Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battletech: Playing via MegaMek  (Read 6118 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battletech: Playing via MegaMek
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

Seeing as how noone else has started this yet I got bored and decided to do it myself. Topic is for discussion of Battletech and arranging games via MegaMek.

MegaMek: Program by which one can play Battletech, there is also another program that you can use to create mechs on the same site.
Solaris Skunk Werks: Another program that one can use to create mechs. Unsure whether it is better than MegaMeks builder but in my brief look at the two programs I liked this one's layout better. You can export mechs in a format that is useable with MegaMek.
Getting Started: Quick-start guide to Battletech.
Battletech Wiki: Exactly as the name implies. Good way for looking up various mechs and whatnot.

Steam Names
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:29:53 pm by userpay »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech: Playing via MegaMek
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:24:33 pm »

YES.

Steam name: RedKing75
Hadn't thought of it, but I guess I can add MegaMek as a non-Steam shortcut in the library.

Would we be playing with the latest stable release (0.34.10) or the latest dev release (0.35.28)?

Also, any particular thoughts on Era to play? Love me some 3025 classic action, but I'm not averse to Clan tech. Up to a point. After 3058, shit got derpy with a quickness.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »

Love me some 3025 classic action, but I'm not averse to Clan tech. Up to a point. After 3058, shit got derpy with a quickness.

I've never actually played it, but reading through the rulebooks, this is the same thing I was thinking.  So many damn options to keep track of after 3060.

I'd love to get in on some Inner Sphere or even Star League era action, I like a lot of the old school Mechs.

I've also promised Janet and Shadowdump and Chaoticag that at some point, I'm going to square off with them, Mech on Tank.  There's some crazy cool tanks in some of these books, and the Tech-Manual even has rules for making Infantry platoons.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:36:12 pm »

Heh. The tanks can be pretty crazy. So can infantry used right honestly, last night I had some infantry really mess with a hatchetman and my rommel tank shot the crap out of an assault mech and popped a light mech in a shot. I ended up losing because I wasn't sure how to deal with shadow's Supernova though XD

Personally I like all eras, they have their little pluses and minuses. About the only one I don't really like much is the clan invasion era, since there were some pretty big quality gaps that weren't represented very well in values.

Just curious, anyone have a favorite faction or anything? Since I know me and my sister can't be the only ones that tried to play up our builds as belonging to a faction instead of just being freeform.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:39:12 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:20 pm »

I don't actually have a steam account, and I am pretty much a noob as far as actually playing Battletech (I'm sure I'll find those core rulebooks eventually >_>), but I would still be totally up for this, if that's alright. I might as well learn, anyways, given how many people in my family play or at least used to.
(And no, I forgot to mess with MegaMek. D:)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:42:55 pm by Twi »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »

If you're totally new I'd recommend going Here For the quick start PDF to get some basic rules in your head. The universe one might be interesting to you too if you wanna learn more about the gameworld in addition.

After you're familiar with that the next step would be either the box or the Total Warfare book, though if you're just playing Megamek you're safe jumping to Total Warfare and using it mostly to get a clear idea of what Megamek is doing.

Userpay, you might wanna link to the getting started page and To Sarna in the first post. Might help out some newbies and get more people interested with easier to grab information and the free rules.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:45:41 pm by Janet »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »

There are some tremendously BV-efficient tanks out there. Don't know how you choose to balance your battles, but if it's by BV then you can do well with a few tanks.

And hover tanks are supremely dangerous with their charges, that can de-leg most mechs in a single hit.

I've a sudden urge to sign back in to MMNet and get some aerospace fights going on. :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:29:47 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »

Factionwise, I'm always partial to the factions that I played on the MUSEs: Free Rasalhague Republic, Free Worlds League, and Smithson's Chinese Bandits.

Although FRR is really a grim faction to play (for people not familiar with the setting, think of them as Poland, 1940 -- after generations of being oppressed by two major powers, they get their independence...and then promptly get steamrolled by the invading Clans and lose 90% of their territory)

Really, I enjoy all of the Inner Sphere factions except the bland goody-two-shoe Davions. Never was much for playing as the Clans.

EDIT: I should also have PDFs floating around on my HD of virtually all of the original sourcebooks if someone wants a particular faction book or TR or scenario pack.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:56:06 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »

Unsure if you should be advertising offering PDF scans Redking.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »

I think this is the core rule book. It's just 15 dollars. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64580

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

That's for the RPG. The core rulebook for the wargame is officially Total Warfare.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:15:40 pm »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »

Unsure if you should be advertising offering PDF scans Redking.

Hmm...99% of what I got as PDF is stuff that's completely out of print. But point taken.

EDIT: Huh. Apparently battlecorps.com is actually selling most of those PDFs for $5-10 a piece. That's fucking annoying. Way to milk a license, guys.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:31:32 pm by RedKing »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »

Thanks for the links Janet, title post updated. Added a Steam name spoiler for quick reference (turn it into a generic list of players with Steam names if they've posted it?). I personally don't have the Steam names of many people from this forum so if you don't mind other people knowing your Steam name please post here so I can add it to the list or if you don't want me to put it on the general list but would like me to have your name either message me on Steam or pm it to me here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »

It is kind of a sticky topic, about how to acquire out-of-print rulebooks for a defunct game from a defunct company.  Probably best to play it safe though.

Just curious, anyone have a favorite faction or anything? Since I know me and my sister can't be the only ones that tried to play up our builds as belonging to a faction instead of just being freeform.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the gameworld's history as I feel like I am, but I am slightly turned off by the way most of the galaxy is basically Elizabethan Europe, or Renaissance Europe, on a galactic scale.  Likewise, as much as I dismiss the later-era rules, its the 3060s factions I'm most familiar with since that's what the all the MechWarrior games were about.

If I had to pick favorites, I'd say the Lyran Alliance and it's successor factions, because I love the romance of old school nobility in science fiction and playing the Bad Guy; and the Clan Wolf In Exile and it's satellite of powers like the Wolf's Dragoons, because I like the backstory with the splintering of the Clans, and they've got their whole gritty-antihero thing going on.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: [1] 2