Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Modding Questions  (Read 1368 times)

A_Cuter_Triangle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small Modding Questions
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:18:24 pm »

I am a completely new modder.  Any help with the following questions would be helpful!  Thanks!

1.  Can castes be used at the entity level?  For example, can I have an entity with caste-specific reactions or clothing?
2.  Alternatively, can I add or forbid reactions or clothing at the creature level for different castes?
3.  Can the frequency of births of different castes be changed?  Can I make some castes sterile?
4.  Can living creatures be used in reactions?  What about in the construction of buildings?  Can the creatures be retrievable upon building destruction?
5.  Can time to perform a reaction be increased?
6.  Alternatively, can a reaction have a timer that must be expire before it can be done again?
7.  Is there any way to use math with the value of reaction products?  For example, can I increase the number of products produced by a reaction based on the dwarf's skill (instead of increasing the value of the product)?
8.  Can workshops be multi z-levels high?  (Probably not.)
10.  Can new submenus be added to the building menu?
11.  Are feathers a product of bird butchering?  Is there any existing way to obtain feathers in the game?
12.  I would like to use intestines plus various fillings to make sausage.  Is there a way to make a new workshop that makes edible food, or can the kitchen be modded?
13.  If I make plants that grow in the mountain biome, can they be farmed?
14.  I am really confused about the armor tokens.  If I make a glove item that has upstep 1 and an armor item that has ubstep max and both are an under layer with layer_size 10, does the permit on both need to be 20 in order for a dwarf to wear both since both are covering the lower arm?
15.  How do armorlevel and coverage interact?
16.  Is there a way to make wooden shoes?
17.  If a small amount of a bar (or something else) is used in a reaction, will the rest be stored for eventual use, or is the leftover part lost?
18.  Which body parts can be used in construction without the danger of rotting?
19.  I have never been lucky enough to obtain flux and a good metal ore in the same embark.  What is flux, exactly?  (perhaps not a modding question)
20.  Is there a way to make a creature in a reaction?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Small Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:24:07 pm »

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes. POP_RATIO changes the frequency of births, sterility will work by just not making them male or female (or, if you won't have that, I believe that there is a [STERILE] tag now).
4. No.
5. Yes. The more stuff the reaction makes, the longer it will take.
6. No.
7. No.
8. No.
9. There is no number 9.
10. No.
11. I don't think so.
12. Yes, a new workshop can be made, but the kitchen can't be modded.
13. No, I don't think so.
14. No, it only counts for the base body part.
15. In such a way that I have read the armor article in the wiki 3 times and I still don't quite understand :P
16. Yes, simply make a reaction to make shoes out of wood. You could also make them an armor and give them exclusively to elves.
17. It will be stored for eventual use if it's soap, IIRC, but other than that, no.
18. I think that they won't rot at all if they're part of a construction.
19. Flux is a calcium-based sedimentary rock such as chalk, calcite, or marble.
20. No.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:37:30 pm »

18. I think that they won't rot at all if they're part of a construction.

They do rot and produce miasma, when fully rotted away the building collapses. Try totems and bones, they are ok.

12.  I would like to use intestines plus various fillings to make sausage.  Is there a way to make a new workshop that makes edible food, or can the kitchen be modded?.
I have the finished raws for that. Have a look at the reaction_masterwork.txt and search for "new kitchen" Hope that helps
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:48:29 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:43:17 pm »

1. No.
2. No - especially "no".  Even if you mod women to be 10x the size of a man, the breastplates will not be "large" or "small" and will fit any dwarf.
3. Yes - You can leave out a gender entirely, though descriptors will then be "it".  Toady also introduced the [STERILE] tag to add to vampires via interaction, I think that should also apply to castes to forbid breeding while allowing gender-specific pronouns.  I've not seen any reports on this, though it looks solid.
4. No - the manipulation of life is something modders have been after for quite a while.  Although, apparently vermin can be used.  I'm... not sure what would happen if you built with one, chances are that it doesn't accept the option and just crashes with error.
5. No, though you can cause artificial clutter or call for intermediate steps using the [AUTOMATIC] tag.  For example, take one boulder, produce boulder2, have an automatic reaction that takes boulder2 and produces boulder3.  Another automatic reaction takes boulder3 and produces a brick.  This takes 4x longer than a single reaction, though it can cause workshop weirdness it should all occur automatically and require no new job assignments.
6. No, unfortunately.
7. No, this is something we've wanted for a while.
8. No.
9. You forgot 9.
10. No, another thing modders have wanted for a while.
11. They should be, but for the life of me I can't remember.  Either way, very easy to mod in, especially utilize the new [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT] tokens.  Observe ostrich raws for an example.
12. Kitchen can be modded, I do believe.  Prepared meals cannot, however.  They take "any food" really.  Though, you can add a flag to intestines, similar to marble, dolomite, and chalk.  [REACTION_CLASS:INTESTINES] and then in the reaction, you call for "1 CLASS:INTESTINES" and "1 food item" or however you want to do it.  Be careful, you might end up with sausages being stuffed with other sausages (thus destroying food), and the "name" will be the first item used.  If your dwarf uses ostrich intestines and pig meat, it can change.  If you call for intestines first, you get "ostrich sausage" but if you call for meat first, you get "pig sausage".
13. Mountains have no soil (or negligible amounts) so you might have logistical problems with that.
14. Not my area, sorry - though I will say that it appears to count by body part.  Glove slot doesn't interact with the upper body slot at all, even if they overlap body parts it's still different slots.
15. Coverage determines the approximate chance that a strike will hit the armor instead of striking flesh.  Armorlevel, I'm not sure, I think that only applies to stacking armor atop armor.
16. You can't through traditional means, but you can make a custom reaction that takes logs and produces shoes/boots.
17. I believe it gets stored - see: hospital uses partial bars.
18. That's tricky...  I think they all will eventually.  Though you can cheat by adding a stone type that doesn't occur anywhere, name it "bone" and make a reaction that takes "turkey bone" (bone) and produces "bone" (stone).  Only issue is that it won't keep the creature's material tag, so you can't have "turkey bone boulder" but if you're using it for construction it might not matter much anyways.  Either way, experience with the display case mod has shown that if a material in construction rots, the workshop deconstructs and the surviving pieces are left intact.
19. www.lmgtfy.com/?q=flux+stone+metallurgy
20. This, friend dwarf, is the holy grail of modding goals.  As yet we are unable to produce life in the workshop, and I believe Toady intentionally keeps this methodology hidden for fear - rightly so - of the things we shall do.  HOWEVER, you can now use materials with syndromes to cause transformations.  While it doesn't make new life, you can take one life into another life.  Observe: Masterworks mod has a method of turning dwarves into golems.  I'm not sure, but you MIGHT be able to apply this to vermin - vermin can be requested in a reaction and a boiling stone may be applied as a product, transforming the vermin into something else.  Radical idea, really, but worth looking into.  If done right, you might be able to produce a vermin which is named "accelerant flesh" that doesn't occur in nature but you can buy from caravans, utilizing this vermin as a catalyst to create different life forms.

I look forward to your debauchery into the undead and the dark arts.  Your inquiries show a resoundingly hopeful amount of unhinged desires.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:52:44 pm »

Vermin tags are sadly not supported by the CE_ADD or CE_REMOVE, so making a vermin and transforming it will still create a vermin, even if it is angel of death vermin.

I can change castes/guilds, breed working slaves, create golems from dwarves, add sleeper agents and make mages. And armor animals... if any of this helps leave me a PM, this stuff is rather complicated.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:54:48 pm »

Ah-ha, figured it'd be too much of a longshot, but worth testing.  Elephant vermin sounds interesting though.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:50 am »

6. You might sort of be able to make a timer if you made the workshop unusably dangerous for a time after the reaction was run. Like creating several items that each boiled sequentially and that knocked out whoever was unlucky enough to inhale the fumes, for instance. This is a terrible idea and should never be used.

12. The kitchen can have custom reactions added to it.

14. The PERMIT and SIZE tokens care only about what is on the body part the item is equipped on, not what the armor piece covers. UBSTEP and LBSTEP do not make any difference to what armor you can wear at once.

15. They don't. ARMORLEVEL is mostly just a holdover from before the military and uniform overhaul in 31.01. It does not affect protection at all. Its sole function, as far as I've been able to tell, is related to what armor pieces a civilization gets at any given rarity level. You could make every armor piece be ARMORLEVEL:3 and aside from having a chance of not being able to make all of them you'd see no difference. It would be like how you can sometimes make only low boots, sometimes only high boots, and sometimes both, but never neither; ARMORLEVEL is the thing that causes that behavior, and that's the only thing it does.

17. I'm pretty sure reactions use the whole bar and don't store any of it. Soap use in hospitals doesn't use reactions, so that's irrelevant.

19. In basic terms, flux helps remove impurities in metalworking. In steel making, it stops the iron from oxygenating when heated, for instance. If you didn't have flux and attempted to make steel, you'd just get rust.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 01:22:33 am »

Part of this mod is making sausages along with other meats http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5380 You can just take out the sausage stuff and put them in the new animals.

I was actually trying to coat the sausages with intestine "casings" at first, but couldn't in the old version.

Bones don't currently rot, even though they really should.  But that would make it more difficult to get bone crafts and skeletons in shrines.  You could name a stone type Verminium, and/or Writhing Verminium for flavor, but I never got a reaction to take a live vermin.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

A_Cuter_Triangle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »

3. Yes. POP_RATIO changes the frequency of births, sterility will work by just not making them male or female (or, if you won't have that, I believe that there is a [STERILE] tag now).

15. In such a way that I have read the armor article in the wiki 3 times and I still don't quite understand :P

Thank you for your help, although some of your replies crush my hopes!  I have a question about this reply.  What do the male and female tags do?  Do they govern pronoun use, marriage eligibility, or childbirth?

15--I know the feeling.

Part of this mod is making sausages along with other meats http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5380 You can just take out the sausage stuff and put them in the new animals.

Thank you.  I'll take a look.

6. You might sort of be able to make a timer if you made the workshop unusably dangerous for a time after the reaction was run. Like creating several items that each boiled sequentially and that knocked out whoever was unlucky enough to inhale the fumes, for instance. This is a terrible idea and should never be used.

Yesss....

15. They don't. ARMORLEVEL is mostly just a holdover from before the military and uniform overhaul in 31.01. It does not affect protection at all. Its sole function, as far as I've been able to tell, is related to what armor pieces a civilization gets at any given rarity level. You could make every armor piece be ARMORLEVEL:3 and aside from having a chance of not being able to make all of them you'd see no difference. It would be like how you can sometimes make only low boots, sometimes only high boots, and sometimes both, but never neither; ARMORLEVEL is the thing that causes that behavior, and that's the only thing it does.

19. In basic terms, flux helps remove impurities in metalworking. In steel making, it stops the iron from oxygenating when heated, for instance. If you didn't have flux and attempted to make steel, you'd just get rust.

Interesting.  So, each civilization only has one piece of clothing/armor for each armor level, location, and layer?  What if I use the FORCED option?

Thank you for the flux explanation.  I finally understand.

16. You can't through traditional means, but you can make a custom reaction that takes logs and produces shoes/boots.

I guess I was more confused than I thought.  What do the [METAL], [LEATHER], and [SOFT] tags do?  What does [MATERIAL_SIZE] do?  I thought they governed the materials to create the item.

Thank you to everyone who replied.  I will try to make something cool, although it will clearly be a lot different from what I had originally imagined.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »

5.  Can time to perform a reaction be increased?

No.  I once accidentally screwed up a reaction such that it produced several thousand items as a result.  It took just as long to do as the correct reaction that produced one item.

11.  Are feathers a product of bird butchering?  Is there any existing way to obtain feathers in the game?

Sometimes. Butchering returns depend on the size of the creature.  Large birds (and bird-shaped forgotten beasts) will produce feathers when butchered.  In the vanilla game feathers are useless, but it's possible to mod the game to make them usable in crafts.

18.  Which body parts can be used in construction without the danger of rotting?

All the body parts that don't rot.  In the default game, I think that's only bones, shell, feathers, horn, teeth, scales, and leather.

If you somehow make a building that includes a body part that rots (say, if you have the display case mod and put a piece of meat on display) it will rot and deconstruct the building when it does so.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »

What do the male and female tags do?  Do they govern pronoun use, marriage eligibility, or childbirth?

All of the above.  They'll determine which pronoun the creature uses.  Only FEMALE creatures can give birth, and only if fertilized by a MALE creature.  I'm pretty sure that they'll also determine who can marry who, although I haven't tested that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »

All the body parts that don't rot.  In the default game, I think that's only bones, shell, feathers, horn, teeth, scales, and leather.
Do note "leather" and not "skin".  It needs to be tanned to be preserved.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »

Do note "leather" and not "skin".  It needs to be tanned to be preserved.
Also once the skin rots, the reaction for tanning rejects it. 
And while you can't make a reaction take a longer time you can simulate that by making an intermediate step where you produce one of a dummy item without using up the regent, repeat that for as long as you want to take and then use the original regent and every dummy item that you produced to make the final product.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:19:16 pm »

Interesting.  So, each civilization only has one piece of clothing/armor for each armor level, location, and layer?  What if I use the FORCED option?
No, each civilization has at least one clothing/armor type for each level and location (layer doesn't matter). Also, that's only true with the COMMON rarity. That's why you can sometimes get both low and high boots; they're both ARMORLEVEL:1 and COMMON rarity. Lower rarities than common sometimes don't appear even if the entity has no other pieces of that level and location.

The FORCED rarity means that the civilization just gets that armor piece, though IIRC if you have one forced item and one common item of a particular level and location you might not get the common one.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!