Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: protected wilds  (Read 1445 times)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
protected wilds
« on: October 19, 2006, 05:47:00 pm »

Someone told me that the elves will get pissy if you cut too many trees on these maps. Is this true? Is there anything else I should know about these maps before I embark too far on my new fortress?

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: protected wilds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »

Yes they do and if you have any other questions go to the wiki and search first, I dont mind them but the wiki is faster.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page
acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arawak:
<STRONG>Yes they do and if you have any other questions go to the wiki and search first,
I dont mind them but the wiki is faster.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page</STRONG>

Edit: they also get ancy when you trade them totems and anything wood.

oops clicked quote instead of edit ignore this one,

(ill get used to the tabs eventually)

[ October 19, 2006: Message edited by: Arawak ]

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:35:00 pm »

By the way, I can't seem to find anything on the wiki that explains "Protected Wilds" or "Serene" or "Haunted", and the like. Am I just not seeing it?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »

actually, i searched and didnt see anything at all about protected wilds on the wiki.  the word "protected" only shows up on one page about the military.  I too would like some sort of break down for what to expect on various maps.

I only have the vaguest idea of what the differences are between Haunted, Terrifying, and.. and.. the other darker-purple one.  And I only learned that through experimentation.

maybe a matrix of what flora and fauna appear in different climate and wilderness types.  I couldnt determine specifics from the text files, as Biomes dont exactly match DF mode climate types.

But to more helpfully answer the post, the wiki suggests that elves will get pissed at you if you cut down trees on ANY map.  I think "protected wilds" just hints at what type of creatures you might run into there. rougher than "calm" but safer than "wilderness"

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 07:57:00 pm »

Yes, I always search the wiki before even thinking about asking a question. No mention of protected wilds there that I was able to find in my searching

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »

I had thought that the elves would make their demands clear if they wanted the resident dwarves (your newly created fortress) to slow down on cutting down their 'precious'es. I haven't actually run into this yet, but from what I remember of others describing their treaty agreement with the elves, they knew just how much they could cut.

So I'm assuming that until you meet up with them (and possibly even up until you start trade agreements or better, diplomatic treaties), you are free to procure your wood in any way necessary.

Although I would suggest trying to stockpile more than what you would normally keep in your fortress.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:32:00 pm »

I just had a caravan from the elves, my second elven visit ever.  They didn't complain the last time, but went right to "we expected as much from your stunted kind" this time.

Of course, I've already chopped down almost 1000 trees.  Let's see if I can make it 2000.  "Stunted kind" this, large-ass.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »

they'll change their tone when you flood the entire outside forest with lava.  there tone will sound much more like "EEEEeeeeK---sizzzle."