Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ok, seriously. Enough with the zombie owls!  (Read 3890 times)

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, seriously. Enough with the zombie owls!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »

sadfsdf
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:32:11 am by Benedict Hardy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »

Get your civilians underground, and leave them there.  Military stationed at the entrance, make sure nothing gets in.  Hope you like [CAVE_ADAPT]!

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 07:55:24 am »

sefsef
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:32:06 am by Benedict Hardy »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 08:27:35 am »

You should stick around more often! It's clearly a nicer forum. Looks better with my default browser colour. ;)

Bah, have you betrayed us at TW? D:

Nevertheless, some dogs are always a solid investment. Especially against this kind of thing. Might be worth getting a fast dwarf with a simple weapon to clobber them before the next round comes and then hope you survive untill you can pass it along to the next hapless bystander. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 08:39:48 am »

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Owls/

Weeble is awesome. Someone sent we a link to Narwhals shortly before my final exams back in high school. 3 days of never ending narwhals... that song got imprinted on the back of my head. Fun memories :D

Now, back to owls...

Do they spawn on any map edge? Or do they keep coming from a certain direction? If you can't distract them so your dwarfs can do anything productive I doubt you will get anywhere before more fun comes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:42:59 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 08:54:23 am »

This is why I tend to mod mundane animals as non-undead.
In any biome, you end up getting just the same one kind of undead critter, always an annoyance, never a challenge.
Dear, owls, etc.

The giant critters, exotics, humanoids, populations, lions & tigers & bears, and domestic animals I leave undead.

Although, I find the zombie mosquito men annoying as well.

It sucks to have undead without priests to cast the Turn spell, and crossbows which can't hit anything that flys.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 09:07:44 am »

Last resort: cave-in the wagon from underneath, sacrificing one of the starting 7 to do this. Don't look back.

Ideally you'd have embarked with necessary materials and weapons to immediately wall and ceiling yourself in.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Owls/
Gee after reading all the other reactions, I thought I was going in for something headsplittingly venomous like that one Kaguya Houraisan song I have perma-deleted and refuse to remember or dig back up. Instead the threat turned out to be an infectious song. I've got too many of those to be vulnerable to ones that don't fit my taste.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »

sefsfes
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:31:53 am by Benedict Hardy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:41 pm »

TW?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »

TaleWorlds. :P More specifically, the anachronist's guild (off-topic) on the taleworlds forum. Forum for a completely different game.

You should stick around more often! It's clearly a nicer forum. Looks better with my default browser colour. ;)

Bah, have you betrayed us at TW? D:

I'm afraid so. The TW community just seemed to go downhill for me. A lot of the people I knew from early on left, and the forum got invaded by 1337 kids once Warband came out.

Plus a lot of the veterans were kinda dicks, not gonna lie :-P

Eh, it's changed, yeah. I was kinda in-between them vets and the warbanders. We're still remarkably safe from the worst of the annoying kids though. And yeah, some of the veterans were/are kinda dicks. Funny dicks though. There's also a lot of really swell new guys and gals though, so it ain't all bad. :P

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »

If you have soil layers then here's my plan.

First of all, seal off the entrance of your fort and then dig down until you hit the caverns. Once you get to the caverns seal up the entrance to the caverns too and dig out a huge area in your soil layers. Precious wood bearing mushrooms will grow there which you can harvest without being interrupted by zombowls. Then go make traps. Lots and lots of traps.

Alternatively if this is at all possible with the owl issues, make a ceiling over most of your embark site. The owls won't be able to make full advantage of their ability to fly if you have a ceiling between them and your dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:04:45 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:20 pm »

sefscsef
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:31:42 am by Benedict Hardy »

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »

Y'know, I actually get the feeling that tossing owl corpses into the volcano is NOT the most effective disposal method. It's efficient, sure, and it'll keep them from reraising on you, but you're going to be facing an unending flood of them. Instead, I agree with the wingless-owls-in-pit method. Why? Population caps, my friend, population caps ;).

The one all-evil embark I got going in this version suffered from a similar issue, in that there was an unending flood of corpses harassing me. Eventually, I decided to just stick 'em behind locked doors, in pits under drawbridges, and all that. After a while, I noticed that I wasn't getting any new wandering zombies on the map, which means a lot less random harassment. Yes, eventually you'll probably want to melt them with magma, but until you've got a basic infrastructure up and running, it seems prudent to see if they'll hit a population cap of some sort.

Assuming, y'know, you actually figure out a way to get your dwarves to work at some point.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »

Either that or a souped-up lavatastic super-soaker to shoot the shites out of the sky. *sprrrrrfftFIIIRE*

And I'm sure !!Owl corpses!! are hilarious too.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 02:03:02 pm »

Zombies don't burn.  Corpses burn, zombies just turn into flaming zombies.  The only thing worse than a horde of zombies eating at your skull is doing it while currently on fire.

Weaponization pending.
Pages: 1 [2] 3