Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Earth - Ultima Online inspired goodness?  (Read 2838 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
First Earth - Ultima Online inspired goodness?
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:06 pm »

Just had this brought to my attention today and damn does it sound tasty.
What would you do if you were starting over on a new planet? How would you build your shelter? What would you hunt? What crops would you cultivate? Would you be victorious over torrential storms or let forces of nature sweep over you? Would you domesticate wild animals or let them roam through your land? Would you look for others to build your civilization with?

In First Earth you create your own civilization. Starting on Earth without any humans in sight, you make the critical decisions that will dictate how you live and whether your survival is a perilous struggle or a victory over nature. You control your advancement and where you take your civilization. Should you wish to advance with others, you can seek them out. You start as a caveman in rags, but can advance through the ages to create what only you can imagine. The choices are yours. Your path is unknown; how will you walk it?

There's a lot going on in this MMO and I won't spam the forums with all of the details on their About page, but it's definitely something that piques my interests.

http://firstearthgame.com/

It seems a little too ambitious but I won't hold that against them. It seems like Wurm to the Nth degree. So far the only real media I can find is a recent dev trailer showing progress towards developing the huge world they intend to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTgcuKq87s

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Earth - Ultima Online inspired goodness?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:25 pm »

Looks kinda neat actually, I think we've all been missing a niche sci-fi sandbox game comparable to wurm. Too bad there is very little hype/knowledge of the game, which usually has me pessimistic about it's development outcome (see Shores of Hazeron)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »

Yeah, the problem with games like these is that, while they're niche games that appeal to certain people, they also benefit hugely from a big playerbase which they'll never get.  The game describes a merchant using her reputation and market skills to become a reseller, buying from small producers and selling for a profit, hiring people to advertise, etc.  Most of the games like this I can think of, a Wal-Mart like that would employ like a tenth of the server population, which isn't going to work.
Shoes...

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:36:57 pm »

Unless we ALL play it.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »

Sounds like a Second life knockoff with more emphasis on being a game rather than a overgrown chatroom with buyable penises.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:07:12 pm »

Sounds like a Second life knockoff with more emphasis on being a game rather than a overgrown chatroom with buyable penises.

Doesn't sound anything like Second Life if you read the actual description. It's an MMORPG with societal systems, not a building sandbox where you can make any shape you wish. The items are still items that fit within the world, there are still monsters to fight, etc. It's much, much closer to Ultima Online, Wurm, and the like than SL

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »

This sort of reminds me of a project me and a few friends tried to undertake a few years ago wherein we wanted to take text based online games that mimicked society in a strict roleplaying sense such as Cantr II and Faery Tale and implement them in a graphical way. Needless to say, we didn't get very far because it was too large a project for such a small team, but these kinds of games are right up my alley, and I am disheartened to find that there are very little (nearly zero) games that try this type of gameplay that's built upon aspects of social interaction and teamwork.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:02:26 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:59 pm »

FUCK YES
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?