Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diagnose Patient...  (Read 870 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diagnose Patient...
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »

Patient, a swords dwarf in the mysterious "Special Defense Squadron" that the old expedition leader created in secret, complains of missing right foot brought about by Forgotten Beast down in the lowest caverns. Appears faint and tired, slightly delirious, muttering on about "all the blood, all around me, what can I do?" Most serious issue appears to be a total lack of pulse and the body temperature of a stone. The expedition leader came down, said not to worry about it, but I'm a doctor. I should worry that my patient appears dead, shouldn't I? Well, the wound isn't bleeding, and it doesn't appear infected. Guess all I can do is give this poor soldier a crutch.

Oddly, the patient appears neither dehydrated nor hungry, but she keeps asking if I have any annoying acquaintances, I wonder why?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Diagnose Patient...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

Tell her about Urist McSoapmaker, he's such a jerk.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:38:19 pm »

Patient has run off after receiving a crutch. She refuses to go back to her isolated barracks with her commander, who is a bit of an odd bird herself. Says she needs to visit an old friend, which is odd, as she claimed not to know anyone when she arrived here, if I recall from the elaborate interviews the expedition leader had me conduct with all incoming migrants.

Hmm, she ran straight to Urvad Iliralath's room. He's married, I wonder what's going on? An affair, perhaps? Urvad looks like he's sleeping, but it could be a ruse of some kind. Well, their eldest child is hanging around the porch with the door open, so maybe she's just going to wait around for him to wake up...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:08 pm »

It just gets stranger. The mayor appears to be in on this whole thing too. He just sent the guards down to "Have a nice friendly chat with their fellow soldier, and remind her how things work around here." But he won't tell me anything. I'm the chief medical dwarf! I shouldn't be kept in the dark. This reminds me of that case last year, that shearer, the bachelor fellow who got assigned to the Cavern Gate Warren and ended up dead a month later. In his quarters, drained of blood. They said it was crundles. Now I'm not so sure...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:18 pm »

Vampires. I should have known. How could they have thought to keep this a secret? Well, it's not a secret anymore! She's feeding on poor Urvad as I write this! At least the guards had the decency to usher the child out of the room, but they are all just standing around as this... creature feeds on poor Urvist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »

nice storytelling  :)

what an interesting way to catch a vampire, you probably wouldn't have figured it out for a while if not for that guy losing his foot.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

Well, I knew all along, that's what those "extensive interviews" were for. That's why she got assigned to the Special Defense Squadron in the first place, and why she was down in the caverns fighting Forgotten Beasts. Her commander is also a vampire, though she isn't "out" as one in game terms.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:14:56 pm »

just wait till toady makes vampires EVEN MORE subtle...