Now, marksdwarves fire upward at goblins climbing the pyramid, who may only return fire if they're skilled.  (It'll be a pain in the ass to build that layer of fortifications though.)

If you don't expect goblins to climb your pyramid, you can lower everything a couple of levels, so that dwarves shoot up at goblins moving around on a ground made up of a grid of grates/bars.

Ultimately, though, having a wide field of fire isn't particularly important, unless you're all walled up.  You would probably do better to station the marksdwarves behind fortifications at your entrance, so that they meet every goblin, rather than having to run around to shoot at various squads.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »

in the middle of the reading i had this idea:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

then i stopped reading and went to draw.

not very efficient, but damn awesome, all i need is for floor grates to be buildable near the edges

will also work to drain the magma wave that will be released from the top of the pyramid in the far, very far future

Edit: damn. grates, floor bar, etc can't be built on the map edges...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:16:13 pm by Guedez »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

I suppose no-one checked to see if you can shoot through floor bars or floor grates? Because you can't. Someone please prove me wrong.

I've tested this by embarking, building grates and bars, and then returning as an adventurer. The floor grates and floor bars block line of sight and line of fire.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 07:39:05 pm »

I suppose no-one checked to see if you can shoot through floor bars or floor grates? Because you can't. Someone please prove me wrong.

I've tested this by embarking, building grates and bars, and then returning as an adventurer. The floor grates and floor bars block line of sight and line of fire.

D:

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:45:36 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]