Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problems with 'go outside' order and squads not going  (Read 3082 times)

farfromhome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with 'go outside' order and squads not going
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Ah, sweet closure. I'm now sure that the problem was with the leader of the squad.

I've started a new fortress. When the greenskins arrived to siege us in 1554, I noticed one of my squads was loitering around again. As it turns out, the Axe Lord leader of the squad was loafing about with half a plump helmet roast in his mouth. The members of his squad were standing about nervously watching him eat.

"Didn't you hear the call to arms?" I asked him somewhat sarcastically. Surely he was as aware as I that the Gods had not yet seen fit to implement deafness. "We're under siege!"

The perfectly agile oaf opened his mouth and spit little roast bits out as he answered:

"I wuff hungee. We'll kilf the goblinf <chew> whenf I'm done eafing."

I pointed at an Axedwarf wearing the same squad colors as this oaf. "YOU! You're now in charge. Give the squad whatever Armok-be-damned name you want to. But get yourself up to the gates or I'll assign the whole gnomeblight-drinking lot of you to fertilizer duty when the river thaws out next summer!"

The squad, newly renamed 'The hotpants of defecation' or somesuch nonsense, hustled up to the gates. I would have stayed around to berate the demoted Axe Lord, but I didn't want to yell at a dwarf who had spent the past three years doing nothing but spar in the barracks and cut open the occasional goblin scout.

Thank you Hyperturtle. Excellent suggestion. Also thanks to Derakon: I'm now ordering walls and fortifications built far beyond the entrance of the mountainhomes.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

I will look again at all the factors, but of course, what I meant by "active" was that the squads were on duty. As I have never assigned any patrol routes, I find it unlikely that any kind of patrol route could cause a problem. Also, they just sit there, so that hardly seems like they are in any kind of patrol mode.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

I have checked everything ... I made an image to show the important aspects. I can't see any reason for them not to respond. The squad leader says "soldier" and is nowhere near the station and the squad is "on duty".

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: Lightman ]

farfromhome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

Nonono, ze posts above jours say to change ze leader of jour party when ze leader iz standink around doink nothink. Then at last, ze soldats, they do zere thing.

Read Hyptertittles post, yayaya?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 01:57:00 am »

I wasn't responding to that reply and my squad leader is not eating. I am quite certain I tried switching squad leaders around (within that squad) and there was no effect.

In any case, is this not a bug? I want to know why the squad won't respond to active duty.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

I just gave that squad a new leader who was active in another squad and at his post. This new squad leader went to his post right away (along with one of the others). Despite the squad leader being in position, the other two (including Erush) continue to sit in the barracks, unmoved (and both show that their current job is "soldier").

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 05:57:00 am »

Hmm, the problem appears to be "stale" patrol points (automatically generated from stations?). As I said, I never created any patrol points, but I finally got the soldiers to move by creating a patrol point (that mysteriously connected to a non-existent station) and then clearing the patrol).

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I've never once had this problem but I always have fully equipped ard armored active on duty dwarves in firing/guarding positions at all times.  Each one is in its own squad and each is stationed at a predefined position in pairs, so that there is almost always coverage no matter who's sleeping and drinking.  

I rotate them on duty/off duty by season.  Winter/Summer On Duty, Spring/Fall Standing down, etc....

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by greggbert:
<STRONG>I've never once had this problem but I always have fully equipped ard armored active on duty dwarves in firing/guarding positions at all times.  Each one is in its own squad and each is stationed at a predefined position in pairs, so that there is almost always coverage no matter who's sleeping and drinking.  

I rotate them on duty/off duty by season.  Winter/Summer On Duty, Spring/Fall Standing down, etc....</STRONG>

That's cool. This is the first time I can remember this being a major problem, but from now on, I'll just make sure to hit "x" every time I station a squad. :P

Pages: 1 [2]