Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gotta catch 'em all!  (Read 1582 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Gotta catch 'em all!
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:02 pm »

There were three FBs in the second cavern, having between them noxious secretions, poisonous vapours, and deadly blood. The plan was simple: lure them in with a path to the fortress, then lock the door to slow them down while the bridge raised behind them and the wall was built beyond the door. I was expecting to catch one in each fork, but two of them came in sufficiently close to each other to both get caught.

The design is pretty simple. You have a capture chamber, with a raising bridge and a door. Beyond the door is a wall suspended at the 'nearly done' stage. To make the connection between cavern and fortress you start with an up stair and a natural wall on the level above it. You channel out the wall, making a gap in the floor above, and then construct a wall on the tile with the stairs. This allows you to keep your dwarf out of harm's way instead of having them go through the wall right next to the cavern. With this one I didn't do that completely, as the access tunnel doesn't have its own connection to the fortress. And it wouldn't have mattered anyway, because I had to quickly apply a burrow because there was some animalman stuff that demanded hauling. Sure guys, wander out into walking typhoon of bodily fluids, I don't mind.

The doors were left unlocked until the tick the FB had passed the bridge tile. Then the door was locked, the wall was unsuspended, and the lever was pulled. Between the emergency burrow and the meeting area on the level above, this happened very quickly. And that was that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta catch 'em all!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »

Those look a little too big for an ordinary pokeball... you'll need the big pokeball for sure... wait, what? Wrong game?!  What are you talking about?!! That punk kid with the electric hamster won't know what hit him when I release my "Athel Urvadasiz" at the tournament!

Why do you keep telling me its the wrong game!? I caught 3 unique ones already!

Fine, you know whatever... "athel urcadasiz, I CHOOSE YOU! Deadly Dudst attack, NOW!!"

[Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.]

What do you intend to do with your bottled beasties?  Deadly blood is very dangerous. A single cut and you have foot melting puddles.  Toxic gasses at least disperse.. but noxious secretions stick around too.

Do you intend to cause a kittycat furball to fall on them in the stasis chamber to induce scratching/biting/secretions, then wash the contaminants outside the fortress to cause unspeakable syndromes to the neighbors popping in for tea and biscuits or what?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:06:35 pm by wierd »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »

I heard f.b.s shot webs through fortifications in another thread: they were running a loom factory for it, and it had no path at all into the fort. In the olden days they needed a path or a "trigger" (e.g. kitten)

Which means the interactions rewrite might have negated the need for kittens, and f.b.s will just deploy whatever they've got given the chance.

You sir/lady are the first to have the chance to test for sure. For !!science!!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »

None of the OP's FB are webbers, so no...  Although it's confirmed, with the interaction rewrite creatures will use ranged attacks even without a path.  They still need something to shoot at, however, so kittens are still important.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:52 pm »

You sir/lady are the first to have the chance to test for sure. For !!science!!
Webbers have been tested already, and I caught one of my own last in-game year (yes, they spew webs as readily as if they had a path, no need for door tricks. I was using a ring of fortifications). There's also a deadly dust FB holed up in a column above the silk farm.

I guess it's fortification-carving time, just to confirm it...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.