Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free, competitive games?  (Read 12011 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Free, competitive games?
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:57:40 am »

So I've recently discovered that I enjoy competitive multiplayer games a lot more than singleplayer games. Unfortunately my game library doesn't really include that many. If anyone has any suggestions along the lines of League of Legends, TF2, ect., that would be great. Any genre is fine. Twitch shooters, MOBA/RTS is preferred.

If you've got one that isn't free, feel free to list it, too. I need my competitive fix :<

Edit: Games I've got include LoL, TF2, Tribes Ascend, and Blacklight Retribution (which would be fantastic if not for the lack of Australian servers). Plus others, probably, but those are the main ones that are free that I've got.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:02:09 am by FluffyToast J »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Free, competitive games?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:08:22 am »

There is always Spring RTS
http://springrts.com/
or
Quake live
http://www.quakelive.com/
Thank you based dwarf.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:48:31 am »

Heroes of Newerth is basically super competitive LoL.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:02:12 am »

I've tried HoN. The lag is absolutely unbearable, here in Australia. Champs/Heroes are actually jumping around because of the lag. I'm sure I would actually enjoy it apart from that.

I've also got both Spring and Quake Live. Both really good, but I just can't get into the Spring multiplayer. I see that as more of a 'I want to relax and build a massive army' sort of game. I know there is competitive strategies, but it's... I dunno. Good game, though.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:13:14 am »

HoN is just a inferior version of LoL anyway, the playerbase is even worse than LoL aswell. Which is hard to believe is possible.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:09:35 am »

Pax Galaxia - a pared down space strategy RTS. Games tend to take about 10-15 minutes as I recall.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:14:34 am »

For super long term games, try Neptune's Pride. Not super competitive now that I think about it, but I still feel obligated to link to it. http://np.ironhelmet.com/
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:24 am »

I guess a lot of people don't enjoy the game much and it's somewhat different than the games you're looking for, but fallen earth gets pretty competitive once you get past the first area of the game. Factions battling over towns that allow you to harvest resources and stuff. I'm just getting into that area of the game, and it's pretty fun so far. Unfortunately the first area of the game is pretty laggy and boring because of all the new players. Makes it hard to do some quests since you'll have a lot of people clearing out all of the mobs. It's sort of a mix of a shooter and WoW.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:53 am »

OpenArena is essentially Quake Live, but sillier and with less hostility (at least from my experience in playing matches with both).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:28:29 am »

Red Eclipse is like Quake, but with less hardcore players and a bit slower speed of play.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »

Maybe Trackmania Nations? Its not the competitve type of comunity flaming you to death and users hating each other, but its basically a world wide highscore game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

Maybe Trackmania Nations? Its not the competitve type of comunity flaming you to death and users hating each other, but its basically a world wide highscore game.

Also, the LAN/one-computer multiplayer is simply glorious.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:50 am »

World of Tanks. F2P online tank arcade game.

Checking out its Youtube videos will do it justice.

There is a topic floating around in Other Games and we have plenty of B12ers there.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:28 am »

Blacklight Retribution, very new, very interesting, pretty damn good.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:04:22 am »

Ace of spades is great for the few mg dl it is, (sort of shooter cross minecraft).  Other thing I may have for you is the beta of Super monday night combat is out, its free to play and ive got a few spare keys in my steam inventory if you want one, aussie community is building nicely, there are servers in the country etc. 

Add me on steam and ill chuck you one. (steam id is jimboblordofeskimos)
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: [1] 2