Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preparation for taming the exotics!  (Read 3457 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preparation for taming the exotics!
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I never bothered to replace the PET_EXOTIC tag, and so I'm pretty excited about exotics becoming tameable.

Anybody have any preferred exotics they're especially excited about?

Right now I'm looking at the raws for a giant orca.  8 times the size of an elephant, no grazer tag.  I have a feeling something like that could absorb an awful lot of goblin arrows.  Of course, giant sponges are also exotics....

EDIT: Giant sperm whale.  40 times the size of an elephant.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:02:17 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Preparation for taming the exotics!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:54:56 pm »

Orcas are basically big dolphins. They are useless on land.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »

Giant Orca would probably be best left untame anyways, easier to butcher...

Groundhogs, myself.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »

time to make a underwater fort using vampires that can't drown. then WAR WHALES

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:01:03 pm »

Kind of reminds me of an episode of Highlander, where one of the immortals was shackled, stuffed into a sack and thrown into a river. He basically drowned, woke up a few minutes later and drowned again for something like sixty years...

I'm assuming vampires just don't need to breathe at all though.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »

nah, they probably don't even try to move into water, even if they can survive underwater forever(nor sure if they can tough)
probably because normal dwarves don't, and they might get suspicious.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:10:06 pm »

Orcas are basically big dolphins. They are useless on land.

All you got to do is run goblins past your aquarium.  Preferably on a narrow pathway.

Giant Orca would probably be best left untame anyways, easier to butcher...

Can't you butcher dead tames?  Assuming they weren't pets?

I do wonder how slaughter/pen/chain orders work on aquatics.  Does the aquatic need to be able to walk to get dragged to its destination?

EDIT: Oh hey, cool, cave blobs are pet_exotic and immortal.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:28:45 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:14:45 pm »

If I recall my aquatics properly, orcas ARE dolphins, though they're better known as killer whales. As in Shamu.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »

Underwater structures don't work, so aquatic civilizations aren't viable, sadly.

You can butcher wild animals that have died by any means.  Untamed creatures made to fall from a great height can be butchered - see "Mermaid Bone Farm."

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »

Good point with the new feature on the way i might have to revisit some old threads. (that mermaid thread was what originally got me into DF)

Good luck on future weaponizing my fellow DFers.

The mermaid bone thread for those that haven't read it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25967.0
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »

Cavern fort.  I had one with modding and it was lovely.  Having legitimate battle jabberers will be even better.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »

Giant Cave Spiders and Rocs. That's what I want to tame.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:09 pm »

I think you're thinking of flesh balls. Cave blobs are orange things who will, upon contact, give your dwarves minor blistering.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 10:11:13 pm »

I think you're thinking of flesh balls. Cave blobs are orange things who will, upon contact, give your dwarves minor blistering.

No, you can't tame flesh balls.  Cave blobs are orange things who will, upon contact, give my dwarves minor blistering, and are also tameable and immortal.  I like immortality.  I put immortal things in tiny watch towers and make them run ridiculous civilians-trigger logic circuits.

Edit: Oh, immortal as in no maxage, not immortal as in you can't chop them into tiny bits.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »

Aren't cave blobs basically liquid and very killable indeed? I swear I had one turn up a while ago and a hunter took it down with a single shot.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: [1] 2