Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finding a vampire  (Read 2053 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Finding a vampire
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:10:00 am »

There was a vampire in my current fort, so I checked the unit list to find someone suspicious. A Beekeeper, whose relationship list was huge and most of them werer not currently in my fort, including her husband, children and parents. But she also had some relatives in the fort, so I was not quite sure.

I assigned her a burrow and prepared to lock her up. At this point, I found a thirsty tag appeared on her. Since I was told if one is thirsty or hungry, he/she must not be a vampire. Then I checked her age, and found she was 120 years old, that explained why she had such a long list of nephews. :o

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a vampire
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:17:07 am »

Wait, was the "thirsty" tag red or blue?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:04 am »

It's blue.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

Oh. Nevermind then. Carry on.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:35:49 am »

Skills and kill list are a good way to check, I have a jeweler vampire in my fort and she stuck out like a store thumb(I was suspicious the minute she arrived) with her huge list of skills and the killing of a demon and two dwarfs.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:19 am »

Foolproof vampire filtration system: Lock all migrants in flooding chamber. Anyone who lives is a vampire and therefore fit to join your defence force.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:10 am »

Skills and kill list are a good way to check, I have a jeweler vampire in my fort and she stuck out like a store thumb(I was suspicious the minute she arrived) with her huge list of skills and the killing of a demon and two dwarfs.

Thank you for the tip.
BTW, I checked all the 56 citizens and didn't found an evidence who's the vampire.

So I checked the kill list and found a trader killed a dwarf and the victim was one of my ranger. So is it safe to say he's the vampire?
Also I checked his relationship list, and found he doesn't have a single relative, instead, he worships two deities and is holding grudge to one of my herbalist.

Edit*

Unfortunately, he got thirsty too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:58:36 am by utunnels »

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »

Toady seems to have done a good job at hiding them now, i get plenty of migrants with massive/tiny relationship lists, long previous member lists, large kill lists and high skills.

We already know they work slower without alcohol... I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in the ability for them to "feign" thirst as well ;)

rampagingfrodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:32:05 pm »

I found an interesting trick using Dwarf Therapist.

Vampires in the game disguise their true names so they might show up in your fort as Shorast Something, but Dwarf Therapist reads their name from a different index and displays their true name. If you use Therapist and there's a name that isn't in your unit list that dwarf is likely a vampire, or maybe a lycanthrope (haven't tested lycanthropy yet.)

Also, the alcohol dependence string with vampires is often different than a regular dwarf saying "This creatures requires alcohol to get through the day"  but adding on "And could really use a drink" or something of that nature since, as a vampire, they just don't drink. If they have this string in their thoughts and preferences and are not flashing the thirsty blue arrow then they're likely a vampire.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:38:39 pm »

Actually I believe Therapist has updated to accommodate vampires, but there's one branch version of DT that has a "curse" flag that will expose any weres or vamps.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:39:58 pm »

I set civilian alert and waited for a long enough time and almost everyone started to get hungry and thirsty.
I noticed several dwarves didn't get thirsty nor hungry, so I canceled the alert and burrowed those dwarves until I found the real vampire. She was a 89 years old trader.

Kohmelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:12:30 pm »

Found one way to find vampires. Slabs!
Give drained dwarf a slab and it will tell you Killers/vampires real name, real name of course is not the same as the name you'll see when you check dwarf with "V"
BUT
If you have given nickname to possible vampire it will show that nickname on victims slab as killer...

Was quite astoundet when I was reading slab "Murdered by 'Elf Lover' Thot" thinking that I don't have any thot by I just nicked some one Elf Lover

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:00 pm »

What I've done is check through the list of dwarves who are drinking/eating/sleeping, and somehow marked all of them as definitely safe (e.g., a nickname of "mortal"). Keep doing that, and eventually you'll narrow it down - and it feels more honest than just using DwarfTherapist as a hack. Although, to be fair, I did use DT in order to more easily get the list of un-nicknamed dwarves who were tending to their biological needs.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 03:13:14 am »

I find it easy to find the vampires--- but it is tedious.

I nickname my founders "Founder (profession)". When migrants come in, any migrant that sleeps, eats, or drinks (has thoughts about the sleep conditions, food quality, or drink quality when I check their thoughts) gets nicknamed "NV" (for "Not Vampire"). This lets me quickly look through my units, and check on them. When I am suspicious of a vampire, I'll nickname them "Suspicious", and those that start off suspicious due to skills, kills, relationships at the start of their migration wave, I nickname "Check me out".

Once I locate a vampire, I nickname them "Leech" and lock them in a room. The reason for that is if I have to swap alert levels, they'll be free to walk around with the others and then they'll feed. So I give them their own little room, and then lock them in. I will create new quaranteen rooms for very suspicious dwarves if they haven't eaten or slept after a while of arriving. If they get hungry and thirst and sleep in the dirt then they get promoted to family NV and let out. If they don't get hungry, they go to clan Leech, and get stationed with the others.

It is too bad I can't feed my vampires barrels of blood. I find them useful to control rooms, since they never sleep, and will quite happily talk to each other until the end of time when I don't have them flipping a lever.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 03:18:59 am »

I don't know if this is true of all vampires, but the two I've caught have been worshippers of the god that cursed them (under a different name), and were one of the relatively few worshippers of that god. I usually use (lack of) worship-of-curse-happy-gods as one of the criteria for ruling out vampirism since then.
Pages: [1] 2