Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ABS: Advanced Bone Structure (Breaking Kneescaps is FUN)  (Read 7245 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
ABS: Advanced Bone Structure (Breaking Kneescaps is FUN)
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:09 pm »

EDIT:
As of DF 34.07 Limbs and Joints now respect STRUCTUAL tissues, thus ABS is almost redundant and unneeded.
I say almost because some creatures you make you might wish to make limb like bodyparts, but leave out the 'grapple' function.
All depends on what you make.

I have decided to share how I made breaking joints and bones in limbs to respect RL pain/function/and Phycological crippling.

By this I mean if someone breaks their upperarm bone or their elbow, they are not very excited about using that limb until that bone is healed

So to create this effect you will need to alter
"b_detail_plan_default.txt" and "body_default.txt"

1.you will also need to alter the bone tissue template (note doing this may cause spinal bone from crippling/suffocating the creature if damaged)
or
2.add a new bone tissue template (this will give some more direct control over what willl give cripple effect)

Ok now into the nitty gritty:

1. first thing to do is open up: "body_default.txt"

2. Add [NERVOUS] to all BP's that are GRASP,STANCE,ARM,ARM_UPPER,ARM_LOWER,LEG,LEG_LOWER,LEG_UPPER,JOINT
^^^Basically add [NERVOUS] to all Body parts that are a LIMB and a JOINT^^^
NOTE: you acually dont need to add [NERVOUS] to GRASP and STANCE body parts due to the fact that once those bodyparts have all their STRUCTUAL tissues broken they lose function

3. Open "tissue_template_default.txt" and 1 of 2 can be done.
3.1 Add [FUNCTIONAL] to the "BONE_TEMPLATE" which might have a weird effect of killing the creature from a broken spine bone (or could make it require the NERVOUS and BONE tissues to be damaged)
3.2 Copy "BONE_TEMPLATE" and call it "BONEF_TEMPLATE" and simply add [FUNCTIONAL] to it.

NOTE if you did 3.2 continue with the rest of the steps, if you did 3.1 then you have just made every living creature have an ABS

4.2 Open "b_detail_plan_default.txt"
5.2 goto "STANDARD_TISSUES" and add [ADD_TISSUE:BONEF:BONEF_TEMPLATE] to the bottem
6.2 goto "VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS" and change all ARG4 on the LIMB/JOINT categories to BONEF

You have now added ABS to all living organic creatures  and will now suffer from broken bones and severed nerves for cripplings

How does this work?

I guess I will have to explain how all these tags and tissues work then. Ok then:

Now if a Bodypart has a [THOUGHT]/[NERVOUS]/[SIGHT]/etc.. tag on it, then that BP now performs that given function (thus the need of FUNCTIONAL tissues)
Also GRASP and STANCE bodyparts respect STRUCTUAL tissues instead of FUNCTIONAL tissues.

ok now for a deeper detail on how Bodyparts and Tissues work together to simulate RL I Will use a BRAIN and SPINE as an example

BRAIN has the [THOUGHT] tag thus without it the creature would simply die, and since the BRAIN is made from one material/tissue getting hit will basically end the creature's life.
Spoiler: Brain Tissue (click to show/hide)

SPINE has [NERVOUS] which gives it power over all "Children" bodyparts (lower spine controls the Lower Body and anything connected to it.)
Now the SPINE is made from two tissues NERVE and BONE, in which the NERVE tissue is the important factor in this only because of the fact NERVE is a FUNCTIONAL tissue.
And since BONE is not FUNCTIONAL (by default, not by the means of ABS 3.1) even if it is broken or damaged the SPINE will continue to work just as long as the NERVE tissue is undamaged.

So with this Body Parts that have a "function" like THOUGHT, SIGHT, NERVOUS, SMELL, etc... Can be stopped by damaging the FUNCTIONAL tissues they have/made up of

Examples of how this works goes as this:
Dwarf1 punches Elf1 in the upper arm shattering the bone, Elf1 loses hold of the iron short sword

ABS adds a sense of Realism to DF getting rid of the vanilla "My arm is broken but I can still swing my sword 'cause my hand is perfectly fine"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:43:00 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ABS: Advanced Bone Structure (Breaking Kneescaps is FUN)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »

Amazing, I read about this a long time ago when I started here, and did not realize how you did it. I think this, together with the Brainstem project will be a great addition.

I'd leave this part out though, since it has nothing to do with your ABS ;)
So what happens if you make a BRAIN that does not have a FUNCTIONAL tissue?
If you do that the BRAIN will simply do it's job no matter what, even if the tissue it is made up of is damaged. Due to the fact the BRAIN now is a "functional" bodypart that has no reliable tissue, in essence it works like the ear does (it is the shape that captures sounds allowing us to hear, now now this is only half for RL, but in Dwarf Fortress it is true)

So a BRAIN lacking a FUNCTIONAL tissue will work until it is removed (but since it is INTERNAL that is impossible)

EDIT: You are a genius, it works like a champ. You might add some examples to your post though. If dwarf1 has a broken arm, he cant use hand, loses hold of shield, cant block anymore. Something like that. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:50:17 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »

Amazing, I read about this a long time ago when I started here, and did not realize how you did it. I think this, together with the Brainstem project will be a great addition.

I'd leave this part out though, since it has nothing to do with your ABS ;)
So what happens if you make a BRAIN that does not have a FUNCTIONAL tissue?
If you do that the BRAIN will simply do it's job no matter what, even if the tissue it is made up of is damaged. Due to the fact the BRAIN now is a "functional" bodypart that has no reliable tissue, in essence it works like the ear does (it is the shape that captures sounds allowing us to hear, now now this is only half for RL, but in Dwarf Fortress it is true)

So a BRAIN lacking a FUNCTIONAL tissue will work until it is removed (but since it is INTERNAL that is impossible)

EDIT: You are a genius, it works like a champ. You might add some examples to your post though. If dwarf1 has a broken arm, he cant use hand, loses hold of shield, cant block anymore. Something like that.
The part you quoted was for those that might ask the question of "What if there are no functional tissues?" :P foresight, but yes I can alter the OP to remove that and add in examples (altho I explain it in the Regen thread very well ;) )

EDIT:
I'm surpised you never asked me how to do it before ;)

EDIT2:
Also curious did you use 3.1 or 3.2?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:27:50 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »

I'm glad you decided to post your technique for doing this. I've been curious about how you did it for a while, but never felt up to dissecting your mod to find out. Thanks!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:33:23 pm »

I tested both in the arena, did not notice a big difference to be honest. The only change you say is that broken spines kill in 3.1, and dont kill in 3.2, right ?

I havent added it to my mod yet, more testing first ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:38:24 pm »

@BFSH
You are very much welcome, And since this is now it's own thread. I am willing to farther explain how/why it works, or help out on how to do it if the OP doesn't explain it well enough (in which I will update the OP)

I might also create another thread on making 'realistic' inorganic creatures (machines that have wires that act like nerves, damaged gears hinder the machine, etc..)

@Meph
well with 3.1 is the fastest way of doing it :P but that means the SPINE bone also acts like the Nervous tissue, some people can survive a cracked vertabre can have it heal. I haven't got to test 3.1 cause I use 3.2 in Regen.

so with 3.1

I have no idea if both the BONE and NERVE tissues have to be damaged to cause FUNCTION loss (as I've never encountered or tried a BP that uses two FUNCTIONAL tissues)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »

This looks awesome, gonna use it for sure.

EDIT: Now the question is have you done anything akin to San diego's realistic tissues?

EDIT2: I'll test out 3.1 as well and see if I can figure anything factual about it.

EDIT3:After fucking the bone and nervous tissue up for the lower spine, which I'm sure wouldn't affect the lungs, the guy has lost ability to stand without any leg damage. It seems to me that it causes ALL things under it to suffer Heavy Bruising as well in the self health status screen.

EDIT4: After breaking both the bone and nervous tissue of the upper spine, all upper body parts again receive this heavy bruising and loss standing and grasp without damage to arms or legs. Technically this should link to all of the lower body though in terms of the damage it seems to cause towards it's section as the spine is a everything below type of thing. He also cannot breathe like you said it would cause but the thing is, isn't that realistic. The spine is broken into two parts where as the real spine is broken into 4 parts. Lower spine for legs, upper spine for arms/breathing, etc. This seems to me that the lower spine counts as the lumbar part of the spine which relates to leg control. The upper spine in the game seems to relate to the cervical nerves in the neck however, as those control the arms, and breathing. There's no use or need in game for attention to the Thoracic and Sacral nerves. Therefore proper damage to the upper spine, SHOULD cease the use of pretty much the entire body, and breathing, because it kills the diaphragm.

It does NOT straight out kill the dwarf if that's the issue you were thinking of. It causes him to eventually suffocate.

EDIT5: Okay apparently there's a middle spine part I wasn't aware of. Breaking just the bone of the middle spine, seemed to have caused all of the affects of damaging the upper spine. This makes no sense. Technically it should just kill the legs like the lower spine considering there's no use again for the Thoracic nerves, that's all the "middle" spine should technically be composed of. He can't stand, grasp, or breathe.

I think that's what you were looking for though, with 3.1 just the bone breaking causes nerve damage.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:34:02 pm by Vherid »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:29:52 pm »

@Vherid

So 3.1 causes failure of the lungs (and all child/connected Body Parts) if the spinal bone is damaged? or did you mean both the bone and nervous tissue must be damaged?

As for how the DF 3 levels of spine work, I have no idea how to restrict the control of spines unless you add a 'midsection' body and make another SPINE part, or just place UPPER SPINE in te upperbody instead of the neck, and simply have the neck bone have the NERVOUS property so breaking the neck or upperspine causes suffocation, and leaving the middle/lower spines to have control over the lower limbs and organs. And if a midsection is added, some organs can be placed properly? (I have some medical knowledge but not enough to make anything realistic)

My next project, between updating Regen (it's farily outdated as is). Is making a proper humanoid body (head is connected to the neck instead of neck connected to head :/ )

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »

@Vherid

So 3.1 causes failure of the lungs (and all child/connected Body Parts) if the spinal bone is damaged? or did you mean both the bone and nervous tissue must be damaged?

As for how the DF 3 levels of spine work, I have no idea how to restrict the control of spines unless you add a 'midsection' body and make another SPINE part, or just place UPPER SPINE in te upperbody instead of the neck, and simply have the neck bone have the NERVOUS property so breaking the neck or upperspine causes suffocation, and leaving the middle/lower spines to have control over the lower limbs and organs. And if a midsection is added, some organs can be placed properly? (I have some medical knowledge but not enough to make anything realistic)

My next project, between updating Regen (it's farily outdated as is). Is making a proper humanoid body (head is connected to the neck instead of neck connected to head :/ )

Yeah, 3.1 caused full spinal damage, IE loss of use for all limbs and breathing when just the bone of a upper body spine was broken.

The neck is already nervous. But basically I just named the "upper spine" that is NECK to neck, and deleted the middle spine so it's just neck and lower spine, because those are the only two that actually have comparative parts to affect in game. The neck is upper body and diaphragm, the lumbar is legs. Between the lumbar and neck is chest muscles, which is not breathing, but say torso rotation and things like that, since there is not something in DF for use of things like that, there's no point in it actually existing. Same thing with below the lumbar which is sexual and bladder control. So technically upperspine in the upperbody should only kill the legs because it would kill torso control, and whatever is below it, legs, bladder, sexual etc. Legs are the only thing out of those 4 things in the game, so therefore upper spine should technically only kill legs. That's why I just have only neck and lower spine to make that work out.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/spine_picture.shtml

I'm not sure adding a mid body would really do that much, but the head on the neck thing would be nice.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »

Well that's helpful, I guess 3.2 is the best route to go then. It's a little bit more work, but it's more realistic.

And yes I'll just swap how the head and neck are, altho that might require alot of work due to neck being an optional BP, which means editing of every creature that is HUMANOID and uses the NECK call in their BODY plan. Then again the HUMANOID_NECK body already does this, but most vanilla creatures don't use it. Which means pain in ass to alter all (well not really if using the Find/Replace option)

I would like to add this to Regen, but also share it as a "Vanilla" upgrade so that hard core vanilla players dont need to see new crap but have the realistic feel of a harder/ flavourful game. One of my projects is making fingers and toes more indepth. Like adding the knuckles, and the segments of the fingers. Thus making some decriptions look cool like "Dwarf1 is missing the tip of his first finger, his second knuckle (connector of middle finger to hand, knuckle) is broken.

of course if someone lost all the tips of their fingers that means no scratching :P instead of the vanilla loss of enire finger. Only problem with this is now Gloves, Mittens, gauntlets would need a LPSTEP:MAX or something to that effect to cover all finger exstensions. and with this Glovettes can be made (fingerless gloves)

I'm tempted to start a thread on "Making detailed bodies, and tissues for DF" so I don't have to work alone in this great endever of making DF more realistic (this is funny since im the kinda guy that prefers fantasy then realism)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:55:49 pm »

I'm tempted to start a thread on "Making detailed bodies, and tissues for DF" so I don't have to work alone in this great endever of making DF more realistic (this is funny since im the kinda guy that prefers fantasy then realism)

More blood for the blood god overrides all other needs.

I plan on incorporating this ABS, as well as San Diego's mod, and possibly the brain stem part of the mod I'm gonna start making, I already have the game working with ABS+sdRT, if you don't mind.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »

More blood for the blood god overrides all other needs.

I plan on incorporating this ABS, as well as San Diego's mod, and possibly the brain stem part of the mod I'm gonna start making, I already have the game working with ABS+sdRT, if you don't mind.
I have no problem with you using the ABS just give me credit, and I think that's a great idea on merging all these rebalances and realisms. I take you t will be making a thread on making vanilla DF more 'real'? If so I'll simply post my completed fingers and toes in there for body plans. Of course making it so that HUMANOID creatures use the already exsisting HUMANOID_NECK body will involve all vanilla creatures to be edited (same with ettins and other creatures that have different body types, like antmen or mulit-armed humanoids)

So in short I have no problem with you using the ABS

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 04:09:33 pm »

I have no problem with you using the ABS just give me credit, and I think that's a great idea on merging all these rebalances and realisms. I take you t will be making a thread on making vanilla DF more 'real'? If so I'll simply post my completed fingers and toes in there for body plans. Of course making it so that HUMANOID creatures use the already exsisting HUMANOID_NECK body will involve all vanilla creatures to be edited (same with ettins and other creatures that have different body types, like antmen or mulit-armed humanoids)

Yeah of course there will be credit, I could make the realism thread if you want, I was just gonna have those 3 be including in the mod I'm making which I feel will be a flavor of my own for DF as opposed to just making say a more indepth DF, a more realistic DF, a more light DF, etc.

Do you want a thread that's like a mod for this type of thing, or is it going to be a thread for like everyone to make posts for all of their own realism modifications?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »

Yeah of course there will be credit, I could make the realism thread if you want, I was just gonna have those 3 be including in the mod I'm making which I feel will be a flavor of my own for DF as opposed to just making say a more indepth DF, a more realistic DF, a more light DF, etc.

Do you want a thread that's like a mod for this type of thing, or is it going to be a thread for like everyone to make posts for all of their own realism modifications?
I was going for a Mod, that I, You, and any other modder can help consruct. Say like how I want to make Fingers and Toes more flavourful, someone else might want to alter creature attacks. Or maybe someone would like to alter materials, or add more tissues (adding marrow inside bones, adding a 'knee cap' to knees to protect the joint, etc..)

either way the thread would be both a "help make this (add your flavourful title, for making DF more realistic) combat will never be the same"
could have people making suggestions, could have people (like myself) give raws to help advance it.

Of course the more it is kept to being vanilla the easier it is to quickly adapt it to other mods (if other modders would like to include it within their own)

EDIT:
I would try and make the thread and compact all the realisms, but alas I lack the time to do so.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »

I was going for a Mod, that I, You, and any other modder can help consruct. Say like how I want to make Fingers and Toes more flavourful, someone else might want to alter creature attacks. Or maybe someone would like to alter materials, or add more tissues (adding marrow inside bones, adding a 'knee cap' to knees to protect the joint, etc..)

either way the thread would be both a "help make this (add your flavourful title, for making DF more realistic) combat will never be the same"
could have people making suggestions, could have people (like myself) give raws to help advance it.

Of course the more it is kept to being vanilla the easier it is to quickly adapt it to other mods (if other modders would like to include it within their own)

EDIT:
I would try and make the thread and compact all the realisms, but alas I lack the time to do so.

So a commune mod, yeah I'll make the thread.

EDIT:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104222.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:37:58 pm by Vherid »