Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forgotten beasts too weak?  (Read 5912 times)

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten beasts too weak?
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:20 am »

IŽm a new player so I donŽt really know what to expect from forgotten beasts. I had a titan arrive on my map once and it killed half of my population before I could wall him off. So far so good. But the forgotten beasts who arrived afterwards all turned out to be pretty weak. One was killed by a small group of Cave Fish Men before my military did even arrive there. And they had no problems killing the Fish Men. The next one made it up to my living complex and scared my folks a bit. I was able to seal it off in a corridor together with a war dog. Now strangely after quite some time the beast is still alive but wounded all over by the dog. The dog does not even have a scratch and just gave birth to some puppies.

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beasts too weak?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:28:13 am »

It happens. It's pretty random. One of these days you'll get one that can't be killed short of magma encasement, and this post will go away.
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:30:13 am »

FBs were dangerous because of (1) non-organic materials, (2) syndrome-inducing contaminants. Toady nerfed both due to whining on forums, so yeah, they are weak now.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:11:05 am »

FBs were dangerous because of (1) non-organic materials, (2) syndrome-inducing contaminants. Toady nerfed both due to whining on forums, so yeah, they are weak now.

I got a bronze web spitter (seriously, it was like a machine gun) that chewed up one of my forts pretty bad.  I'd gotten overconfident in my military and didn't have any !!FUN!! traps ready.  By the time I realized how screwed I was and tried to wall off, it was too late.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:32:55 am »

Sometimes you get easy FBs, like steam badger I got. My miner killed it with single pick-slash.

Sometimes you get FRICKING DEAD-MACHINES.
I had one with poisonous blood. I killed it, and then my fort died out because of poisonous blood in well.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:31:29 am »

They're random. FBs made of stuff like grime, steam and water are hilariously weak. On the other hand, FBs with deadly blood can wipe out an entire fortress if their blood gets tracked into the wrong place, sufficiently deadly vapours can kill the entire squad sent against it (happened to me :( ) and deadly dust is the worst. I have a granite forgotten beast with deadly dust locked up, and I'm to afraid to let it loose in case it destroys the entire fort (though I am working on a way to weaponise it instead)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:19:23 am »

Hmm, the beast I mentioned in the OP (the one fighting my war dog) was supposed to have a fiery breath. The dog stayed unharmed though. After a while I gathered all my squads and had a miner open the seal. A couple of hammerdwarves rushed in and smashed it into oblivion in less than a few minutes. Now some of them have bad thoughts about having been exposed to smoke and a clothier who was standing nearby started flashing strangely. But when I investigate him he seems to be fine and is ecstatic about his life. Guess IŽll have to wait if something bad comes from that, but by now almost a year passed, he is still flashing, but doesnŽt seem to have any health problems.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:16 am »

I think there shouldn't be beasts made of steam. It kills all the fun.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:29 pm »

What?! For realskies?! Why would he do that?!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 02:10:36 pm »

He put vampires in as revenge on those people.

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:14 am »

i currently have one made of salt rampaging round in my caverns. bit of a newb still, i dont really know how to set up an effective millitary
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:15 am »

Personally I do think that Megabeasts made of a weak material should be enhanced in other ways.

I mean... Goo Monsters tend to be dangerous even though they are made of a very weak material.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 04:47:38 pm »

I once lost my entire highly trained and well equipped military, including the crossbow dwarves, to a stone stegasaurus with poisonous breath. So to answer your question; no, no they are not weak (especially since that was a region were the dead came back to life >:( )

The horror finally died due to a woodcut going berserk and the stegasaurus was the first thing he saw (thank Armok he had a steel axe)

If anything I'd say certain types of forgotten beasts are too strong.

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:07:00 am »

[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:YES]
[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_ADV:YES]

in d_init. So you can nerf your own FBs if you choose.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14:44 pm »

I think there shouldn't be beasts made of steam. It kills all the fun.
I'd actually prefer for things like this to continue existing, but say, for example, steam FBs to cause severe burns to anyone within a tile or two of them. So it'd be easy to kill, but whoever did it would be in a world of hurt. And of course if it got loose in a fortress...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2