Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal taming fix!  (Read 3757 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Animal taming fix!
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »

We're going to start mixing in fixes for older problems to these releases now, starting with fortress exotic animal taming. The dungeon master is gone, replaced by training knowledge at the civilization and fortress level. I put in that infrastructure this morning, with the ability to view it from the Animals screen, and next I'll be adding the training status of individual creatures and changing how training jobs work (after another crayon run!). Right from the beginning, you'll be able to attempt to tame any critter you capture that is eligible (those with PET/PET_EXOTIC, i.e. most stuff). The trick will be that if you go out of your civilization's comfort zone, your fort might end up like a Fatal Attractions episode.

Attempts to tame/train creatures will add to your site's training knowledge of that creature, which augments future training of all creatures of that type. Civilization/fortress knowledge will help somewhat even if you don't have a skilled trainer around. For rare happenings like dragon taming for which there is no general knowledge, you'll want to have somebody decent at the job, though I suppose you could practice with any spare dwarves you have to build your knowledge base a bit, he he he.

Isn't awesome!? Toady has finally listened to our cries and is fixing the taming system!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal taming fix!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:17:21 pm »

With a better system, no less. This new general knowledge system sounds like a great idea. And a great way to generate fun.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »

Ha! Toady is implementing a new feature disguised as a bugfix. Loving it the same, though.

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:05 pm »

Yeah, this one is super cool.

If it works as he has indicated then it will be interesting, and it will mean that what the player does in fortress mode will have implications for their civilization as a whole... and if that is all true, then it will be possible to influence the future history of the world by having several player run fortresses that progress the civilizations grasp of animal training.

Seems like a really cool feature that will be even more interesting if other skills take on this same system.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »

Hopefully fortresses will be able to contribute to the civ in more ways too in future. I hope this means that digging to the HFS then retiring a fort and waiting a few years will result in civ-wide adamantine weapons :D
[Signature]

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:53:03 pm »

I'm glad it's finally being fixed, and it sounds like it's going to be a really interesting addition.

I just lament the death of the dungeon master, he was always one of my favorite nobles. I wish I could have had one under the current noble system, where I could draft him into the military and lead a horde of tamed beasties into combat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:12:11 pm »

Isn't awesome!? Toady has finally listened to our cries and is fixing the taming system!

Toady's always been listening :'(

Now his to-do list is getting shorter!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »

Praise  the Toad!

I'm suprised there isn't a meme image for this.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:42:48 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

puppy daub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:17:21 am »

I'm glad it's finally being fixed, and it sounds like it's going to be a really interesting addition.

I just lament the death of the dungeon master, he was always one of my favorite nobles. I wish I could have had one under the current noble system, where I could draft him into the military and lead a horde of tamed beasties into combat.

Yes, he was a cool guy.  Thanklessly taming the beasts, hording socks and capes, and doing the grunt work at the forge.  I will miss him, but this new system sounds even better.  I will welcome more flavor nobles like him back though.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:20 am »

I really like this idea, but I hope that he salvages the DM somehow.  Just make it a noble with skill in this area who immigrates like the king (but maybe only once you start taming cool stuff?) ...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:57 am »

Yes! Though, I find it amusing that almost immediately after he introduced all of those exotic pet species he replaces the system.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:56 am »

DM should be same as bookkeeper or any other appointed noble - any dworf, whomever you select, and who will fearlessly go feed the dragon upon your order, so it wouldn't involve random untrained animal trainers.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:11:04 am »

"In the early spring of 2012, Toady made a journey to the depths of the world and tamed the Dwarf Fortress fans that live there."

This update sounds great. It would be great if we could have the Dungeon Master back as an appointed noble in charge of the exotic creature knowledge system - kind of like the Chief Medical Dwarf is for the health system.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:38 am »

I won't miss him since he was away such a long time (Only had him in my first tutorial game and in some mods)
At least, if you want you can always mod him in.
For the system. One problem I foresee for this and other additions is that you get more and more dependent on your mother civ. Whether you get immigrants, a king, steel (anvil on embark), which civs are in war with you, ... But even less of this can be guessed from the preembark screen, so u have to be lucky in choosing the right civ or it might have consequences somewhere in the game (which might be nice or not)
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate this bug featuring but I also hope Today will include a civ overview at some point in the next time

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:20:32 am »

And a great way to generate fun.
And a great way to get rid of surplus migrants
Pages: [1] 2