Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Highway through my embark site...  (Read 4371 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Highway through my embark site...
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:18:54 am »

So, as far as I can tell, I embarked between a goblin fortress and a dinky little tower thing.

And there's a 7 wide shale block highway across the map, complete with bridge, and I hit an 'expansive cavern' at 10 z levels deep.  The caverns go down at least 30 levels.

What are my chances of surviving? Or, more specifically, what will the road do?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highway through my embark site...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:10:57 am »

Never heard of a road like that but the cavern is standard.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 04:19:06 am »

Totally should build your fort in that cavern, then put some stairs and hatch covers around that road so you can just pop up and murder random goblins strolling down the road.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:06:03 am »

Sounds like you somehow embarked on *brace yourself* a road. Shocking! :P

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40:04 am »

So, as far as I can tell, I embarked between a goblin fortress and a dinky little tower thing.

And there's a 7 wide shale block highway across the map, complete with bridge, and I hit an 'expansive cavern' at 10 z levels deep.  The caverns go down at least 30 levels.

What are my chances of surviving? Or, more specifically, what will the road do?
I embarked on a road once. The road diod nothing really. It was just a road, and it acted just like I was the one who built it. There were no random humies walking through my map because they were using the King'
s Highway or anything cool like that.

What coule be a problem is living near a Goblin tower. I'd imagine you'll get sieges/ambushers/snatchers etc. in spades.

Nick

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:19 pm »

Thanks - there's a river and coal, and it seems that everywhere in this world has a basement layer of marble.  My first big fortress in this version was on an island where NOTHING attacked me, and so I'm hoping I form a more tempting target for goblins.  Even though my last fort crumbled when two goblins took down the entire 6 dwarf squad, mostly through everyone jumping off the bridge and drowning.

I had visions of something nasty roaming the road, but I guess not.  I've walled it off for now, but will get back there when I get a few more dwarves (pop cap is 30, and I've got 7 now...) and the miasma from the cat I threw in to explore fades (the cat discovered that the caverns are at least 10 levels high, but that's it.  I need some captive goblins for real exploration...)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:30:39 pm »

Dismantle the road and build a tower out of it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:35:53 pm »

The road is a nice way of ensuring that you'll always have a clear path to the map edge for caravans, since no trees will grow on it.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 12:23:21 am »

Danger zone.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:20:26 am »

Danger zone.

It's the highway to the...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

I think if you set the pop cap to 30 you will get ambushes at best, no sieges. Somebody wrote that sieges start with 50+ (or 60+?) citizens and that sounds about right from my own experience. Though once they know that you exist they won´t stop coming after they reduced your population. My last fort had like 5 survivors when 50 goblins showed up.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:22 am »

I think if you set the pop cap to 30 you will get ambushes at best, no sieges. Somebody wrote that sieges start with 50+ (or 60+?) citizens and that sounds about right from my own experience. Though once they know that you exist they won´t stop coming after they reduced your population. My last fort had like 5 survivors when 50 goblins showed up.
My pop-cap 0, that's not a typo, zero, fortress currently has 45. In year 4. 17 are from my first seven plus the default immigrant waves. The rest of the little bastards were born on-map. I'm in my fifth year.

When you have six couples, each putting out a kid a year, it adds up quick.

So he's gonna get sieges eventually, no matter what his pop-cap is.

Nick

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:24 am »

Was going ok, with 62 (cap still set at 30...) then imported it from 34.02 to 34.05, and forgot to set the cap again...

33 dwarves arrived.  3 died when I dropped the bridge on them, and the bad feelings seem to have vanished from their family - gold statues of yaks in the dining room.

The curious thing is that the birth stampede only started when popn exceed the cap.

Two goblin attacks so far, but one was 6 goblins, one was eight.  I've just used them, and the goblins 12 thieves that all sprinted across the bridge I put up across the creek, as experience for the Whips of Bridging.  Life goes on...