Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1254 times)

Cookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: March 22, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

+What's the easier way of obtaining more wood in a tree-free land? I ask the merchants for some but often they just bring along a single log.
+Do ambushes enter the map from a random spot, restricting the possibility of early warning towers or whatever?
+How do I go about changing champions weaponry if I mistakenly left them with their training wooden items?
+What's the easiest way of keeping on top of clothing situations? I usually play with only a handful of Dwarves, but checking each person to see if they have the right amount of clothing is pretty tedious.
+Do ropes in wells reach indefinately?
+Which animals require a dungeon master to tame? Also is there a way to reduce the required population for a master to appear?
And finally: is there a way of allowing you to clean an area of my previous attempts at making a fortress without doing reclaim mode?

Thanks guys   :D

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cookie:
<STRONG>+What's the easier way of obtaining more wood in a tree-free land? I ask the merchants for some but often they just bring along a single log. </STRONG>

Ask harder.  Also, ask for for the lightest possible wood (feather or cedar).  Finally, buy up the barrels and bins and order bituminous coal instead of wood if you just want to burn it.

quote:
<STRONG>
+How do I go about changing champions weaponry if I mistakenly left them with their training wooden items?
</STRONG>

Set to unarmed.  Pick up the weapons in a training-weapons stockpile.  'd' 'f'orbid the pile.  Set back to their weapon of choice.

Or, 'v'iew the unit 'i'nventory, select the weapon, and 'd'ump it.

quote:
<STRONG>
+What's the easiest way of keeping on top of clothing situations? I usually play with only a handful of Dwarves, but checking each person to see if they have the right amount of clothing is pretty tedious.
</STRONG>

Ignoring it works.

quote:
<STRONG>
And finally: is there a way of allowing you to clean an area of my previous attempts at making a fortress without doing reclaim mode?</STRONG>

I understood but didn't know the answers to the other questions, but this one I don't even understand.  If you want to act like it never happened, the only way to do that is to have a backup.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

For your last question, I think you could also get your world seed, delete your current world, and then start a "new" world with the seed, and then find your old space (though I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth a shot)
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

New question! I recently "acquired" a Bronze Colossus and was wondering if there is a safe way to transport him. Or do I just surround his cage with a TON of weapon/stone traps and hope for the best, cause I would REALLY like to toss him in a room with a channeled ceiling and use him as arrow practice (since arrows don't really do any damage to these beasts).

Never mind, I found a way. First I built a cage near where I wanted him. Designated a Custom Animal Pile for Colossi only and then assigned him the cage next door.

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: Rawl ]

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

Couldn't you just build the cage containing the collossus?

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.