Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.07)(0.6)  (Read 37752 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.07)(0.6)
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:50 pm »

Okay, I finished this.  Reliable data is HARD to find. Everything who has a source is reliable data. What this does is correct all the materials I found so everything (I didn't take a look at silk and a bunch of other things, like milk, though. But all (almost) the organic material will melt.) obliterates in magma, and changed some things so not everything ignites at the same point as wood and have the same heat resistance as wood. I submit this to anyone who wants it.
NOTE: Organic material does not melt, it will be break down in its basic components. Since I don't think DF has this, the melting point will serve as this, so a zombie, leather or an elephant will dissolve in magma.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

And here's the code in pastebin. Sorry, I can't post it in this post because it exceeds the maximum length. material_template_default.txt
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:15:38 pm by arkhometha »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2012, 08:05:02 pm »

Okay, I finished this.  Reliable data is HARD to find. Everything who has a source is reliable date. What this does is correct all the materials I found so everything (I didn't take a look at silk and a bunch of other things, like milk, though. But all the organic material will melt.) obliterates in magma, and changed some things so not everything ignites at the same point as wood and have the same heat resistance as wood. I submit this to anyone who wants it.
NOTE: Organic material does not melt, it will be break down in its basic components. Since I don't think DF has this, the melting point will serve as this, so a zombie, leather or an elephant will dissolve in magma.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

And here's the code in pastebin. Sorry, I can't post it in this post because it exceeds the maximum length. material_template_default.txt

Damn son. That's certainly impressive then. Have you played with this at all yet? Because I wonder how terrifying, fucking with this type of shit, might be.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:14:15 pm by Vherid »

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2012, 11:12:05 pm »

Damn son. That's certainly impressive then. Have you played with this at all yet? Because I wonder how terrifying, fucking with this type of shit, might be.

Thanks. I messed around with it a little but the results are... unsatisfactory. Although, I don't have data about how much time takes for people to melt in lava, I feel it's painful slowly as it is. They will generally bleed to death very quickly before melting. Corpses do melt, but they take too long(one minute and thirty one seconds, to be precise). I didn't test in scorching biomes yet, though. And I forgot to add a melting temperature to giant sponges. They drown in magma.

At least results indicate they burn from the outside to the inside properly. I will need to lower melting values, as it stands it (unsurprisingly) looks like they are in cremation chamber.

EDIT:
I set this parameters:
Changed skin melting point to 200ºC, muscle to 250ºC and bone to 400ºC.
Changed HEATDAM of bone from 300ºC to 200ºC.

The results are:
Person bleeds to death in 6 seconds - before really melting anything.

Animated corpse (only bones) is 39 seconds.

Zombie(let some humans kill themselves with their punches, put a necromancer to reanimate it. The corpse only missing part was one tooth).

Spoiler: Ten seconds in magma (click to show/hide)

Melted in 26 seconds.
So, opinions? I feel people should melt, not die of blood loss. I could lower even more the melting point, but I don't feel comfortable with it. I already changed a lot, even if the data comes from a crematorium room and we are dealing with magma. I feel I should correct the SPEC_HEAT, but I don't have the slightest clue of what unit of measurement DF uses, nor where to find the data on humans parts.. Nevermind, found some data in a old 40d wiki page.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:43:26 am by arkhometha »

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2012, 08:20:22 am »

To answer a question: (relatively fresh) bones do indeed burn, mostly due to the organic content (primarily in the marrow and as fat through the bone). The ignition temperature is highly variable, but 500°C sounds like a good estimate, given that bone char is made at temperatures of 400°C to 500°C.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2012, 12:29:35 pm »

To answer a question: (relatively fresh) bones do indeed burn, mostly due to the organic content (primarily in the marrow and as fat through the bone). The ignition temperature is highly variable, but 500°C sounds like a good estimate, given that bone char is made at temperatures of 400°C to 500°C.
Thanks, I guess it should take some time for the bones to melt. I'm going to double check the values, correct some SPEC_HEAT value, see if someone dying from heat match with the description SanDiego gave, and tone down some values to better reflect the numbers I have being taken from fire and air conditions rather than magma(more especifically, hair and fat values). After that, I'm going to check if all organic parts (like from sponges) have a melting value, then, I'm going to test in the arena and in a scorching climate.
Also, creatures dying of blood loss before melting makes sense, I guess. But as is, the instant their body parts begins to melt, they die and their entire body melts vanishes. I don't know really why.

EDIT: Apparently, bone density is also wrong.  Dunno about other materials, but bone is definitively wrong. It's currently 500 kg m−3 when it should be 1500 kg m−3. This affects heat transfer, but also affects blunt weapon and other damages, so anyone with knowledge in this and how it would affect combat would be of great help.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:26:16 pm by arkhometha »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2012, 02:02:50 pm »

I might compile this stuff soon, but if you're in the middle of figuring things out, I don't want to compile it until it's all done for a nice clean new version.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »

I might compile this stuff soon, but if you're in the middle of figuring things out, I don't want to compile it until it's all done for a nice clean new version.

Sorry for taking too long, here is the final version.

I'm testing the heat aspects now, need to test the bone density changes later and read what putnam and the other modders posted about bone density.

material_template_default V2

Fighted once in the arena, while breaking bones seemed a little more difficult, my human Grand Master Fighter breaked an upper arm and later a skull.
All tests where done with only one subject for each, needs proper testing.

Surrounded in a 7/7 pool of magma:
human bleeds to death in 2 second
Animated dead - only bones melts in 32 seconds.
Zombie - melted 33 seconds (what a strange result)

Sponge dies of melting instead of drowning.

DF mode, scorching biome:
Yaks with burning hoofs! Oops. Accidentally changed IGNITE_POINT to HOOF on the HOOF template. Corrected already.

EDIT: I'm rather satisfied with the test results. In a scorching climate, all murky pools insta-dried but no dwarf melted. It rained, but no dwarf melted. Summer came, yet no dwarf melted. In adventurer mode, nobody melted.
So I declare this officially final. Corrected some bone density, not enough to affect gameplay as shattering skulls with your punches is still possible, and largely corrected the ignition and melt values, taking into consideration the data I have is from a cremation chamber and we are largely dealing with magma.

EDIT2: Scratch that part, it's still wrong. In one of my tests, a human catch fire when walking 1/1 magma pool and continued in fire until he died. I'm not entirely sure that is correct. I think they should melt. Should I make the ignite point higher than the melt point? Why can't it be like this?
Fun facts:
Hair will burn forever, or at least until you die.
You ALWAYS start melting/burning/taking heat damage by the head in a 1/1 lava pool, and presumably on fuller pools: the eyelids, the cheeks, the tongue and mouth.
You need very low melt values to a person to melt on touch with lava. I'm precising this value as of now.
On an unrelated note, being on fire for some time increases your dodge and armor skills.

FINAL EDIT (and verdict):
What melts faster, a human animated corpse on a 1/1 pool or one in a 7/7 pool?
Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

The way DF handles temperature and heat transfer, it's impossible to make limbs melt. So, in a magma tile, no matter the amount of magma, what happens is this: the sensible parts (cheek, lips, eyelids) burn/melt/ignite and then the extremities (toes, foots, hands) and then the rest of the body. As the heat is uniformly distributed, parts will not melt, but they will suffer heat damage, ignite, burn and will already be dead before melting. For some reason (a bug, I assume) hair (and apparently skin also) will burn ad infinitum or until the victim die or gets to water. While I'm satisfied with the values, I still have a doubt: should skin, meat, cartilage, organs, etc ignite?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:46:55 am by arkhometha »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2012, 06:41:42 am »

Ooh its alive again! This is good, kind of presumed it dead a while ago.

The metalworking stuff working is actualy pretty much finished, could still add plenty stuff but the vanilla overhaul is done. Just need to run an actual test round to see if nothing weird comes up.

Also on the lignite hair issue: You may actualy want to set that heatdam value somewhere around the ignition temperature, im not sure if the game will actualy damage the stuff at all else.
Skin igniting... not sure if that will actualy happen in reality, its fairly saturated with water after all. It will be fairly different from matter like dry wood. Its a complicated matter, 'burning' and 'on fire' are different things. Internal organs burn once subject to enough heat, but wont be on fire unless exposed to air, which DF will assume it is when using the ignition temperatures. You could in theory walk around with flaming kidneys while the rest is fine.

It may be wise to use HEATDAM in some instances instead of IGNITE. Though that does come at the sacrifice of wielding !!Groundhog heart!!... tough choices.

Also, fire trains armor and dodge skills? Intriguing...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2012, 10:05:39 am »

arkhometha - you rule! that is fantastic. we now need to run some large-scale combat and scenerio tests, with the archery rebalance and other significant changes, to check how this affects combat etc! i look forward to further !!SCIENCE!! =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2012, 01:22:10 pm »

Also on the lignite hair issue: You may actualy want to set that heatdam value somewhere around the ignition temperature, im not sure if the game will actualy damage the stuff at all else.
Skin igniting... not sure if that will actualy happen in reality, its fairly saturated with water after all. It will be fairly different from matter like dry wood. Its a complicated matter, 'burning' and 'on fire' are different things. Internal organs burn once subject to enough heat, but wont be on fire unless exposed to air, which DF will assume it is when using the ignition temperatures. You could in theory walk around with flaming kidneys while the rest is fine.

It may be wise to use HEATDAM in some instances instead of IGNITE. Though that does come at the sacrifice of wielding !!Groundhog heart!!... tough choices.

Also, fire trains armor and dodge skills? Intriguing...

I set the HEATDAM value to be lower than the ignite value, still, the hair burned forever. Hair IS indestructible, but if the skin melts away the hair will also melt. That's what my tests show, anyway. And thanks, I will take out the ignite values of organs and maybe meat, but if the skin don't ignite the person will survive for a long time. I'm testing some melting values and so far only VERY low values can make skin melt. I will test setting ignite and melting point to the same number or very close.

I tried reproducing the training the armor and dodge kill while on fire in the arena, but I didn't have any luck. I create humans with no skills and make them walk into lava by assuming control. I remember on one of my tests, a subject survived for a LONG time and when I checked  his health, he was a dabbling armor user and dodger.

arkhometha - you rule! that is fantastic. we now need to run some large-scale combat and scenerio tests, with the archery rebalance and other significant changes, to check how this affects combat etc! i look forward to further !!SCIENCE!! =D

Thanks, but I still need to run more tests to make behavior correct on extreme temperatures.

EDIT: Okay, final FINAL version. There are two files now:

material_template_default_Realistic_Behavior - Lower ignite and melting values will ensure your skin will melt and consequently your hair, so you have a slight chance of surviving if your skin melts.

material_template_default_Realistic_Number - Based on the research I've done (be mindful that the data is mainly about cremation chambres and fires - not about the actual effect of magma on bodies, the main testing subject), ignite points and melting points will be higher.

They both contain the last changes of V2 (i.e. bone density change), and things will ignite up to muscle - sinew, nerves and internal organs will not burn, but they will melt. I do recommend the Realistic Behaviour version.

Again, anyone can use this without asking for permission or giving credit.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:15:10 pm by arkhometha »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

Alright, I'll throw things together tonight.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2012, 05:16:58 pm »

Alright, I'll throw things together tonight.

Alright, thanks. With the permission of the modders, once the nre version comes out I will make a compatibility patch to play with modest mod.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »

any update on this awesomeness? =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:29 pm »

Vherid should be busy.

I'm eagerly waiting for this release and to make it compatible with Modest Mod, the recent fixes by binary hacking are awesome.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:36 pm »

Well I found this cool game called xcom, and it pretty much ruined all productivity this week. I should have something for real this time, soon.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11