Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you make danger rooms etc. repeat?  (Read 4779 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
How do you make danger rooms etc. repeat?
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:09 am »

Just put a bunch of Pressure Plates in there as well?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make danger rooms etc. repeat?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:29:54 am »

the usual method is to hook all the spears to a lever and have some dwarf pull it.  If it you want it to work forever forever you could do some trick with pressure plates and water or you could wall a vampire in with the lever. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:58 am »

Check my sig, Dwarven Relativity explains danger rooms for people who wish to build them.  The particular thread got swept up into a morality issue, while I was only trying to show the logistical side.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:48 am »

Repeater from DF Wiki
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:36:53 am »

Heheh, the old "You should play this single player game the way I think you should!" argument. It seems like half the reason I add dangerrooms to my fortresses (apart from pet killing) is to piss people off if I happen to post an image.  ::)

But yeah, lever in the dining hall hooked up to all the spears. Then just q > P > r

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:38:40 am »

Morality issue, as in, are danger rooms cheating?

Anyway, you could hook all of them up to a pressure plate in a 1x2 room set to trigger on 4/7 water, then drop a single tile of 7/7 water through a hatch into the room. Water will slosh back and forth forever, as far as I know.

I plan to do something like, instead of using it for a danger room, turn a part of the land around my fort into a deathfield of spikey doom.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:42:33 am »

Morality issue, as in, are danger rooms cheating?

Anyway, you could hook all of them up to a pressure plate in a 1x2 room set to trigger on 4/7 water, then drop a single tile of 7/7 water through a hatch into the room. Water will slosh back and forth forever, as far as I know.

I plan to do something like, instead of using it for a danger room, turn a part of the land around my fort into a deathfield of spikey doom.

Using a flow-based repeater that's only 2 tiles wide doesn't work very well.  The flow goes faster than the pressure plate can trigger, so you end up getting an on signal, then it gets retriggered before it can give an off signal-- for ever and ever.  I think you need at least 5 tiles to start to get any good triggering off of the flow.  But I ought to put a wave-based repeater on that wiki page, it's a nice simple kind of repeater.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:42:51 am »

Yeah, turned into a hefty debate on why you shouldn't use them.  Personally, I don't mind danger rooms, except when people share stories about their fort with them.  "10 dwarves against an army, fresh recruits with naught but a week in the spear pit-" nevermind I lost interest.  Don't brag about your military when you instagibbed it.  Otherwise sure, use them all you want... silently :3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

I tend to use them to turn my militia commander into an untouchable badass, but with the way immigration works, I haven't even needed to do that, what with the legendary military skill immigrants. I mean, where's the point in training someone who can already dodge dozens of bolts while cutting up a dozen enemies? Most of my recent fortresses use them more for pet killing than anything else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:59:16 am »

I've been considering cat triggered pressure plates for Repeater's.

Literally a room big enough for a pressure plate and a door, designate a pen, pen a cat in there, lock the door, and have the pressure plate hooked up to something like a danger room.

Would this work?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:49 am »

If you've just got a cat standing on a pressure plate, then no.  Pastured animals also aren't always very active, chances are you won't get much movement.

Try building in soil, with grass.  Make two rooms with a door between them, except remove the door and put a pressure plate.  As your grazers go from one room to the other to nip grass, they'll trigger the plate.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:06:56 am »

Meh, I just think they'd make the game boring. Also they seem like they shouldn't work. So I have never done one. Heck, I insist on putting my dudes into 10-dwarf squads to train, specifically because I heard that putting them in 2-3 dwarf squads makes them spar more often.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:38 am »

If you've just got a cat standing on a pressure plate, then no.  Pastured animals also aren't always very active, chances are you won't get much movement.

Try building in soil, with grass.  Make two rooms with a door between them, except remove the door and put a pressure plate.  As your grazers go from one room to the other to nip grass, they'll trigger the plate.

Hmm..well darn, I was hoping that would work. Oh well, I guess I can try the other method. Or if I get enough vampires. Use them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:13 am »

For things that I want to be able to turn on and off with great precision I use multiple redundant levers.

If you have the same bridge linked to four different levers, you can put all four levers on repeat pull. Even if three dwarves need a sudden booze break, you still have a dwarf pulling the lever. Only takes one lever to move the item. This is for things that are absolutely time critical and cannot be interrupted early.

For less pressing concerns, like a danger room, only a single lever is fine.

For things that I want to move slowly and endlessly for the rest of time and that will never be turned off, such as for atom smashing garbage at the bottom of my garbage chutes, I'll use a wave motion repeater. Once turned on it will run forever, albeit slowly, and cannot be stopped easily.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 01:22:25 am »

Have anyone noticed that you could just link spears to lever and set lever on repeat? Much easier and faster to do than any kind of repeaters or pressure plates.
Pages: [1] 2 3