Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: SCP: Containment Breach  (Read 233193 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: SCP: Containment Breach
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:47 am »

Okay.  But still, destroying them would be better.

Not necessarily.  The Foundation needs to learn all they can about SCPs.  More of the same type may come, in which case it would pay to know as much as possible about them.  Some may be useful as weapons, tools or catalysts.  Some are sentient and need help to end their suffering.  A few may warn of potentially greater threats.  Attempts to destroy certain SCPs might bring forth unanticipated and dangerous reactions. 

There are far more reasons for keeping these things around, but I'm getting bored of typing now.  Besides, something that has already been neutralised isn't likely to be particularly scary.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »

also that near godlike creature thats hard to kill and reanimates in that cube, why not use artillery on it?

If I remember correctly, that's Able, SCP-076-2. The box itself is SCP-076-1.

According to this (WARNING, CLASSIFIED INFO), SCP-076-2 caused an event that activated the on-site nuclear warhead to prevent a cascading failure. SCP-076-2 was destroyed, but the box itself, SCP-076-1 remained unscathed.

So, if a nuclear warhead won't do it, I doubt artillery would. Many SCP are indestructible, despite increasingly more powerful means used to determine their strength. Others are more prone to destruction, but are kept safe in case further knowledge can be gleaned from them, as described by other posters.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

Besides ABle can be reasoned with you can use him to hunt down and contain other SCPs, so no reason to destryo him necessarily. However 173 has to my knowledge no proper use...i mean what do you want with a statue that kills you when you forget to look at it? you can't use it as a proper weapon nor does it have any scientifical value besides being a concrete sculpture that KILLS. Burn it , drop it in acid and be done with it.

Now before Fniff goes in O5-MODE again, i know that its Secure Contain Protect. Yeah but the premise is keep that that can be researched,used or cant be otherwise destroyed and destroy everything which is dangerous...otherwise the Organization would be complete bollocks.

I mean they used idiotical amounts of manpower and resources to destroy 682...why nto destroy 713? Yeah it can be put in a small room and be done with it but next time Kondraki runs amok fifty guys are going to die again because somebody broke it's containment room...what i basically want to say is that keeping THAT thing is uneconomic: it has no use AT ALL...

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »

Besides ABle can be reasoned with you can use him to hunt down and contain other SCPs, so no reason to destryo him necessarily. However 173 has to my knowledge no proper use...i mean what do you want with a statue that kills you when you forget to look at it? you can't use it as a proper weapon nor does it have any scientifical value besides being a concrete sculpture that KILLS. Burn it , drop it in acid and be done with it.

Now before Fniff goes in O5-MODE again, i know that its Secure Contain Protect. Yeah but the premise is keep that that can be researched,used or cant be otherwise destroyed and destroy everything which is dangerous...otherwise the Organization would be complete bollocks.

I mean they used idiotical amounts of manpower and resources to destroy 682...why nto destroy 713? Yeah it can be put in a small room and be done with it but next time Kondraki runs amok fifty guys are going to die again because somebody broke it's containment room...what i basically want to say is that keeping THAT thing is uneconomic: it has no use AT ALL...

Grandfather clause.  That thing is the SCP.  It's the original.  No one touches it.

Plus, it helps that the other SCPs are actually afraid of the damn thing.  Including 682.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2012, 01:39:06 pm »

Most attempts at destroying something are fairly experimental, to see if and what can harm something. Any idea beyond a lab experiment is purely situational (Like 076-1's immunity to nukes). I'm also guessing they don't want to risk a cascading disaster caused by the destruction of any SCP that isn't fully understood. Some, like 682, are pretty easy to understand - 682 a creepy lizard that wants to kill stuff, escape from captivity, and kill more stuff. The consequence of destroying it is relatively low, but, so far, all attempts to destroy it have failed, so it really doesn't matter.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

I'll use the statue (173) as a specific example.

Let's say a few hundred SCP-173 appear.  If you've destroyed the only previously known instance of it, you have nothing to experiment on.  If it's still 'alive' then it opens up the possibility of finding out precisely how SCP-173 reacts in scenarios the Foundation may not have had to reason to consider before.  They could also test different methods of containing and/or harming the SCP.  Is CCTV enough to paralyse it?  Is it actually paralysed while viewed, or merely choosing to remain motionless for some reason?  Would masks or even paintings/posters be enough to trick it into believing it is being watched?  What effects do things like extreme temperatures, sonic frequencies and pressure have upon the subject?  Does it's behaviour change if viewed by a certain amount of people simultaneously?  Can it learn from experience?  Does anything change when it's viewed through glass/clingfilm/plastic?

We also don't know what happens if it's destroyed.  Maybe it's merely a golem containing something even worse.  Perhaps damaging it would release some kind of non-corporeal entity capable of controlling multiple objects.  It might want to be destroyed for this very reason.  Hell, it might just end the world somehow.  We have no idea why and how this thing is any different to a regular statue.  Surely it's better to keep this SCP contained than risk the potential consequences of failing (or succeeding) to destroy it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2012, 03:03:10 pm »

You seem to think D-class personnel aren't expendable...
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2012, 04:28:14 pm »

First: Of course D-Class is expendable...but after all SCP has to deal with roughly 2000 Different SCPs at the moment some consuming dozens of them a day...but like everything the Foundation may have ludicrous amounts of funds, weapons and even nuclear weaponry aswell as manpower but stretch all that over all those 2000 SCPs and you have to admit that if those amounts of resources would be pointed at the containment of other SCPs, they would be used for something more useful...

Secondly: lordcooper with the second thing i can't disagree but with your first block i can. If i have determined how i can destroy 173 then i can use that method on the other hundreds rendering them no threat...and if i can destroy something that has utterly no use for me at best and can be dangerous at worst then why should i keep it...

@Galick: i'm talking here theoretically ;)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »

No use? Superspeed and the possibility of stopping other hazards similar to it? That's useful.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »

Attempts to destroy certain SCPs might bring forth unanticipated and dangerous reactions. 
SCP 90 and SCP 557 come to mind.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2012, 06:13:38 pm »

It'd be worth it to study the SCP's so that we can replicate the technology or circumstances used to make them.

Imagine if we made our own 173, except instead that whenever you weren't looking at it, it was off busy baking you cakes instead of snapping your neck.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2012, 06:15:16 pm »

Man: ... Creepy statue.
*blink*
Man: ... Lots of cakes. What a windfall!
Statue: *smiling inside*

Awww...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2012, 06:43:27 pm »

It'd be worth it to study the SCP's so that we can replicate the technology or circumstances used to make them.

Imagine if we made our own 173, except instead that whenever you weren't looking at it, it was off busy baking you cakes instead of snapping your neck.
It just won't snap your neck directly anymore. Instead, it'll make baked goods guaranteed to choke you to death.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2012, 05:18:54 am »

After SCP-871, I'm scared of cakes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2012, 01:27:51 am »

I just realized that I really, really like the idea of an SCP mod for DF.

I could make it, probably. 682 would be a breeze (I am plenty experienced in indestructible creatures), but 173 and any location/item-based SCPs are right out, so that's a problem.

EDIT: Already started on 682.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:38:36 am by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54