Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: caravan passed by?  (Read 421 times)

LurchyMcSmokins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caravan passed by?
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:17 am »

so I get my second dwarven caravan, late autumn second year. three wagons show up with a whole retinue of guards. came in from the north, the liaison beelined it to my leader, as the wagons slowly rolled forward. at this time, a dwarf began a mysterious construction, after not having wood for a while. as I check on the items being used, I assume the wagons are heading in, so I call out my broker, and Queue up some meals to be traded. but something amiss. the liaison is busy holding a meeting, while the guards and wagons slowly rolled off screen to the west. no message, no stragglers save for the liaison. bug? or did I accidentally my caravan?

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caravan passed by?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:53:41 am »

AFAIK The wagons - Like Migrants - will only move from the end of the map if there is a pathable spot to move to. This means that migrants need a meeting area, or the migrants will simply spawn on the edge of the map and not move until they decide to finaly start working after a few days.

Wagons, if a depot wasnt built, will do the same; they will spawn, but not move, until a depot is avalable- even if there is another wagon alrady on the depot, they will move there if they can.

The simple fact that 1) They moved straight off from the edge of the map and 2) they didnt move to your Depot suggests that they entered the map, found a destination, and left. As in this was its original goal; Enter and Leave immediatly.

So something either bugged out, or caravans are now programed to move across embarks without stopping.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caravan passed by?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:02 am »

My guess is that the caravan got attacked and one of the merchants or pack animals died. This causes the rest of the caravan to immediately attempt to leave. Check your combat reports, and check their route for bodies. Also, if the draft animals on a wagon get detached from it or if a wagon is rolling over something when it becomes wagon-impassable, the wagon will promptly die to the same effect, without leaving any corpse or report to mark its passage. In that case, seek piles of merchant goods that might've been its load.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!