Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Erecting A New Fortress  (Read 2321 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Erecting A New Fortress
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:38:56 am »

So, after a rather demoralizing event with my primary fortress, I decided to finally get around to trying out one of the newer bugfix releases. Before I was to gen up a new world, however, I wanted ensure that I restored the slightly more vulgar words that Toady had apparently removed from the game. As things just aren't the same when you don't have the opportunity to be attacked by the Incest of Spraying in the Assault of Rapes.
While I was restoring the languages to their former glory, I figured it would be a lovely chance to do something I've always wanted, and add a few words the races' languages. Adding more flavor, and giving the chance for more always welcomed RNG wackiness.

"Should I really be tampering with the ancient and sacred tongues of Dwarf Fortress' inhabitants?", I thought to myself, as I delved into the raws. I felt unsure about my decision the entire time after I had made my additions to the language files. At least, until it came time to name my new fortress. Needless to say, if I wasn't sure about my decision before...

Spoiler:  I am now. (click to show/hide)

The only question that remains is, how much maturity points do I lose for not only being entertained enough by this to make a thread about it, but also chuckling like a five-year-old every time it comes to mind?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:21:29 pm by King DZA »

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Erecting A New Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:48:04 am »

Well, let's just say you aren't in the running for Mr. Maturity anymore.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:34 pm »

What happened to gorerape?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »

At least you're not posting pictures to go along with the name. :-P
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:39:22 pm »

PLEASE. POST. NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:55 pm »

What happened to gorerape?

I watched a good portion of the fort get its ass kicked by a Forgotten Beastie with deadly dust.

That's not what made take a break from it though, oh no. What caused me to do that was the fact that immediately after it happened, I forced the game to close without saving so that I could try facing the stupid three-eyed bird again with less casualties.
However, the shame of save scumming was unbearable, and I simply couldn't bring myself to load the game back up. I couldn't help it...I lost so many good dwarves. I...I wasn't thinking straight. *sigh* But It's too late to go back now...

Sooo, I've decided to play through a fort or two in DFVD, regain my honor, and then hop back into Gorerape as a changed God-King, ready to face any challenge the game sees fit to throw at me and my drunken little subjects, no matter how devastating.

PLEASE. POST. NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Pictures of the fort? It's still pretty much only a hole in the ground at the moment, and the only interesting thing that's happened so far was my starting seven almost getting attacked by a giant crab.

Yep, Phallusballs has giant crabs.

Well, let's just say you aren't in the running for Mr. Maturity anymore.

Really? Damn. I even tried to keep it classy by not throwing rape in there somewhere. Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't post what I named the group, then...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »

I was going to post something... but... you've beaten me to it before you even started.

Take this.  It's a diploma.  You've graduated from the School of Girl and are now a practitioner of phalli in all applicable provinces.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:03 pm »

.....BWAHAHAHAHA....

I might need to go change my pants after that:p

... ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:45 pm »

(Erecting A New Fortress) I see what you did there...
Toady removed some of the words?! Why would he do that!?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:20 pm »

Because maybe 6 years ago he thought it was clever, and now he thinks it's kind of puerile?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:16:14 pm »

I ment post the language files.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:19:38 pm »

Because maybe 6 years ago he thought it was clever, and now he thinks it's kind of puerile?
That's silly.  He should've spent the time deleting bugs.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:34 pm »

Ah, I guess I could do that. Though if you just want the original words restored, you can go here.

If you want my minor additions as well, I would recommend waiting a bit. I seem to have overlooked something, so I need to do a bit a tweaking to get the dwarven translation for Fucker to show up properly...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:29 am »

Ah, I guess I could do that. Though if you just want the original words restored, you can go here.

If you want my minor additions as well, I would recommend waiting a bit. I seem to have overlooked something, so I need to do a bit a tweaking to get the dwarven translation for Fucker to show up properly...

Use 'elf'.

Had to post it before someone who was completely serious did so.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable