Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FBs are nerfed?  (Read 2286 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
FBs are nerfed?
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:54 pm »

I just read on the General Discussion board that FBs have been nerfed. I haven't played against any yet so I wouldn't know. Did Toady really do that?!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: FBs are nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:12:01 pm »

Define "nerfed" because I've observed them buffed.  They now properly web and everything.

Though now I'm curious, please tell me what changed to nerf them.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:46 pm »

I agree with Girlinhat, show the bay watchers why you speculate this.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »

The interpretation I make of this is

A gross misusage of the word 'nerf' if that is the actual reason that statement was made.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:25:43 pm »

A gross misusage of the word 'nerf' if that is the actual reason that statement was made.
-.-
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:29:51 pm »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:30 pm »

-.-
Yes exactly.

Btw girlinhat, your link isn't working.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »

FB's are very random.

Sometimes you get an FB that can be slain by a kitten, othertimes you get FB's made out of solid stone that constantly spew facemelting gas.

An FB isn't very hard to kill if you prepare a proper trap for them, and this same trap also works well against the underworld invaders. I'd be honestly surprised if anything could survive my FB death machine.

Its kind of boring actually. :(

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »

Traps of all sorts are extremely overpowered. Hopefully this will change as the military functions at optimum levels.

Or Toady can just make us get attacked by a horde of dragons + some titans + a dozen FBs from below. Hehe.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »

Or Toady can just make us get attacked by a horde of dragons + some titans + a dozen FBs from below. Hehe.
Nah, Toady doesn't need to do that - we can make that happen ourselves. Toady's time is better spent introducing new stuff (read: modding tools).

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 02:42:47 pm »

Btw girlinhat, your link isn't working.

Funnyjunk has that problem a lot, you have to just link to the page. It seems to have something to do with the images being local, for as long as the person has seen it before they can access it, otherwise it doesn't work, (possibly?) who knows.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:05 pm »

It's cool, I found a more relevant picture anyways:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/CLUTCH_ONE/Fail_forecast.jpg

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »

Simple weapon traps won't do. You need to be more creative with spike traps, siege engines, crossbow positions, and magma purification devices along with a failsafe crushing mechanism.

The key is to use a piece of artifact furniture as bait. Building destroyers will stick to it, trying forever yet failing to destroy it, since artifacts cannot be harmed. This lets you position them wherever you want.

So, position them with siege engines pointing at them, with an overlook for crossbows to fire at them. Steel spikes surrounding the bait linked to a lever to impale them. Magma to cleanse the entire chamber of any toxic contaminants, and if you get a creature that is entirely immune to everything, pull the failsafe lever and drop the ceiling on it. Crushing will kill anything.

Then put the whole thing into an airlock between two drawbridges.

Leave the outer door open but the inner door closed, and you can kill the FB's every once in a while when they start to pile up too much.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:30 pm »

Nah, Toady doesn't need to do that - we can make that happen ourselves. Toady's time is better spent introducing new stuff (read: modding tools).
True true. And bug fixing..ahem.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:48:40 pm »

Players can already mod in cave dragons to breed fire and come on the map in clusters of 20-30 if they wanted.  I think Toady's time is better spent on new tools and features, and let modders hash out how to utilize those new tags.
Pages: [1] 2