Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mod Idea: Diseases/Plagues - Brainstorming  (Read 2294 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Mod Idea: Diseases/Plagues - Brainstorming
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:16 pm »

Imagine a new curse. This curse gives a random cursed person in worldgen an interaction. This interaction can target 2-3 targets of the same civ, then stops to work. The interaction give a syndrome, like fever, and give the ability to do the interaction as well.

Dwarf1 has fever. Infects dwarf 2 and 3 with fever. Dwarf 2 and 3 infect dwarf 4-7 with fever.

Then, after a certain time has passed, another syndrome actives in dwarf1. (by time delay) He can now do a similar interaction, just with a different syndrome attached. Vomit blood.

Then, after an even longer time, he unlocks another one, with necrosis. People start to die.

In this way modders could simulate sicknesses. A migrant arrives in your fortress, having this curse. He infects people with fever, no big problem. The player notices the fever epidemic, and starts a quarantine. After the sickness slows down/runs it natural course he can free the quarantined dwarves again. Many different sicknesses can be done, no limits. The flu ? The black death ? perpetual blindess that leaves a fortress of blind albino dwarves ? Magic hickups that turns people into sheep for a few ticks every now and then ? Mutations, making people stupid, but strong ? 28-days later rage-virus, zombiefications, hair and beard-loss ? All possible.

The major problem is balancing. I dont know how a medicine could be made, maybe by a boiling stone reaction that adds a creature class to people ? (possible?) Or a long lasting syndrome that adds resistance against the syndromes in the interaction ? "immunize dwarf against the flu" for example. I havent quite looked deep into it.

I hope this peaks some interested and several people will help, since I have no clue how complex/difficult this will get. I imagine it will be massive in the end. It would add much fun and complexity to the game, an entire new medical industry and could be added on its own to any game/mod out there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:24:14 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Idea: Diseases/Plagues - Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:32:41 pm »

You wouldn't be able to limit the number of potential carriers/victims in a civ, sadly, but everything else sounds doable.
Give me a minute or one-hundred-twenty and I'll type something up.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:39:05 pm »

But I can limit time. If the "infective" interaction is only added for 1000 ticks, and the waiting period between usage is 4000, then the dwarf can do it once, do it twice and no more. I foresee one problem though: Migrant arrives, all in one spot, all infect each other. Might have to delay the start, so that the cursed dwarf "sneezes" "coughes" or "falls down in a spam" the first time after a month or two. Ah.. fun :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »

a [TRAILING_GAS_FLOW] emission might be well suited for this, or [UNDIRECTED_GAS] if you want to go for broke.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:27:23 pm »

Well, another issue would be world gen.

By the time the cursed dwarf even reaches your fort, they might not be able to utilize the syndrome anymore.

My suggestion would be to have the secret provide them with the ability to perform itself recursively as a CLEAN_ALLY with TOUCH range, and also a syndrome that starts with a fever, and then slowly progresses.

Basically...

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:PLAGUE]
[I_SOURCE:DEITY]
[IS_USAGE_HINT:MAJOR_CURSE]
[IS_HIST_STRING_1: cursed ]
[IS_HIST_STRING_2: with a pox.]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:HAS_BLOOD]
[IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING]
[IT_FORBIDDEN:SUPERNATURAL]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Plague Ridden]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:3600:END:201600]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Infect]
[CDI:INTERACTION:PLAGUE]
[CDI:TARGET:A:TOUCHABLE]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:1]
[CDI:VERB:cough:coughs:NA]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]
[CE_FEVER:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:10:PEAK:3600:END:14400]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:3600:PEAK:14400:END:134400]
[CE_COUGH_BLOOD:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:4800:PEAK:60000:END:134400]
[CE_FEVER:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:14401:PEAK:15800:END:134400]

The only issue, is that I don't know if an interaction can grant itself recursively. You may need to give them a CAN_DO_INTERACTION:PLAGUE_SPREAD

Note that you'd basically have 3 seasons after world gen to have them arrive at the fort, otherwise they couldn't infect anyone.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:29:53 pm by thatkid »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »

You need an I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION for that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »

@nihilist: No no no... I wont use material breath attacks or anything, but a direct interaction. Dwarf1 sneezes, dwarf2 (maybe distance max3?) is infected. No breathing in.

@thatkid: I use a similar system for transforming migrants. It works fine, they dont use the interaction they have in worldgen. They arrive as migrants, use it for the first time, then get the syndrome. This shouldnt be a problem. But I dont use curses, but a rare dwarvesn caste for this. (problem is those get born occasionally, but very rare. Just had a pentagram painting baby in a report I got)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:47:45 pm »

You need an I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION for that.
Ah, right.

Slap that in, and it'd work fine.
If you really wanted to, you could give the [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:PLAGUE:START:10] no end, so that once they're a carrier they're always a carrier...like with chicken pox, I guess.

The strongest will survive the disease, the rest will die.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:31 pm »

I guess it would be quite easy to make one disease that just runs its course, and in the end will affect every dwarf once. After he got, he cant be affects again. Not for some time at least.

Syndrome would be resistable, and the dwarves with higher disease resistance are good, while other might get more damaging effects. I am ok with that, make it really rare, and a disease will be a real threat. The problem is that there is no countermeasure for it. I'd like people to be able to act against it. This is the tricky part. Any ideas on that ? A immunity reaction, or a "cure" overriding the active syndrome ?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:02:21 pm »

This will require testing.

Make two interactions. One cannot effect creatures of CREATURE_CLASS:TEST and is highly visible.
The other gives a creature the TEST class.

Create a bunch of creatures who are GENERAL_POISON. Infect half with INTERACTION A, infect half with INTERACTION B.
Attempt to infect B group. Check to see if they've been effected. (They shouldn't be, they're control). Attempt to infect A group. See if they're cured.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »

[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:300:0:START:15000:PEAK:150000]? Greatly increases resistance chance. might fit the niche.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 12:12:15 am »

Thanks for all the ideas. Disease resistance could be made higher for a while, lets say 2 seasons, till the epidemic dies down. Although it would be one solution for all sicknesses. But hey, still works :)

The problem with testing is that I cant tell how it affects a big fortress. Only 7 embark dwarves, thats it... I cant really play a long game for one test, then start again.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:50:42 am »

The problem with testing is that I cant tell how it affects a big fortress. Only 7 embark dwarves, thats it... I cant really play a long game for one test, then start again.
Are any of the tools for editing the number of dwarves on embark available? Could help.

Can you not add new interactions after world-gen? I've not experimented with them much yet.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:28 am »

There is no way to make a specific syndrome go away. Player could conduct prophylactic immunization against flu. As for treatment I guess it is only possible to soften syndromes by making dwarves temporally immune to any other disease as well.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 01:52:29 pm »

I think I will just add 3 minor things than. One sickness causing sleepyness (slowing down the fort for some time), another one making people vomit (for the nice green decoration) and one dangerous one that might lead to some dead dwarves. 5%-10% or so. Then add it to my mod, upload it, see 1000 people download it, and wait for the reports/feedback/complaints.
Pages: [1] 2