Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ok, seriously. Enough with the zombie owls!  (Read 3889 times)

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ok, seriously. Enough with the zombie owls!
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:36:30 pm »

ad asd
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:15:03 am by Benedict Hardy »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, seriously. Enough with the zombie owls!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »

Build a barracks at the entrance to your fortress. Recruit a squad of dwarves, equip them with whatever weapons and armor you have, and assign them to be on duty at that barracks.

They will train when there are no zombies to kill, and when zombies are sighted they will attack the zombies until the zombies are all dead, then return to their barracks to train more.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:45:16 pm »

Fliers are just a pain in the ass to deal with. Not even the caravan guards seem to have much luck killing them, I'll find tons and tons of bolts fired in my map but no dead Ravens.

Covered access to where your dwarves are going will definitely help all except woodcutters. Having an actual military would probably be wise. Of course, any owl you kill is just gonna get up and start flapping around again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »

They're excellent for training up marksdwarves; because they're constantly missing all the bolts fall back down to the ground and you can recover them.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:23 pm »

e sfsf
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:32:34 am by Benedict Hardy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:59:11 pm »

Burrows and "don't save corpses" in the orders screen.  (o, r, c(?) to change them to dump corpses in the garbage instead of stockpiling them.)  Also change them to collect refuse from outside, and they'll automatically dump any owl corpses.  Set the dump zone onto a pit, and... your dwarves will dump flying creatures into a shallow hole.  Yeah that might now work.

Well, it's "evil" biome for a reason!

Also, didn't know the good psychopaths at Cataclysm were running DF forts!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:04:55 pm »

If your dwarves are being traumatized to unhappiness already, but not actually getting hurt, you might as well just start walling yourself off. Because it's only going to get worse from there.

Here's an idea though. Try chaining up some war dogs outside your entrance or at key points. I've found ravens in my map really seem to enjoy picking on targets that can't run away. Of course, this went badly for the war dogs, but on the upside they did manage to retaliate some and hurt the ravens. And they won't get cranky about it.

Similarly, you could draft one dwarf and don't give him any weapons, then station him. He'll try to wrestle anything that gets close enough to attack him, and while it might take awhile, I bet once they get fighting and wrestling up they'll actually be able to pull down or charge an owl on its attack and beat on it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:07:00 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Owls/
You are a monster.  Do you know how many days of other music I'm going to have to listen to to get that out of my head?

3) You don't quite understand what zombie owls are, if you think that a group of dwarves, no matter how numerous or dedicated, are going to be able to handle them. These things are fast like lightning. They stay about 30 Z levels up until they smell fear, and then they're all up in your beard, slightly bruising you, and sending you running in pants-shitting fear for the hills.
Okay, this got a pretty big laugh out of me.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:50 pm »

This does not bother me, for I have learned the art of emergency memory dump.

It's like ejecting a spent clip from a shotgun. Only for the mind.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:20 pm »

ertg ergreg
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:31:22 am by Benedict Hardy »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »

I saw that. I saw that and that is okay. It's okay that that exists. I'm okay. Everything is going to be okay.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:06:04 pm »

It's not evil without anal violation.

Look into my pit idea some more though.  "Dwarves save corpses" to "dump" instead, and "dwarves gather refuse from outside" to on.  Then dig out a shallow pit with no ramps or stairs (may have to sacrifice a miner?) and designate it as a garbage zone.  Dwarves will now drag corpses to the pit and throw them in.  Give your soldier(s) bladed weapons, and eventually the wings should be severed, rendering the owls into feathered rats who can no longer fly, and who's wings will not resurrect.  At this point the pit will sustain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »

For future reference, make the room for a breeding pair of war dogs. They aren't that great and the ratio of dogs to goblins is probably 6:1......but they're a free pseudo military that costs you absolutely nothing except the puppy wrangling and an animal trainer. They can provide a little meat, leather and bones without the pain in the ass of grazing animals.

I like to stuff them all in a cage at the entrance to my fort, attach a lever and unleash a swarm of them until my military arrives. Of course that's under ideal conditions. Still, if you're going to embark to hell and aren't planning on making all 7 dwarves killers....might as well bring some breedable cannon fodder.
Pages: [1] 2 3