Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about Barracks'  (Read 664 times)

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about Barracks'
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:07:03 pm »

Hello there, I well versed in the use of barracks, however I've never been able to figure a few things out. Mainly equipment storage. So i ask you:
1)When do dorfs use chests? What do they store?
2)When do they use cabinets? I assume they store clothing in them
3)When do they use weapon racks? I've never seen a single dorf use one to store their weapon.
4)Finally, when do they use armour racks? I assume it goes 1 suit of armour = 1 rack

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Barracks'
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »

You should note that dwarves will only store items in containers that they own due to owning the room the container is in. If the container isn't in a room, it won't be used.

1. Dwarves store items they own that aren't clothing, weapons, or armor in chests. They basically don't claim non-clothing items anymore, though, so unless they come with them they generally won't have anything to store, and they usually wear the stuff they come with until they die. Mostly, chests go unused.

2. Cabinets are similar, except for clothes. However, they will sometimes claim clothes, in vast quantities, so cabinets do get used.

3. Weapon racks are used to store weapons. If there's a weapon rack in a barracks and a soldier isn't set to carry equipment when off-duty, they'll put their weapons in the weapon rack when they go off-duty. Then a hauler will come by, take it off the weapon rack, and take it to a stockpile, so this isn't exactly a long-term storage solution ::)

4. Armor racks work just like weapon racks, namely in that they don't because stockpile storage is higher-priority than container storage.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Barracks'
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:54 pm »

Dwarves don't seem to store anything there. A barracks is just a place where dwarves will teach lessons, take lessons, and spar while on duty, and when off duty they will do independent combat drills.

While on duty they will automatically attack any hostiles they can see, which makes a barracks a good way to station a squad wherever you want them to be stationed. When there is nothing to attack they will practice their skills. If there is something to attack they will shoot it or stab it, then return to practicing once its been killed.