Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WTF Moment - Need Advice  (Read 5018 times)

Tabernackle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
WTF Moment - Need Advice
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:39 pm »

Finally mustering up enough focus to learn how to play, I picked DF up after a long hiatus. Now returning as a nub of sorts I've run into a few WTF's and need some forum assistance:

1. Ive got a vampire problem and cant quite figure out who it is
2. I noticed my fisherman (Catten Ugoshmdtob) had a medical alert on him, this leads to two questions:
       a. He is bleeding heavily and his arm is pale... but instead of getting fixed up, he is hauling refuse, how do i get him to the hospital?
       b. While viewing him, I noticed he had some kills, curious as to what he killed, I was suprised to see he had no less that EIGHTY-SIX kills of monsters from some far off marsh... WTF?!?!?
3. Just for clarification can someone explain the garbage and refuse system?
4. Can someone explain how to make a well that wont freeze over? I cant seem to get that right.... Lost an early attempt at a fortress that way... aquifers...
5. More to come...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:32:00 pm by Tabernackle »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Moment - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »

1. Lucky bastard, usually I always find my vampires.
2. If he is hauling stuff he is ok.
4. It must be underground to be liquid during winter.
3. There's no system :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:05:58 pm »

1. Kill everyone, or kill no one.
2. Should be fine. Wait for him to rest injuries at the hospital or get hauled there when he falls asleep.
3. Anything marked for dumping is treated as refuse, and gets dumped in a garbage zone.
4. Any tile exposed to the outside will be treated as outside forever. Make a completely indoor water source.
5. BUWBURBUBUBURBWU

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:12:20 pm »

Your maimed fisherman might be a pretty good suspect for your vampire case, given all those kills. Keep an eye on him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »

Your maimed fisherman might be a pretty good suspect for your vampire case, given all those kills. Keep an eye on him.

Nope. Vampires are useless buggers that only kill their own kind. This is a hero, true and true :P

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

1. It's usually the guy that accuses everyone. And if you have plenty of booze and someone has gone without a drink for far too long, it may be him.
2. His arm is pale...? You mean grey and... gone?
Did he get injured lately and treated? Check his medical history. If he's bleeding heavily all the time he won't last long. I fear that he's got an infection, that can make dwarves more and more pale until they die. Check his disease resistance in his description.
b. He probably lived as a hunter before immigrating to your fortress.
3. You make a garbage zone. Everything selected for dumping will be hauled there and not used until you claim it again. It's usually used to deal with all the stone left behind from mining.
4. As others said it, the water must be underground, indoors. Or simply embark on a warm site, water won't freeze there.

Tabernackle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

Thanks guys, and I'm thinking of building a shrine to Catten, he's kind of amazing really.
And if anyone knows of a good tutorial, or can direct me on how to use a military, im have trouble making the little dorf buggers listen.

Also, wtf do I do with the 20 or so captures goblins i have?

Oh, another weird thing... apparently 3 or so dorfs decided to climb up on my wall... idk how... and die there...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:28:50 pm by Tabernackle »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »

Thanks guys, and I'm thinking of building a shrine to Catten, he's kind of amazing really.
And if anyone knows of a good tutorial, or can direct me on how to use a military, im have trouble making the little dorf buggers listen.

Also, wtf do I do with the 20 or so captures goblins i have?

Dump them into a pit, a barracks, a pit filled with magma, a pit filled with spikes...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tabernackle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:18 pm »

Any way to make money out of them?

Tabernackle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »

It looks like Catten "Hollowblockades" may have an infected arm :c
Though I think he'll recover: he is wearing a honey badger amulet and ring. And honey badgers dont give a f***

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:57:48 pm »

Oh, another weird thing... apparently 3 or so dorfs decided to climb up on my wall... idk how... and die there...

Yeah, they kinda like to do that. When you get a job cancellation spam about dwarves not being able to give water to the thirsty, suspect that they climbed the walls somehow. Find them and quickly deconstruct the wall.

It looks like Catten "Hollowblockades" may have an infected arm :c
Though I think he'll recover: he is wearing a honey badger amulet and ring. And honey badgers dont give a f***
That's what I was afraid of... There's nothing you can do but wait now. Well, let's hope Catten is not susceptible to disease, as that will help his chances with the infection. Also, monster hunters usually wear jewelery made from their trophies, that probably explains his numerous kills.

Tabernackle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:02:29 pm »

Oh man, so much fun, as Im building a new trade post that will allow me to isolate the main fortress an ambush comes into my base killing most of my military, 30 random dorfs assigned to military manage to fend them off.... blood everywhere... at least soem traders came, so i can get bandages... time to bury the dead... NOO CATTEN DIED.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:13:47 pm »

Refuse stockpiles will accept corpses and skins and stuff like that; haulers with Refuse Hauling will pick up garbage NOT marked for dumping and take it to an accepting refuse stockpile. Items disposed of in this fashion will not be forbidden. Like all stockpiles, you can customize, so you can make a butcherable-corpses-and-body-parts-only stockpile near your butcher shop.
For dumping, you designate an activity zone and mark it as a Dump; unforbidden items marked for Dumping (k -> d or d-b-d for mass designation) will be taken by someone with Refuse Hauling (same labor) enabled and take it to an active dump zone, where they will drop the item AND set it to forbidden. Additionally, if the dump is right next to a drop of any side, they will throw it over the edge; designating a garbage dump right next to a drop into magma can thus be used to permanently dispose of rubbish. HOWEVER, this means if you have multiple garbage zones for different purposes, you will need to be careful! I often have a magma incinerator AND I use directed dumping to move high-value items near workshops for moods. When a mood strikes, I deactivate the incinerator garbage dump and place a new dump on top of the stockpile, then dump valuable gems or bones or ores or whatever the dorf wants for his artifact; afterwards, I disable/delete that dump and reactivate the incinerator. If you don't remember what you're doing, though, this could result in a rotting carcass being dumped on the workshop instead of the incinerator and stinking up the place (or worse on an evil biome) and all your valuable ores being thrown into the incinerator.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 09:19:52 pm »

I think they get up on top of walls when they dodge, sometimes.  At least, I saw one suddenly appear on top of a wall where I had found others when he had just dodged an attack by a raven at my depot.

Unless it is supposed to be happening, which would be strange in my estimation, my guess is that the game is dodging them to one side of the attacker which in this case is flying one square up.  But that is just a tired guess at the end of a long day.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Tabernackle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »

So, i accidently offered all my items for trade instead of trading for the cloth i need for my hospital... So say I trapped the caravan in my wall, and somehow all the goblins got loose and managed to kill the caravan. what would be the end result?
Pages: [1] 2