Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Speeding up the game, not the framerate.  (Read 8251 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding up the game, not the framerate.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 07:07:22 pm »

I personally feel this would take away too much, because dog leather is no where near as tough as rhino leather or dragon leather.  For this example I think different levels of leather should be introduced to respect the toughness of stronger creatures.  Levels such as "thin" leather, "normal" leather, "thick" leather, "extra thick" leather, etc., etc., .
I realize this is probably way too much work, but I thought I would share my view.

Did you check the raws and saw a difference in the skin of dogs and rhino ? Or a dragon  ? Because there is none. In vanilla all leathers are the same, they just have different names. Also: The end product you get is also not necessarily related to the material, but the reaction class. My creatures have different skin types, and you have an entire leather upgrade system in the mod. Cut leather into suede to get 3 thinner stripes, boil in leather, stud with bone, make lamellar, many options. The monsters have 7 different skin/scale/chitin types to reflect how strong they are.

That's unfortunate and make sense why you modding the game.  I don't understand why Toady created so many different types of leather when the only difference is a money value.  Perhaps he's planning to provide more game depth with leather and other items in the future.  It's a little sad knowing dog leather is the same as dragon leather.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:54:35 am by NTJedi »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding up the game, not the framerate.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 08:18:23 pm »

That's unfortunate and make sense why you modding the game.  I don't understand why Toady created so many different types of leather when the only difference is a money value.  Perhaps he's planning to provide more game depth with leather and other items in the future.  It's a little sad dog leather is the same as dragon leather.

There are a lot of RAW values like that, such as densities or melting points of various types of rock.
Pages: 1 2 [3]