Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've just had the craziest DF dream ever.  (Read 4461 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
I've just had the craziest DF dream ever.
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:22:27 pm »

Last night, I dreamed that I was playing fortress mode in a fort that was actually prospering and going along quite well. The fort location was perfect, green plains, plenty of trees, flat land, and even a 30-something z-level volcano overwatching everything, (mind you, everything here is an estimate since for some reason, the entire DF world was in fully visible 3D, although the dwarves were still flat beared smily faces). So anyways, it was the perfect fort, several years old, highly efficient yet spacious, and pretty much what any player could dream about.

But then I suddenly recieved a news report about an unusual disturbance in the area (don't ask me how, its a dream and I just did). Shrugging it off, I continued managing my dwarves, carving out rooms, making weapons, and paving the hallways with gold, but little did I know that at that moment, an earthquake appeared and with it came a massive torrent of rain. This rain was unlike any I've ever seen before, since rather than collecting in murky pools as one would expect, it actually collected on ordinary ground and even on the ceiling of my fort. More shocking was how it didn't seem to drain off at all from the edge of the map and instead collected in an ever rising body of water. Fearing that this would turn into something bad FUN, I ordered the immediate closure of all doors leading to the outside. Some water got in and some of the dwarves got washed around everywhere, but the fort was locked down, or so I thought.

Now here is perhaps the most unusual part of the dream. The volcano which oversaw the fortress had many "veins" that supplied magma to various parts of my fortress. In this way, I was able to achieve some of the more dwarfy aesthetic designs which included magma hallways, magma moats, magma swimming pools, and even magma fountains with a line of magma-proof statues standing in the middle. But upon coming in contact with this mysterious rain, the magma actually began to turn into water *gasp*. What were once flowing rivers of magma seething through my fort had immediately become a coarsing flood of water that was quickly filling up any crack it could find. Hallways were flooding, meeting rooms began to be filled, and it wasn't long before the entire stockpile of all the fort's wealth became submerged in water. Dwarves of all kind were being flung and washed around, mothers separated from babies, warriors separated from weapons, and Urists separated from their beloved socks. Because the water source came from such a high place (entire volcano was now water btw), even the highest spots would have eventually been flooded. Everything seemed to turn upside down as I began to fight the battle of dwarves against physics.

Even though most of the stockpiles were flooded, there were still a few doors and floodgates lying around on the top. I immediately ordered the remaining dwarves to grab what they could and all assemble in the topmost main hall where they tried to plug up all the entrances before the water could get to them. Right when the last door was fitted in, a massive crash was heard as the water began pounding on the earthen doors outside. Everyone huddled together for warmth from the dampness, but also possibly out of fear. We were safe from the water, but we were trapped. The water still did not drain off the map, nor did the rain show any signs of dissipating. A guard who was just able to make it back from duty took out a flask and drank his alcohol, the last bit of alcohol in the fortress. I didn't know what to do. We had a miner with a pick amongst us, but it was useless as we were completely surrounded on all sides by water. Someone had a few seeds and tried to begin a plump helment farm, but we knew it was useless; it was nowhere near enough to feed all the survivors, and without alcohol we would all eventually riot against each other. There was nothing we could do, no hope, no future, nothing at all but wait until we either starve, die of thirst, or are mercifully killed by a crazed member of one of our own. One by one, the dwarves began to drop off into sleep where they dreamed uneasy, restless dreams filled with nothing but water, drowning, and the never-ending rain. Eventually, exhausted in the effort of thinking and trying to comprehend the events that just happened, I too sank into a slumber whereupon I then woke up in real life.

And that was the crazy DF dream I just had last night.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:54:21 pm by noodle0117 »

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
Re: I've just had the craziest DF dream ever.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:32:00 pm »

You're pretty crazy, man.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »

When a game requires you to use your imagination that much, expect weird psycho-implications.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:46 pm »

Time for a DF break methinks

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »

Meaning, it's time to take a break from other things to play DF?
;-)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:45 pm »

fort that was actually prospering and going along quite well.

pretty crazy dream, even without the rest.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:45:24 pm »

What do you think this means? Do you know how to swim, noodle?

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:38:49 am »

I've never bothered in any of my forts to train swimming for anyone.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:26:53 am »

My avatar.

But, seriously, thats a awesome dream, i never seem able to remember my dreams when i wake up.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:20:13 am »

To be fair, its not really the actual events of the dream that I remember, but the emotions.
For the ending of my dream, all I could really recall was just a feeling of hopelessness and being trapped in a damp and dimly lit area.
I just simply translated these feelings into a rational explanation.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:07 am »

This one time I had like, a 30 second dream. All it was was me in the mirror but I had Jafar eyebrows.

Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:31:27 am »

Had a dream about me manning a ballista and mowing down goblins with shot after shot in a tight corridor. Can't remember the rest, except there was a goat and a giant cave spider involved.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 06:52:19 am »

Toady needs to implement this rain !
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 10:16:27 am »

Just had myself a crazy dream... may have been slightly induced by my playing the entire series of Elfen Lied while I slept, but I digress. It had a very dwarfy feel to it nonetheless.  It was full 3D, real life people, places (possibly), and some outlandish plotline that I am struggling to remember. The diluted plot of it was as follows.

I am runnin' around with a friend of mine trying to find a place. This place was, appropriately named, The Circus (or something to that effect), and we were being chased by people. I saw several people that I know from real life, including several past roommates, whom I stole from vast amounts of weapons and various other sundries, as well as cash.  There were lots of stairwells which gave the dream a very claustrophobic feel. The children all had guns, and I had to steal several of those as well. The guns, not the children.  They wanted to know where we were going, and I would proceed to tell them about The Circus, and the horrors that live within. They doubted that I would get anywhere near it and survive...but you see, that's why I had so many guns and needed more! The Circus was across town. It couldn't really be down under everything since it the setting was a city akin to where I live...sorta rural, with some large patches of industry and commercial development. So, it was across town and I had to get to it. Everything felt rushed and shoddily done, but there was no time to fix anything to make it all right in my head. The dream ended right as I caught sight of The Circus, though... so I don't know if we made it or not, or if we survived entering it.

It seemed like a really odd dream to me. I have never actually gotten down to The Circus in DF before, but the tales of its denizens make it sound pretty horrifying.

Hope you enjoyed my really poor explanation of my screwed up dream :D

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: [1] 2