Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.07)(0.6)  (Read 37768 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Grimoire - The Realistic Commune Mod (34.05)(0.3)
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:45 pm »

well two handed weapons yes...the way he wrote it I read it as dual wielding (like 2 swords) and then two handed weapons as a separate suggestion (which are of course accurate)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »

well two handed weapons yes...the way he wrote it I read it as dual wielding (like 2 swords) and then two handed weapons as a separate suggestion (which are of course accurate)
Well since I have confused everyone as well as being confused myself I'll just post the weapons here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't mind the extra long attacks as they are only just super attacks in Regen. Of course Stuck-ins are awkward since it says the "dual (weapon) is lodged in the wound" but combat reports look pretty nice, at least I think so.

dual wielding weapons is in no way shape or form a historically accurate or viable fighting tactic...it would not be realistic at all.
Of course Dual Weapons could be an Optional download for those that might like dual weapons regardless of realism.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:00 pm »

Optional or not a realism mod doesnt seem to be the place for unrealistic weapons...

You also seem to be mistaking attack velocity for attack duration. I dont think you can set the latter, and attack velocity primarily seems to influence damage. Its what made whips so stupid powerful.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

well, dual wielding a short sword and dagger would be reasonable for a impromptu battle in the streets late at night, but the only good examples of dual wielding in actual combat irl were bandits or raiders with axes/short swords. mainly as an intimidation factor against the people they stole from, not to fight armies.

so i would personally say that dual wielding should probably include short sword and dagger at most, and even then its not an optimal example.
(also, can't wait for the mounted combat rewrite coming up soon(see: valve time) to make long hafted weapons and 2Hs valid.)

also, explain to me how a dwarf can use a halberd built for a human? gotta love abstract measurements.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »

Halberds arnt as heavy and clunky as they look, they mostly rely on the leverage provided by a long-hafted weapon wielded with two hands. Dwarves are supposedly shorted but more muscular than humans, making it sensible enough for to carry halberds (in my oppinion anyhow).

Even if it didnt, making a dwarf/elf/goblin version for all the larger polearms would just needlessly complicate things.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »

I do agree that dwarves should be able to use halberds

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »

so i would personally say that dual wielding should probably include short sword and dagger at most, and even then its not an optimal example.

Yeah I agree...if dual wielding is gonna be included it should stay on the down low and simple...

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:34 am »

I'm still getting all sorts of "missing tissue from toes" errorlog upon running the worldgen.
Is this intended? or if not; how do I fix it?
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2012, 04:55:48 am »

hmmm... considering weapons, have you added any swords with pure piercing abilities? i.e. a rapier or similar weapon? would be nice to equip dwarfs with what is basically a small fast spear.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2012, 08:54:35 am »

Rapiers originated well after 1400, but I did include the estoc. Its an edgeless stabbing sword, more rigidly contructed and with a sharper stabbing point than the other swords.

Note that they dont attack all that much faster than spears though.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:53 am »

Yeah I agree...if dual wielding is gonna be included it should stay on the down low and simple...
How about:

I'm still getting all sorts of "missing tissue from toes" errorlog upon running the worldgen.
Is this intended? or if not; how do I fix it?

Hmm... The complete toes haven't been added in yet, so check the "b_detail_plan_default.txt" and go down till you find "VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS" then drop this line somewhere in there "[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:ARG4:25:ARG3:25:ARG2:5:ARG1:1]"

EDIT:
Of course make sure that mentioned line is there, or else it might case some weird juju. Like toes being double layerd (bone,muscle,fat,skin,bone,mucsle,fat,skin)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:13:26 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 12:18:32 pm »

That works for sure. Definitely nifty to have bows with a backup melee weapon.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 02:33:13 pm »

I have an idea for parrying daggers that might be of some use. As of 31.01 it's possible to assign dwarves more than one weapon at a time; in fact it's kind of broken, because you can have dwarves dual-wielding and holding a shield. Therefore, why not create a weapon with a stabbing attack that uses the Shield User skill? I have no idea what the in-game effects would be as yet, but at worst it's an interesting flavour addition.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:04 pm »

so... a spiked shield? yeah considering dwarves decorating habits i can see that, possibly give it a... shallow stabbing attack? not sure how that would work out, or if the game would consider it a cut.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »

Sadly only weapons and tools accept attack tokens right now. The item raws are very much behind on the rest of the game... So much for that spiked helmet headbut idea, and no parrying dagger as shield item.

In weapon form it would do no more than any other dagger, and im not sure whether or not parrying checks work when wielding more than one weapon. Adding the shield skill should work though; parrying chance seems to be determined by the weapons skill so in theory you could even add a 'razorsharp tongue' weapon and give it the Prose skill.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11