Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Mist & Steam !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 1214 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Magma Mist & Steam !!SCIENCE!!
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:32:49 am »

So the wiki says steam is harmful in the new version, and we have no idea about the lethality of magma mist.

Tested in 0.31.05.

First test: submitting a rabbit to a constant source of steam, aka a magma man in a water flow in the Arena.

I make an 1-tile island in the rivers of the Arena, put a rabbit on it, and then surround it with magma men. The magma men plunge inside the river and start to boil it.

Multiple clouds of steam enter the rabbit's tile, no damage is observed. Gonna now test the magma mist, and see if prolonged exposure to steam hurts the rabbit.

As for the magma mist, I will drop a 4x4x1 block of rock in the magma pools, creating large amounts of magma mist, wait for the cave-in dust to disappear, and create fliers in the magma mist caves.

Cave-in happens. A giant cloud of dust of various inorganic material happens (no soil though, but yes, there's even slade dust, copper dust, gem dust and rock dust, as well as bituminous copper dust). Nice bug right there.

After a while, the mineral cloud disappears, but not the lava mist. I therefore spawn 50 masked lovebird men inside (mostly) the lava mist column.

I pause, then immediately after unpause. 15 are already !!Masked Lovebird Men!!

After a while, more than the half are burning.

And after the cloud dissipates, only nine have survived. Seems these didn't get touched by the magma mist.

I go and see the rabbit, which has nearly two pages of "being caught in a burst of steam". No damage at all.

Conclusion : Steam still does nothing. Magma mist however...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Magma Mist & Steam !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:05:26 pm »

You sure steam doesn't just cause blistering? Blistering won't show up on the (v)(w) screen and they tend to heal very quickly.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:01:55 pm »

I have possessed a rabbit and gave him the same treatment. Nothing on the health screen.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:13:46 pm by Naryar »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

Well I tested it on a human, goblin and elf, and the results appear to confirm that steam does no damage whatsoever.

SAUNA TIME

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »

If my memory serves me correctly, steam became harmless at some point between versions 0.22.120.23a and 0.23.125.23a (both old 2D versions) when actual Temperature support was added to the game.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:37 pm »

Does magma mist cause direct damage or does it just set things on fire?