Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reliable way to get a glitched embark?  (Read 1182 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Reliable way to get a glitched embark?
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »

I'm in the mood for... interesting map features. Adamantine spires would be nice I suppose, but far from the only option. I remember one map I had, hell shot allll the way up to the first cavern on the north half of the map. Fun times.

My usual method (large embark with really varied heights + volcano or river cutting through things) has only provided me with extremely uneven semi molten rock layers. Square sections jutting down further into hell than others, and stuff like that. 

I'm guessing Toady squishes these bugs when they get known so I won't be too disappointed if there aren't any reliable ways floating around.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Reliable way to get a glitched embark?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »

Make rediculously large parameters. Expect rejected region spam :p

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:44 pm »

duplicate raws?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:48:57 pm »

Screw with the worldgen settings.

Upping volcanism and making shallow maps has given me some buggy maps.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »

Dupticate raws, you can play as cat eating were iguanas :D
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:39:11 pm »

Raws duping! Once I embarked and my dwarfs were bodyless sea monsters, They died 1 click after un pausing.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »

Hrm, making the height variation wacky succeeded in doing two things:

1) Get me a bunch of sheer cliff faces. Fun if I ever want to carve a castle or statue and still have it be ground level.
2) Crash the game when the location finder hovers over an area with too high of height.

10 different worlds and like 30 embarks, and no semi-molten rock caverns or anything like that yet.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:18:21 pm »

I vote that if someone generates a really awesome / glitched world (like hell on the surface) they should post it here and share ;D

In 40d I once had an embark that was completely flat, but in the exact center was a steep, steep stone pillar, with magma inside.  It was a magma pipe, but it rose like 20 z levels above the surface.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:45:25 am »

I used to have "good luck" with this by...
1)  Genning a world.
2)  Looking around for an embark site.  (Maybe even settle and abandon, I can't remember.)
3)  *Delete the region1 folder but leave the current folder*
4)  Gen a new world.

However, I think the corruption from having a mismatched current folder was fixed, IIRC.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »

I vote that if someone generates a really awesome / glitched world (like hell on the surface) they should post it here and share ;D

In 40d I once had an embark that was completely flat, but in the exact center was a steep, steep stone pillar, with magma inside.  It was a magma pipe, but it rose like 20 z levels above the surface.

So a volcano in the plains? Yeah, those are fairly common, if you know how to tweak the worldgen settings.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

If you gen a world where Hell is on the surface, would it be possible for a Kobold to steal the upright weapon sealing a demonic fortress?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.