Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.07)(0.6)  (Read 37767 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.05)(0.5)
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2012, 11:22:04 am »

Hate to double post, But it appears Deon is right. I downloaded the newest version of DF and went around bashing limbs with a warhammer, and It appears my ABS is no longer needed.

I bashed a human in the right upper leg with my hammer, chipping the bone. In which the human fell over crippled

I then wreastled with another human breaking both his shoulders, In which the human lost hold/control over his connected limbs.

Either Toady knew of this "I broke my arm and i'm fine with that" and fixed it, or someone reported it in the bug tracker. Or it was always like that.
Can anyone verify that creatures used to ignored broken/baddly damaged bones in limbs and joints? Cause now I feel i created my ABS for no reason.

Also I downloaded the newest version of GG and will be adding Complete Fingers and altering all body stuff so that heads are on necks. Now to combat the issue of "Now you have to alter every creature to remove NECK from the BODY tag" I will simply make NECK a thoat that is internal to neck that is already in the body.

Also might throw in some combat flavour, But I'll post those here for other's to agree with before I do anything with those (and if I do they will be in a seperate foulder as optional)

EDIT: Damn there is already a THROAT could just make the vanilla NECK a CHIN

EDIT2: this will be added into all humanoid bodies
   [BP:NECK:neck:STP][CON:UB][CATEGORY:NECK]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]

EDIT3: the vanilla NECK is now know as JAW but falls under the FINGER category
Fingers, finger tips, and toes now all have BONE MUSCLE and SKIN instead of the standard BONE and SKIN like before.
Fingers will still have nails and scratch instead of Finger Tips (Im slightly lazy and don't want to run the simple FIND/REPLACE function, plus makes this mod more friendly to be merged with others)

All bodies that are not insectoid or seafood type have an neck part. And all creatures using the NECK bodypart will have a JAW embedded onto their head, hurray for jaw breaking.

Fingers also come with Knuckles, finger joints.

Toes are still little tubes of meat, but toes in RL are basically that. Short and stubby to me is a tube of meat.

I also removed all added NERVOUS tags and the FUNCTIONAL bone tissue from GG (since ABS is now obsolute in the 34.07 version of DF)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:15:46 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »

Alright I'll wait for you to finish that and then recompile for the new version.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:46 am »

With my changes I get spammed with certain animals that can't have their throat attached. Not only that but all Animal People that Toady creates through C-Variaint don't like COMPLETE FINGERS and spamm "no tissue thickness"

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2012, 06:45:09 am »

What about fixing how nails and other parts always get infections? Also, in combat humans and dwarves shouldn't bite so much. Just making some suggestions on realism.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:46 pm »

Animal people have Claws, not Nails.  That was a problem I ran into, myself.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:52 am »

What about fixing how nails and other parts always get infections? Also, in combat humans and dwarves shouldn't bite so much. Just making some suggestions on realism.
I just need to set a healing rate on nails. of course that means doctors with stitch, wrap, and set nails. But they should be washed regularly.

As for biting and scratching, that would involve editing the creatures. I could try and include the altered vanllia creature_standard, as well as a way of doing for those that have modded their creatures and do not wish to try and merge both files together.

Also I got an Exam today and 2 more over the next two days, so Modding has been stalled due to study and chill periods

EDIT:
@Jeoshua
I take it you're talking about the Spamm I receive? If so then I'll have to look deeper into this C_Variant (personally I don't think 50+ animal people make DF realistic, they should be fanciful and non exsistant. People can imagin a Squid-Man but shouldn't acually meet one in the world)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:45:16 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:47 pm »

Armor mod is pretty much finished, there is some tidying up to do and some testing to see if I can get worldgen characters to use sensible armor combinations (rather than just plate armor, a kettle helm and nothing else, which is what they wear in adventurer mode).

There is also entity assingements, which havnt much to do with realism with all the dwarves and elves and such, but I should at least give them arms and armor from a somewhat consistent a culture/time. Also given elves laminar armor which could realistically be made from wood.

As for more detailed combat logs, they are difficult to do due to the nature of the game. Lines like 'run through' would end up like 'You run through the goblin in the upper body with your steel sword, bruising the fat'. The lines cannot allready specify what the attack does, which allready makes things rather limiting. I could do realy specific attacks like 'swing your sword overhead and hit...' but that in turn would get weird when it hits him in the foot. The attack also wouldnt realy be mechanically different, at least not without overpowering some and making the rest redendant.

I did add an alternate attack for bastard swords and twohanded swords:
Quote from: combat log
Human 4 grabs his blade with both hands and strikes You in the right upper arm with the crossguard of her iron two-handed sword, fracturing the bone through the iron right gauntlet with bracers!

Suggestions for more of these are welcome!

I have also been thinking about reworking weapon and armor materials, as well as the weird DF metallurgy. You cant make bows out of copper, and producing steel or iron is not significatelly more expensive than producing copper.

What I have in mind is to remove weapon/armor tags from copper, remove ranged weapon tags from all metals but steel, and add a variety of iron and steel types to be used instead. Which would much more closely match 13th century archeological findings, a low-quality sword at that time wasnt made from copper but simply made from poor quality steel.

Even the 13th century allready had a great variety of iron and steel types, as well as metalugical processes. The ones I found to be used so far are wrought iron, steel of a great variety of slag and carbon content and various degrees of heat treatement and homogenity, as well as folded (also damascus or patterened) steel and laminated steel ('sandwiched' steels of variying hardness). Even nickel steel, presumably from iron meteors.

For the smelting of iron the most of Europe used bloomeries, with blast furnaces occuring, but fairly rarely.

Getting this in the game should be doable, humans and goblins could use bloomeries, with dwarves having the option to replace them with a blast furnace. The current 'iron' could be renamed to wrought iron (which its properties suggest it actualy is, rather than pure iron), and the current 'steel' could be used as a high-quality, dwarf-only metal.

Problematic is though that accurate material properties would be nigh-impossible to find even if I ignore heat treatement and homogeinity...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »

Looks great! Posting to watch.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2012, 08:16:45 pm »

Sounds great Grimlocke, Attacks like you said are hard to do. And even if they are made we can't really make certain ones more powerful due to adv. mode where a player can choose what attack and thus, choose only the most powerful (where a AI randomly selects one due to the Random Attack Bonus chance that Toady put in "!" next to the attack)

As for my progress, I made throats attach to the HEAD (for now until I find a way to attach them to the lacking creatures without editing the creatures)
and the NO TISSUE error was from creatures using other DETAIL plans, so now all body detail plans now contain FINGER_TIP and remove that error.

EDIT:
Pick weapon/digger attacks fleshed out:

[ATTACK:EDGE:50:100:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:2000] - this could probally stay as "strike:strikes" but it's a pick and when I read "strike" I think of a blunt attack not an edge
[ATTACK:BLUNT:400:0:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:0:prod:prods:head:1000]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:30:12 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 09:44:04 pm »

Stabbing is specifically a thrusting motion which with a pick would be, well prodding them. Perhaps 'spike:spikes' or just 'hack:hacks'.

Added the prod and the same shaft attack I had on axes to picks, replaced their 'strikes' with 'bashes'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2012, 08:05:35 am »

So what's the story on the updated version here?  Been a bit since I've heard anything.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2012, 09:19:36 am »

Well I Almost got the next version of the Body System done, Only thing is I don't know if anyone is happy with the "THROAT" being connected to the head.
I could try using a Body Detail Plan to place the throat on the neck of creatures that have it.

Grimlocke Sounds like could be awhile before his modifications are finished. Of course Grimlocke's is another seperate part of the mod.

So I can do a quick addtion and test to see if th B-Detail_plan can bring the throat from the head and place it on the neck (for those that have one)
Then upload, if it doesn't work I can upload it still, but having your throat on your head is quite unreal.

EDIT:
Here it is, GRIM GRIMOIRE V0.5a Body Update for DF 34.07
Download

Note: I called it V0.5a because the weapons and armor and metalworking that Grimlocke is working on is not updated, so this is more of a hotfix
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:59:26 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2012, 10:30:33 am »

I dropped 0.5a into my folder, ran a worldgen, and got 0 errors.  This is based on a vanilla install with nothing but Grim Grimoire and Modest Mod installed so far.

I'll check out some of the battles  and if I notice any weirdness I'll post, but so far so good.  Looking forward to slitting a few throats ;)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2012, 10:53:27 am »

Yeah I was just waiting for people to get their sections more updated, and for me to finish up with classes this semester. I'm done with classes now, but still gotta do review boards which is finals in a way, but I have more time now, I'll put this stuff together in a bit.

EDIT: I'm just curious as to why you gave fingers muscles considering they don't have any, or at least any that really count as muscles?

EDIT2: Updated your body changes into the main package and updated the OP, I'm calling it .6 even if it doesn't have grimlocke's new stuff yet, that's fine. The only think I kept out is muscles in fingers.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:06:05 pm by Vherid »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.07)(0.6)
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2012, 01:33:24 pm »

Well the muscle is really tendons right? And do fingers build up fat?

My father used to milk cows by hand when he was younger so his fingers are huge (basically sausages)

So I'd assume that to be muscle growth (or thicken tendons/ fat?)

That's why I put muscle in.

So that was my own thoughts on adding muscle in, but we are going for realism.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11