Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you make danger rooms etc. repeat?  (Read 4777 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make danger rooms etc. repeat?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 01:22:46 am »

far as morality goes, it IS cheating, so i will get on to you for it depending on my mood, (see my sig). but they do have situational uses. really depends just how fucked you are.

as far as logistics go.
If you have the same bridge linked to four different levers, you can put all four levers on repeat pull. Even if three dwarves need a sudden booze break, you still have a dwarf pulling the lever. Only takes one lever to move the item. This is for things that are absolutely time critical and cannot be interrupted early.
this, this is brilliant.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 01:33:09 am »

I used a pump under a windmill and above an aquifer. so intake with hatch cover >> pump >> channel with hatch cover >>> pressure plate.

first hatch tied to on/off lever. Pump draws water from aquifer, fills 2 tiles to 7/7. Pressure plate it triggered, opens output channel into aquifer, pressure plate drops below 7/7. After the built in step/lag, hatch closes, almost instantly 7/7 and triggers plate again.

Had legendary armor/dodgers/shield/spear dwarves in just a few weeks:-D << oops, sorry Girlinhat ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:39:14 am »

I've been considering cat triggered pressure plates for Repeater's.

Literally a room big enough for a pressure plate and a door, designate a pen, pen a cat in there, lock the door, and have the pressure plate hooked up to something like a danger room.

Would this work?

Animals without path don't tend to move.

It would be slow, but you could make an animal logic based repeater:

Code: [Select]

######
     ##
#+###+#
##+ ^##
######

Creature (not a cat, they're too small) is placed on one of the two southeast tiles.  Both doors adjacent to the creature are tightly closed, but not forbidden.  The third, northwest door, is opened by the pressure plate.  It works based on controlling the shortest path (probably to meeting hall or owner, where the animal wants to get to.)  When it steps on the pressure plate, it's shortest path is to the west, so it moves to the west, causing the door to close, making the shortest path to the northeast, causing the creature to move to the east tile, etc.  But animal logic isn't very reliable, and it tends to have high latency.

If you want something more reliable, look at the wiki page for repeater or creature logic-- you could always build that repeater with civs trigger and drop a domestic in to run it.

Have anyone noticed that you could just link spears to lever and set lever on repeat? Much easier and faster to do than any kind of repeaters or pressure plates.

Probably true, for people who don't enjoy engineering challenges.  For people who like machinery, figuring out a nicely automated system is its own reward.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:42:30 am by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 01:40:29 am »

first hatch tied to on/off lever. Pump draws water from aquifer, fills 2 tiles to 7/7. Pressure plate it triggered, opens output channel into aquifer, pressure plate drops below 7/7. After the built in step/lag, hatch closes, almost instantly 7/7 and triggers plate again.

Inefficient repeater!

Dig a small basin. Can be as small as only two tiles.
Just fill up a basin with 2/7 water. All 2/7 water. No more, no less.
In the basin have a pressure plate that triggers on repeat at 3/7 water only. No more, no less.
Add in one additional bucket of water. Just one bucket.

Wave motion repeater! Then seal up the repeater so dwarves don't drink it dry by accident.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:31 am »

Inefficient repeater!

Dig a small basin. Can be as small as only two tiles.
Just fill up a basin with 2/7 water. All 2/7 water. No more, no less.
In the basin have a pressure plate that triggers on repeat at 3/7 water only. No more, no less.
Add in one additional bucket of water. Just one bucket.

Wave motion repeater! Then seal up the repeater so dwarves don't drink it dry by accident.

Eh. Was mentioned earlier that this is rather slow:p I like the efficiency tho ;-)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 02:17:40 am »

far as morality goes, it IS cheating...
Far as I'm concerned, it's about as much cheating as is a big long hallway lined with cage traps.

Which is to say, I don't use either, but whatever.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:30 am »

Far as I'm concerned, it's about as much cheating as is a big long hallway lined with cage traps.

When it involves stuff that doesn't impact their game, it becomes a matter of "Let me play how I wanna play, and you can play however you wanna play, don't force your P.O.V on me"

As far as I'm concerned, these are merely personal choice issues and nothing more. Absolutely nothing for anyone to get their panties in a twist about or harang someone else over.

If this was a multiplayer game and someone was cheating, okay, different story.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:23 am »

Have anyone noticed that you could just link spears to lever and set lever on repeat? Much easier and faster to do than any kind of repeaters or pressure plates.

Not really. In my experience the dwarves flip the lever back and fourth so quickly that the spear doesn't even have time to react.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 03:32:02 am »

When it involves stuff that doesn't impact their game, it becomes a matter of "Let me play how I wanna play, and you can play however you wanna play, don't force your P.O.V on me"

As far as I'm concerned, these are merely personal choice issues and nothing more. Absolutely nothing for anyone to get their panties in a twist about or harang someone else over.

Which was what I meant with the laconic "whatever." :)
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 03:34:06 am »

Which was what I meant with the laconic "whatever." :)

Just leaving my two cents on the matter.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:45 am »

Not really. In my experience the dwarves flip the lever back and fourth so quickly that the spear doesn't even have time to react.

Ya, I had the same problem in my last fort when I tried using a lever set to repeat.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:10 am »

Yeah, sorry, it's a bit past my bedtime. Your two cents were worth more than my "whatever."
Honestly, I don't even understand why people would get upset over someone else playing the game "wrong."

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 04:40:13 am »

Yeah, sorry, it's a bit past my bedtime. Your two cents were worth more than my "whatever."
Honestly, I don't even understand why people would get upset over someone else playing the game "wrong."

I usually place it as elitism, or just plain stupidity and an inability to let people do as they wish even when its not hurting anyone.

I mean after all, video games are apparently life and death, and make or break whole nations.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:41 am »

From my point of view a danger room makes the average game way too easy and boring. While a long hallway with cage traps might be necessary to survive the first siege and gives your marksdorfs enough fodder for training on live targets. After a while you can replace the cage traps with weapon traps or another way to get rid of the invaders without the need to put soldiers at risk. But yeah, stopping every siege in itīs tracks without having a "real" fight is probably not the way DF is inteded to be played.

On the other hand, itīs a single player game... so why should I bother with others "cheating"?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:49 am »

Well, yes and no. If you keep it on repeat for long enough it definitely helps but if you give a set of loose flip lever orders then it doesn't really register. Maybe they flip it too fast and are then done too soon for the damn things to actually work. Don't know.

Also @ other folk: Your "morality" = snorality.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 [2] 3