Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ugh, can someone help me?  (Read 3684 times)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
Ugh, can someone help me?
« on: March 11, 2012, 01:16:18 am »

So I've been plagued by the 'NO FLUX STONE EVER' bug since .03 now. I tried redownloading DF many times into different filepaths but they all are affected by the same bug. It's gotten to the point where I want to play DF, but because I can't get flux, and thus am denied steel manufacturing, I just feel like it's pointless so I don't really try or enjoy playing.

If someone (Or better yet a few people) who reliably generates worlds with flux stone could upload somewhere a world with the following parameters, I'd be most grateful.

Size - Large
History - Medium
Civs - Medium
Sites - Medium
Beasts - Very High
Savagery - Very High
Minerals - Everywhere

Also, no Aquifers if possible, please, but they're not a game breaker for me. At this point I just see them as an annoyance since I haven't quite gotten some of the more complicated concepts down. A presence of Aquifers would actually push me to learn how to deal with them, so you'd prolly be doing me a favor in the long run if you included them.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Ugh, can someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23:41 am »

some general things

Sedimentary flux layers are more likely near flat areas and away from mountains and volcanoes.

The finder is often wrong about flux. Sometimes it says there is flux when there isn't and sometimes it doesn't say there is flux.

You can add the [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX] tag to make any stone a flux.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:31:13 am »

Minerals - Everywhere

Quote from: wiki
There is currently a bug with the site finder tool reporting false positives for Flux stone.
This may be related to the mineral frequency setting in world gen, as setting it too low seems to be correlated with not having much flux. See this bug for more info - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2440

I have not heard of this 'no flux stone ever' bug. What method are you using to verify the lack of flux stone? DFHack prospect all?

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:36:12 am »

Site finder, layer list, DFhacks 'Prospect all', even embarking in random places and digging several staircases all the way down to the first caverns DOZENS of times before scrapping a world and genning another only to get the exact same result.

I dunno what the hell it is. I don't mess around with the games files, I even stopped using graphics sets. I download DF from DFFD AND the wiki, put in DFHack, run it, gen a world, no flux. Ever. Anywhere.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:30:40 am »

Are you always trying to embark on a specific site? (i.e. volcano, swamp). Cause if you do, there's a chance that there simply isn't flux in the one geosphere you're constantly over.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:43:27 am »

I've never encountered this except in worlds where I turned up volcanism too high.  Marble appears in metamorphic layers and can be nearly anywhere.  All other flux is sedimentary only.  Since metamorphic layers are mid-level volcanism, and sedimentary layers are low volcanism, volcanoes can prevent you from finding flux.  Volcanoes require 100% volcanism, and with standard X/Y variation in volcanism, all neighboring tiles will have too high volcanism to support flux.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 03:22:43 am »

Yeah, if you're consistently embarking on volcanos (or other ideal-looking sites), you won't find flux. If you're messing with worldgen to turn up volcanism, you'll see much less sedimentary layer area.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:07 am »

Try setting minerals to frequent instead of everywhere. My understanding of the bug i mentioned previously is that minerals take the place of what would have otherwise been flux, therefore, more minerals = less flux. Minerals everywhere = flux nowhere (or almost nowhere). I could be completely wrong, but it is something i've heard before anyway.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:16 am »

Try setting minerals to frequent instead of everywhere. My understanding of the bug i mentioned previously is that minerals take the place of what would have otherwise been flux, therefore, more minerals = less flux. Minerals everywhere = flux nowhere (or almost nowhere). I could be completely wrong, but it is something i've heard before anyway.

I just generated a world from the above parameters and, from what I can see without using utilities, there is indeed no flux to be found. (The finder says there is, but if so it's not displayed on the embark screen; haven't actually embarked to a site to check)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:41:20 am »

(The finder says there is, but if so it's not displayed on the embark screen; haven't actually embarked to a site to check)

Yes, that is exactly the bug i was talking about :P Get in there with DFHack to verify.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:51:32 am »

I just got my first embark capable of producing steel since ... I don't even know when :D
After seeing hematite everywhere, I was like: "cool, I won't have to cover my military in copper this time..."
Unfortunately, it's medium sized. My scarcity is set at 1500.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:51:18 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:23:27 am »

Change your mineral frequency. Seems to be this is a bug you invoke upon yourself by getting too greedy. Be glad it doesn't mean you got a balrog. :P

But seriously, if installing the game over and over again in different places doesn't solve the problem then clearly the installation isn't the problem. Unless your raws are all mucked up, which I doubt due to it being a fresh install again and again, then your parameters are to blame.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:12 am »

Trying it now.

I never saw it as being greedy. I always thought that opening up more metals everywhere would affect everyone, therefore you'd have sieges with stronger forces because EVERYONE has iron at least.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 11:09:18 am »

True enough, but it also means that you'll almost definitely have steel, which nobody else has.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:11 am »

I like how this thread title doesn't describe the issue at all...

Use DFHack prospector, look for marble in particular.  In my worlds it tends to be very plentiful, though I use advanced worldgens for superflat worlds.
Pages: [1] 2